TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Kawalimus

What songs should be banned?

Also, let's ban every patriotic country song that has ever been recorded, just for good measure. We already have enough of an irrational jingoistic epidemic in this country- let's not encourage the problem by pumping this propaganda into the ears of our stupid, impressionable youth while they are trying to enjoy themselves at the hog-tie competition.

Are you with me?

Agreed. After 9/11 happened, when proud to be an american was played at Ravens Stadium the next game it was moving. Now with them actually bringing Lee Greenwood to the stadium to sing it sometimes and playing it EVERY GAME since then, it's lost its touch.

See that's what I'm saying. In Modern Times, everything is overexposed. Nothing's special anymore.

Despite being the most pretentious band on the planet, I really like Tool.

Coldplay says HI-YO!

What? Of all the criticisms to make of Coldplay. :huh:

uh what? he was talking about the most pretentious band on the planet and I mentioned one that was more pretentious. There are plenty of other criticisms to be made, no doubt.

Colplay aren't pretentious, they're just really boring.

How is Teen Spirit Nirvana's worst song? Try listening to some of the ultra ragged 2nd half of Incesticide with gems like Beeswax or Hairspray Queen.

Anyway, I won't say all Pearl Jam songs should be banned but it's beyond time to ease up on Alive, Evenflow, and Jeremy. I do like the fact that Black is getting more airplay than it used to.

In Louisville there's the rock station The Fox and every day at noon they have the "90s at Noon" hour. I don't know what idiots call in to this and request stuff, but I am sick and tired of Alice in Chains being played on there every day.

Oh, and I'd also like nearly all Red Hot Chili Peppers singles after One Hot Minute to be retired forever. None of them are all THAT good, yet constantly on the radio.

You should go more in-depth about your Steppenwolf hatred. That's a good band to hate.

Mine will be the Eagles, now and forever, but a lot of people can't stand them.

For something a little more personal, I'll say Queensryche.

Operation: Mindcrime is great. It's the only concept album I've ever heard that I didn't think was a bunch of pretentious masturbation. Plus I like how all the songs sound the same, but they're not.

That I've ever heard. You'd be shocked if you knew how limited my musical horizons are. I just downloaded Sweet Sensation's 1990 hit single "If Wishes Came True." You think I have time for Sufjan Stevens and his album-about-a-state du jour?

Plus I hate the idea of the concept album in general. Besides, I didn't say it was the BEST ever. At least not in terms of the music itself. Just the first that didn't strike me as self-indulgent buttfuckery.

I didn't realize the gravity of that statement when I wrote it, but I'm sure it will incur the wrath of Czech and Inc and others. I don't care! I'm like Pat Spoon circa fall '06, I'm taking the populist stance. Nickelback isn't the best band on earth? Well why did they sell 6 million copies of their last album, then? HUH?

Guest Blue Man Czech

Don't bother with Sufjan Stevens. He isn't very good.

Come on, you didn't like Animals or Pet Sounds? I think concept albums are good. I'm in favor of them, usually. You can have an overarching concept without being an overwrought rock opera like The Wall.

I do like Stevens' Illinois album, though, because of the song about Gacy, and the one about one of my hometowns which is pretty small and unnoticed ("Jacksonville").

Back in middle school, KISS' Music From The Elder was my favorite concept album. Listening to it now, it might just be the cheesiest album of all time. Though I still maintain "The Oath" and "A World Without Heroes" (The latter was written by Lou Reed!) are pretty kick ass.

Oh who am I kidding? It's probably my 2nd favorite KISS album. Milky, what are your thoughts on KISS?

I'd like to add everything by Live to the list, especially "Lightening Crashes"

Never been a KISS fan. Their status as cultural icons is interesting, but their music I find too simplistic to be particularly compelling. Decent party rock, but I don't get into it as much as, say, AC/DC.

However, I would call myself an Ace Frehley fan, and even occasionally enjoy his solo output.

Side note: in my flirtations with playing the bass, about the only song I ever really learned to play was "Strutter". It is probably my favorite KISS song. Although, since I'm a fag, I actually learned from the Donnas version.

I LOVE shitty hair metal but I've never liked Kiss. I don't know if there's one song I'd say I like by them. In fact, my favorite is probably that ballad they wrote with Bolton and I wouldn't even say I like it. It's just OK, but that's better than most of their output. Their music isn't melodic enough, it's all riffs.

Speaking of KISS, whatever happened to Paul Stanley (The TSM poster)? That guy was our resident crappy retro music (And KISS) lover. I miss him.

All I remember about him was that he loved Hair Metal.

Come on, you didn't like Animals or Pet Sounds?

Huh? The occasional household item as instrument part aside, how is Pet Sounds a concept album? It's just a really great collection of songs, they're not linked thematically.

Back in middle school, KISS' Music From The Elder was my favorite concept album. Listening to it now, it might just be the cheesiest album of all time. Though I still maintain "The Oath" and "A World Without Heroes" (The latter was written by Lou Reed!) are pretty kick ass.

Oh who am I kidding? It's probably my 2nd favorite KISS album. Milky, what are your thoughts on KISS?

I didn't know Chuck Klosterman posted here.

I didn't know Chuck Klosterman posted here.

How can you not love it?

Actually most KISS fans really hate this album. Even Gene Simmons has gone as far as to say "It was good but it wasn't KISS good"

I'd like to add everything by Live to the list, especially "Lightening Crashes"

I like "Lightning Crashes", but yea it does get overplayed. The rock stations around here blow-up the radio with "Selling the Drama" more than "Lightning Crashes", though. Now, "Overcome", as cheesy as it may be, is a classic IMO. I marked out something fierce when it was used to close-off the 2nd season of The Shield.

I'd be happy never hearing "Lightning Crashes" again.

I never want to hear "Old-Time Rock n Roll" at another wedding again. Or most traditional wedding songs for that matter. If I get married, I'm going to have a notebook full of songs that the DJ is outlawed from playing.

I've also had enough of anything the Black Eyed Peas have ever done. Fergie's solo work is almost there too.

Guest Blue Man Czech
It's also not a very good song. I know some people dismiss sampling in music, but Lil Jon took the most interesting part of Crazy Train and made it into a better song.

Now this is effective fucking sampling.