TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Nightwing

General DC Discussion

Might as well make one for a universe I'm more familiar with.

The Big Three: So, with Johns, Morrison, and Simone basically righting the flagship books (With Buziek dulling me a bit and Dini writing perfectly-acceptable little detective stories) after a few bad moves (John's "Let's make a run on the Ultimates" delayed run with Donner, anything Wonder Woman before Simone, and a lackluster Ra's Crossover not living up to the hype), what do people think of the health of the DC Franchises?

The Final Countdown: Countdown has improved enough to be a bit fun in the last month or so, and most of the irritatingly bad is out of the way (Arena, Multiverse Traveling stuff), but some good as come out of it. In particular, the Countdown to Mystery has a pretty great interpretation of the new magical world and the new Dr. Fate is pretty damn cool. Is this series too contaminated to pull off a good ending, or can it redeem itself for a lackluster midsection?

Unsung Heroes: To me, DC has some of the best stuff that nobody seems to notice. Checkmate is probably the best political thriller out there, and can make just about any cameo fit (From Superman to Shadowpact). Speaking of the Shadowpact, this is a fun romp through the magical backwoods of the DC Universe. Other books, like All-New Atom and Blue Beetle, are also unnoticed books with good writing and fun characters. Opinions?

Buddy Cop Feature: Mandatory Green Lantern/Green Lantern Corps topic. Any thoughts on the best tandem book out there?

Right now, I think that Booster Gold is the best DC book out there. What's not to like about a book where the lead character gets to revisit all kinds of important moments in DC history, balancing humor and strong storytelling.

If you want to ride something a little less mainstream, pick up the last few issues of The Spirit. I'll admit that I was skeptical about how the book would go after Darwin Cooke left, but they've been doing issues with short stories featuring all kinds of great writers like Dennis O'Neil, Gail Simone, Jimmy Palmiotti, Walt Simonson and Kyle Baker. This month's issue starts Sergio Aragnone's run on the Spirit, and as a writer and artist he's much more diverse in his talent than just his Groo stuff.

Total agreement on Booster Gold. I was little unsure of the title but I picked it up because of Johns. It is easily one of the most enjoyable books out there.

The Superman books have been solid but not spectacular. I was disappointed in the fill-in stories breaking up the Johns-Donner run and Busiek's "Camelot Falls" story. The Camelot story started out very interesting but fell flat at the end.

The Batman universe has been hit and miss with me. Morrison has disappointed me on his run, while I have beem enjoying Dini's run. It makes me feel like I am reading the old Batman Adventures book from when I was younger, and when I would watch Batman: TAS.

The book that I am really enjoying is JSA. The book has been serious yet has had its humorus moments, i.e Starman. This and Green Lantern have been the books that I am most looking forward to reading every month, while I still pick up JLA, Salvation Run, Flash (hate the kids though).

Is anyone reading Gotham Underground? I picked up books 2 and 3 at the comic shop last night and ordered issue 1 online (they were sold out in store). I guess the first 5 are out now though. It looked interesting to me, but I can't start until that first issue shows up. Any thoughts?

It's kind of interesting. I'm a guy who really likes a book with a large cast of characters (Salvation Run, Green Lantern Corps, Birds of Prey, Checkmate), so I'm digging it. I'm really looking forwards to find out the whole

Stephanie business and whether it's really her (brought back during IC) or not

It's kind of interesting. I'm a guy who really likes a book with a large cast of characters (Salvation Run, Green Lantern Corps, Birds of Prey, Checkmate), so I'm digging it. I'm really looking forwards to find out the whole

Stephanie business and whether it's really her (brought back during IC) or not

Cool. I am definately looking forward to it. Last time I went to the comic store was around the time Booster Gold Issue 1 came out. I remember picking that up and really enjoying it, but I haven't had a chance to stop by since. Issue number 3 of GU caught my eye with the Riddler/Two-Face cover and I picked up 2 and 3 with 5,6 and 0 (7) of Booster. They didn't have the others on either series, so I ordered the first on Underground and 2,3,4 of Booster on eBay when I got home last night. I just can't look at this new stuff until it comes out!

Quick quesion, obviously you are a big Bat-fan too with Nightwing as a name, do you or anyone else know anything on Batman: Rest in Peace? My buddy has been telling me he heard something about it being a new series. We asked the guy at the store who is usually pretty knowledgable about it but he said he knows nothing yet. Anyone know anything?

Loving Booster Gold right now, there's some hilarious stuff in that book. JSA has been consistently awesome as well.

But Green Lantern is the real MVP of the DCU right now. It's been amazing how Johns seems to have like a 5 year plan going on ever since Hal came back. The 'Blackest Night' stuff doesn't even start till 2009

Those are pretty much the only comics I'm paying attention to these days.

Quick quesion, obviously you are a big Bat-fan too with Nightwing as a name, do you or anyone else know anything on Batman: Rest in Peace? My buddy has been telling me he heard something about it being a new series. We asked the guy at the store who is usually pretty knowledgable about it but he said he knows nothing yet. Anyone know anything?

A lot of things, but I'm not sure what's true.

Some things seem to point to Batman actually dying: Apparently there was talk at DC of actually killing him off as well as turning him into one of the New Gods of the Fifth World. Also, the fact that Morrison said that his "Final Crisis" would be done as an "All-Star Superman story" if it didn't get approved, which suggests that someone major is going down and, along with the tag-line, it seems that someone major is going to die. By process of elimination (We've already had a Flash death, Hawkman is a total red herring, Hal has already died, Wonder Woman is the only true top woman in DC, and Superman has already died once...), I think it's going to be Bats. Along with the fact that most of Morrison's run has been concerned with death and Batman, it seems to be appropriate.

But (And I can't remember where I heard this) I've read that it might be a "It's a Wonderful Life" kind of deal showing a world after Batman dies. I hope to God that isn't it, as I hate when they tease someone's death and do a stupid cop-out. I don't think someone as creative as Morrison would do that, though.

It's a weird position: DC would almost come off as a copy of Marvel when they did Cap's death, though I trust that DC will make Batman's a bit more epic and appropriate. Batman's death might even affect more people than Cap, at least, character-wise: Yes, Captain America has a much more public affect, but Batman dying has huge implications not only for the heroes, but for a lot of villains as well. His rogue's gallery is arguably the best of any comic-book character, along with a larger (and more important) supporting cast (Nightwing/Oracle/Red Robin/Robin/Batgirl vs. Falcon/Winter Soldier/Sharon Carter... uh...). I'd applaud them for it, but I'm sure that many people would decry the move as simply copying Marvel.

Nothing is for sure, though. DC is a lot more closed-lipped about things than "Let's spoil Spidey's unmasking a month in advance" Marvel.

Short term, it would be a financial boom if DC were to kill of Bruce Wayne. Long term (several years down the line) it would be a huge mistake. People would not be able to accept the idea of this not being the Batman they are most familiar with.

I remember being 14 when AzBats took over the mantle and everyone that I talked to hated the new Batman. We all knew that Bruce would be back and that would be the hurdle that faces DC. Would DC being able to hold off on not bringing back Bruce Wayne as Bats, thus cheaping his possible death? I don't know if they could.

So, Black Adam: The Dark Age ended with

Black Adam arrives at Fawcett City and accidentally discoveres that the new transformation word Captain Marvel changed back in 52 was in fact "Chocolate Egg Cream". With his original power returned, he flies to Fate's Tower and confronts Faust. Faust attempts to resurrect Isis, but the resurrection fails, and Isis' bones crumble to the floor. Faust blames Black Adam for using Isis' power too much, and distraught, Black Adam flies away, ending up in the Kahndaq embassy in Gotham City. It is revealed that the bones that Faust showed to Black Adam belonged to Ralph Dibny, and Faust resurrects Isis successfully. With her under his power, he exits the tower.

Black Adam isn't going to be a happy camper later on..remember the last time he got pissed? >.>

and I'm really looking forward to The Flash: Rouge's Revenge in June. I imagine that Wally is going to be pissed that Inertia gets loose, and I wonder what Zoom will want/be doing when he pops up again.

Figuring out Black Adam's word in his mini-series was so beyond brilliant. I loved it so much, because it was so perfectly in character for Billy Batson. Hopefully this means that Black Adam's story isn't done yet.

Guest ChikoDemono

Mark me as another Booster Gold fan. I plan to pick up his Showcase Presents, which will be weird since the first series is.. what, 20 - 23 years old?

Countdown has been very hit or miss, though it's been tightening up recently.

Marked out for:

Piper being able to summon a boom tube with his flute AND being able to play the anti-life equation.

I had to re-read it several times just because of how awesome that was. I really hope he goes on to bigger and better things. The man deserves it. Sure, his former buddies are blunderfucking in Salvation Run, being attacked by whateverthefuck they are every 5 minutes, but still. The man went to hell.

"What kind of hell doesn't have rats?" - Issue 10

Has anyone watched Justice League: The New Frontier yet? I thought this was very well done, although their were some things changed it worked very well. Jeremy Sisto was great as Batmam, and Miguel Ferrer as Jon'n Jonz'z were great. I was very impressed with Brooke Shields voicing of Carol Ferris.

Yeah I saw it last week, I think its my favorite animated Direct to DVD movie that either DC or Marvel have done yet.

For those who have the New Frontier DVD, would you suggest the single disc or double disc on that one? That was my hold up. I was gonna buy the double disc at Best Buy with the free Green Lantern figure, but the Green Lantern figure ended up being like 3 inches and not as impressive as I was expecting (like old school Happy Meal quality). So I passed for then. Just can't determine if it is worth the extra 7 bucks for the second disc or not.

Well, I bought the Blu-Ray Disc and I think the extras make it worth it. There was no Lantern figure though.

Well, I bought the Blu-Ray Disc and I think the extras make it worth it. There was no Lantern figure though.

Yeah, I thought that was weird. The Blu-Ray had no special thing, but if you got the Double Disc one at Best Buy, which has the same content as the Blu-Ray, you got it. It was in a special package, when I went on Wednesday night, there were only a couple left, but it didn't justify getting it for me like sometimes those special throw-in promotions do.

Mark me as another Booster Gold fan. I plan to pick up his Showcase Presents, which will be weird since the first series is.. what, 20 - 23 years old?

Pfff....I have the original issues :headbang:

For those who have the New Frontier DVD, would you suggest the single disc or double disc on that one? That was my hold up. I was gonna buy the double disc at Best Buy with the free Green Lantern figure, but the Green Lantern figure ended up being like 3 inches and not as impressive as I was expecting (like old school Happy Meal quality). So I passed for then. Just can't determine if it is worth the extra 7 bucks for the second disc or not.

I was able to get the 2 disc one for an extra 3 bucks so I went for it. Its got a nice little doc about the legion of doom, and three episodes of JLU, all and all pretty good stuff. It was worth the extra 3 bucks but despite it only being 4 bucks more 7 is a judgment call. Personally I would go for it.

I find it interesting that Robin is still a very likeable, cool character in every book he's in- except for Teen Titans, where's he's a dick. He's like the Eric Bischoff of the Titans at this point.

Aside from that, DC has me hooked at this point, between Countdown, the upcomming Final Crisis, what's been happening in Batman, and

the apparent return of Stephanie 'Spoiler' Brown

in Robin nd Gotham Underground. The only things Marvel has going for me right now is CAptain America, Runaways (whcih can't seem to keep a steady release schedual) and Astonishing X-Men (same deal. Hey Joss! Pretend it's TV and get a book out in time!) EManwhile DC has Shadowpact, Checkmate, Superman... hell, even CATWOMAN is intersting me now!

As for New Fronteir, I'd get the two disker, but I'm an extra's freak. That bein said, DC outdoes themselvs with those docs- I would actually pay money just to buy the Documentary disks.

Can someone summarize/review what's been going on in "Countdown to Final Crisis"? I hear a lot of bad things about it, but no one ever says what they don't like.

Can someone summarize/review what's been going on in "Countdown to Final Crisis"? I hear a lot of bad things about it, but no one ever says what they don't like.

Back from the hospital and feeling good!

Wiki does a decent enough job of summarizing, though, for the most part it comes down to

The New Gods, particularly Apokalips, setting things into motion trying to save each other from their own destruction. In particular, Darkseid and the main Monitor antagonist Solomon are basically playing a chess game, moving people into place trying to defeat each other's plans.

Overall, the biggest problem has probably been the ridiculously slow forward progress and the lack of interest in characters in general. Trickerster and Piper were great, Mary Marvel had promise, and Jason Todd has proven to be more and more interesting. But for the most part, they chose characters (Karate Kid and Triplicate Girl stand out) that weren't interesting at all and the plots (which tied together in the end) just didn't move at all for the longest time. In particular, the "Challengers of the Multiverse" storyline stands out as one that moved WAY too slow. They sort of recovered a for about a month with really good stuff, but then they went back to a lot of crap no one could care less about. Oh well.

Also, a few things:

Blue Beetle pretty much came of age this week. Excellent ending to a long-term arc, showing Blue become a real hero and tying up a bunch of loose ends (Even ones that came before the series, like the words "Khaji Da!").

The fact that GI Robot is back into continuity (especially with how he is set up) is going to make it way too hard to wait for the next issue of Checkmate. That's the one thing I love about DC: Its ability to bring back old, old characters in new and interesting ways.

And Shadowpact needs more exposure. I wasn't exactly hot on the earlier part of the run (The "Rules of Engagement" thing was basically teased at the end of every issue and was kind of lame), but they've really got some interesting things going, especially with the 'semi-rotating' roster.

Yea, definitely anyone who hasn't, needs to read Blue Beetle up to issue 25. Although I believe it's getting a new writer now? So I don't know how the quality will be in the future, but at this moment it really has earned the "Best title no one's reading" moniker.

Great supporting cast created within the book, as well as a great relationship built with a few other characters in his short time as Beetle. Guy freakin Gardner! So yea, Blue Beetle is definitely recommended.

I've been wanting to try the Beetle series again. I really wasn't getting into the first story arc.

The writers even admit the first arc wasn't that great, but the series has been a real blast since.

Anyway here is the Cover for DC Universe #0 (only 50 cents) previewing some of the major storylines that DC is having this year

DCU.ZERO-Cv1-R5.jpg

Written by Grant Morrison and Geoff Johns; Art by George Pérez, Tony Daniel, J.G. Jones, Aaron Lopresti, Ivan Reis, Philip Tan and Carlos Pacheco; Cover by various

This is it! The greatest DC characters! Your favorite writers and artists! Everything leading to Final Crisis and beyond starts here for just 50¢! Take a journey through the past and present of the DCU, and witness the emergence of the greatest evil in the universe — and the stunning return of a force for good! You dare not miss DC Universe: Zero!

On sale April 30th

Here is this week's DC Nation by Dan Didio teasing many things.

So we were working a little late the other night when the phone rings. At this hour it's one of two things: Geoff Johns wanting to talk through his newest story idea (the dude never stops thinking) or my mom wondering why I never call her. Either way, I have to take the call. Now imagine my surprise when I find the voice on the line to be Frank from Boston. Frank, a longtime reader, first-time caller, somehow found a way to get to my direct line. (Kids, do not try this at home! Normally there is a small but very powerful Italian lady named Simona who can stop these calls in four languages. There are other ways to reach me. This is not one of them.)

Anyway, Frank, once over the shock that he actually got through to me, was very concerned over a rumor he heard in his local comics shop. Now, if you've seen me at conventions, you know I hate responding to rumors. I feel they spread misinformation and are usually pushing someone's personal agenda. Conversely, though, I do love the chatter and excitement that comes from fans talking about their favorite characters, things that just happened and guessing what might be coming next. With so many great stories heading your way — "Final Crisis"; "Batman R.I.P."; "Trinity"; "Kingdome Come sequel"; "The Dark Side Club"; "Blackest Night"; "The Manazons," just to name a few— it would be hard not to speculate about what might be happening next. In good conscience, I decided to use this column to put some rumors to rest; that way we can keep the conversation going on all the real stuff coming your way.

Only problem, since I hate mentioning rumors, I will just give the answers to the top five…

Number 5. Yes, it's true: he is returning and sooner than you think.

Number 4. Nope, didn't do it then and have no plans to try to do it again.

Number 3. Don't worry, he'll be back in FINAL CRISIS in all his glory.

Number 2. Wrong. This time final means final. Seriously.

Number 1. Last one is a tough one. The change is coming, it's just not the way everyone thinks.

Well, there you have it! That should put all the crazy rumors to rest. Hopefully, you feel better now. I know I do. It's a relief finally getting that off my chest!

As for Frank, I hope he takes this column and shows it to his friend at the comics store. Yes, there is plenty more All Star heading your way. Grant has Superman stories past his 12 issues with Mr. Quitely, and Frank and Jim plan to keep ALL STAR BATMAN going into next year.

And that's a fact.

To be continued… DD

I hope that "Manazons" is a joke. Out of the stories mentioned, Blackest Night is going to be great. "Kingdome Come: Sequel", has me intrigued but I hope Ross and Waid are involved in it.