TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE Raw is HD - January 21, 2008

The only noticeable problem I had on 4:3 was when Kennedy and HBK were jockeying for position on the turnbuckle, HBK was completely cut out of the picture.

Oh NO~! THREE opponents?!

In situations like this, why doesn't the evil authority figure make them run through the ENTIRE roster?

Magic Number is 3, always 3.

Well, can't comment on the HD-iness of the show, since we don't get USA-HD, but I did think the picture on SD was a little sharper. The sound actually seemed better than usual, too.

The new entrance is really cool. While similar to the old one in some ways, it doesn't feel like the old set at all, and that's a good thing.

I think I could have turned the show off after the HBK-Kennedy match and been fine, but that match was worth tuning in. Nice match where they didn't get stupid and try to do too much.

I liked the first hour of the show, but the second hour started to drag a bit.

HBK vs Kennedy was a really solid match, some innovative offensive from both competitors and solid selling for the most part.

Beth vs Mickie was solid for what it was, though I don't think the two women have much in ring chemistry and have seen both have better matches with other opposnents.

I actually got a chuckle out of the Holly, Rhodes and Kendrick backstage segment - mostly for Kendrick. I remember him being brutal in backstage segments - I wonder if that was taped. I love when a wrestler has a lisp it's overlooked, but you take a perfectly speaking wrestler like Matt Morgan and give him a studder. Holly still bores the hell out of me, but at last they're giving some dynamic to the Rhodes/Holly team with Holly being the old curmudgeon and Rhodes being the young foil sidekick.

I thought the Highlanders were moved to SD!/ECW? Is the brand split not even pretended to be in effect anymore? Was there an explanation on ECW last week? Rory has gotten pretty fat lately - I don't think the Highlanders are long for the company. I don't know what role this match had other than to get Hornswoggle on programming I guess.

Jericho's promo was top notch as well. He and JBL can play really well off each other. I like that the wwe realized that the goofy Jericho with shiny vest was passe.

I would have hoped Kendrick would have upset any wrestler other than Umaga last night. Umaga has fallen hard and fast and probably needs to move to SD and soon. What is London out with? How long is he expected out? I think both London and Kendrick could make it as singles, though I'm a pretty big London mark.

Carlito vs Holly was just there and was a throwaway nothing match to give Carly his heat back.

There was really a hard sell for the Main Event at RR between Hardy and Orton - doesn't the acutal rumble usually sell the PPV. Not so it seems this year. I liked the backstage segments each had with VKM and the video montages. Even the final staredown at the end wasn't bad, but as has been mentioned it basically guarenteed that Hardy isn't winning on Sunday and I agree that Hardy should have shook his hand after he put him out.

I thought for sure there would have been a "fourth" competitor that would have came and eliminated HHH with Regal not being an official competitor and all. Especially when he was posing on the second rope after the Regal elimination. I guess he's needed in the RR...

The announcers seemed to call the show more seriously tonight and I'm in favor of the change if it was a conscious effort and will be going forward. They sold the drama in matches and put over the talent more than selling the storyline. It's as if JBL was feeding them lines in the back instead of the regular voice in the ear.

Add me to the "annoyed by 4:3 viewers getting screwed over on turnbuckle shots". We couldn't even see what was happening during the superplex attempt in Kennedy/HBK!

I thought Jericho's entrance looked really cool on the new set.

I noticed a lot of things looked crisper and more vibrant in SD on my LC HDTV (with no HD), especially any on screen graphic, but the flip side of that is I've been a retard for over a year and decided to just watch everything in fullscreen because I didn't notice any bad stretching and I liked "filling the screen", but I see now that was dumb so I have the TV set to 4:3 unless I'm watching a WS DVD. I've had it for over a year, I think I'm finally going to sign-up for the HD package our cable company offers.

Yeah, that HHH gauntlet thing was quite strange. It seemed like Regal wasn't really the 3rd man and I kept waiting for him to announce the real 3rd man. But then Regal just sorta....was. I think they realized HHH had nothing to do at the PPV if he wasn't in the Rumble, and that if Big Show was indeed the real 3rd man then it makes more sense to debut him at the Rumble and cost HHH the match.

I think the new set would look better if it had that screen part from the left side on the right side as well, making the TitanTron centered between the two. It looks a little awkward as it is now with everything off to the left and nothing on the right.