TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

Matches that shouldn't have been on PPV

Taz vs. Buh Buh Ray Dudley for the ECW Title at Hardcore Heaven '99.

are you kidding me? i loved that match!

So do I, but should a world champion against one half of a tag team be on PPV? Probably not.

It made sense, though. Candido was on his way out, and Taz demolished him in quick fashion very early in the night, but Candido hired the Dudley Boyz to be his back-up. D-Von then "broke" his hand by hitting somebody backstage (Chris Chetti, Taz's cousin), so Buh Buh Ray wanted to take Taz out.

...that, and there simply WEREN'T any believable challengers to Taz in the singles division. Who else would he have faced at the time? They were building RVD up still, Tajiri just started to get over, ditto Super Crazy, Dreamer was in a feud with Credible and Storm, Douglas was gone, Candido was out, and though the fans loved them they never would've believed Balls Mahoney or Axl Rotten as top challengers to the belt. It was kind of a shot-in-the-dark, but it did produce a pretty entertaining fight.

edited: anybody after Steve Austin Vs. Vince McMahon

Jericho & Christian Vs. Trish & Lita - Armageddon 2003

Guerrero Vs. Layfield - Judgment Day 2004, I was strongly against JBL's push initially.

anybody vs. Khali

anybody Vs. Vince McMahon

Jericho & Christian Vs. Trish & Lita - Armageddon 2003

Guerrero Vs. Layfield - Judgment Day 2004, I was strongly against JBL's push initially.

anybody vs. Khali

You honestly think Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon, a feud that sent the WWE into the stratosphere, shouldn't have been on PPV?

Granted, some of his other matches maybe, but that is one instance of the "boss being in the main event" that I could buy hook, line, and sinker.

LT vs. Bam Bam, who gave a fuck about that?? I knew nothing about the inner workings of wrestling when I was 10 years old and that still blew my mind why that was the main event at Wrestlemania 11.

You honestly think Steve Austin vs. Vince McMahon, a feud that sent the WWE into the stratosphere, shouldn't have been on PPV?

EFA

LT vs. Bam Bam, who gave a fuck about that?? I knew nothing about the inner workings of wrestling when I was 10 years old and that still blew my mind why that was the main event at Wrestlemania 11.

Without LT Vs Bam Bam, WrestleMania 11 wouldn't have gotten 1/100th of the attention it did and it may have not even have sold out the fricking Hartford Civic Center.

Besides, screw the haters, that is the Steamboat-Flair of matches involving celebrities. It's not that bad

:huh:

Have you even seen that match? It's one of the best, if not the best, SmackDown-only PPV main events that I can think of!

I am not much into JBL either, and his matches tend to be very boring if they are not gimmicked, but this match owns.

Taz vs. Buh Buh Ray Dudley for the ECW Title at Hardcore Heaven '99.

are you kidding me? i loved that match!

So do I, but should a world champion against one half of a tag team be on PPV? Probably not.

Eh, FWIW it happened at Wrestlemania last year. Tag Champions fighting each other for the WWE title. Still, I too would rather not see it happen.

I love Ultimate Warrior vs HHH at Wrestlemania 12 mainly due to Warrior eating a Pedigree then standing up and laughing in HHH's face. I've been waiting years for another disgruntled WWE employee to do the same thing.

off topic, but speaking of the Pedigree. HHH hasn't been a blue blood for the better part of about 10 years now. Why was the name of his finisher never changed? I always figured "Game Over" would've been a perfect replacement name for the Pedigree. Though, he wasn't "The Game" until when? 1999?

:huh:

Have you even seen that match? It's one of the best, if not the best, SmackDown-only PPV main events that I can think of!

I am not much into JBL either, and his matches tend to be very boring if they are not gimmicked, but this match owns.

Let's play devils advocate here for a second. Is the match good because it's a good match, or is it good because Eddy Guerrero bled buckets trying to make JBL a star? Personally, I remember the match more for Eddy's insane blade-job, but it was an acceptable brawl, nonetheless. I greatly enjoyed the PPV as a whole however. It looked horrible on PPV, but a lot of the matches were pretty good. Another thing I remember from the show is Rene Dupree landing a stiff shot to John Cena (intentional?), followed by Cena laying into Dupree with so many stiff shots, that Dupree had to duck out of the ring.

For most of these it's not whether it was a great match, but something you could sell a PPV on. I think "Matches that shouldn't have Main Evented a PPV" would be apropos. Eddie Guerrero vs. Bradshaw may have qualified, though thankfully the match ended up better than anyone anticipated.

Ron Simmons vs. The Barbarian (for the WCW World Title!) is my addition to the thread.

off topic, but speaking of the Pedigree. HHH hasn't been a blue blood for the better part of about 10 years now. Why was the name of his finisher never changed? I always figured "Game Over" would've been a perfect replacement name for the Pedigree. Though, he wasn't "The Game" until when? 1999?

New name for The Pedigree during his DX days: Degenerate Drop. :lol:

I'm not going to check to see if these were mentioned, but here are things that I think fit the category well.

Diesel vs. King Mabel from Summerslam 95

Undertaker vs. the Dudleys from Great American Bash '04.

Hulk Hogan vs. the Butcher from Starrcade '94

Bunkhouse Stampede '88

A very large portion of Starrcade '99

Everything involving the KISS Demon

I think I made my point. The latter two feature things that never even should've been on television, much less something you're paying to watch. There are many more of the first few, but those that I mentioned were among the worst main events that have been on PPV.