TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
KGB

NHL Thread, March 2008

Thank you Donald Brashear for being a retard.

Bruins win 2-1 on two 5-on-3 goals late in the third and retake 6th in the conference. They're at the Rags tomorrow, hopefully they can put some distance between them.

Had a feeling you'd beat me to it, Max.

I didn't see any of the game, just browsed the write-up on tsn.ca. I didn't realise both goals were 5-on-3, the write-up just said a late powerplay goal for Sturm. That's ludicrously irresponsible on Brashear's part, especially in a game of this magnitude: A win would have pulled them within two of 8th, for now. Instead, they're likely going to lose ground - Philly's 3-1 this year against the Isles.

I don't like four games in six nights in a different time zone for the Habs, and I certainly don't like the penultimate game against the Ducks. (Even if the middle two are weaker teams). Subsequently, I approve of Carbonneau's gameplan: Halak this afternoon, Price tomorrow.

Had a feeling you'd beat me to it, Max.

I didn't see any of the game, just browsed the write-up on tsn.ca. I didn't realise both goals were 5-on-3, the write-up just said a late powerplay goal for Sturm. That's ludicrously irresponsible on Brashear's part, especially in a game of this magnitude: A win would have pulled them within two of 8th, for now. Instead, they're likely going to lose ground - Philly's 3-1 this year against the Isles.

It was certainly interesting.

Brashear got a double minor for high-sticking Krejci. The high stick woke up Hnidy, who came after Brashear and got a solid left in the face for his troubles. This gave Brashear six minutes in penalties. Then, Erskin got jobbed on a hooking call which setup the first 5-on-3. Chara scored and Washington thought that Erskin would get out. But since Brashear got the double minor AND the minor for roughing, the refs determined that the roughing against Brashear expired with Chara's goal, so it was still 5-on-3. They killed the rest of the Erskin penalty, then Poti slashed Murray's stick to set up another 5-on-3 that Sturm scored the winner on.

It was a wild beginning to the game and a wild end.

Edit:

Now Chara is out against the Rags. He separated his shoulder in the second period but still came out and led the team to a big win.

Tomorrow's defensive lineup for YOUR Boston Bruins:

Wideman, Ference, Stuart, Hnidy, Allen and Lashoff...

This could be a loooong game.

Two things here.

Toronto definitly got robbed of two points against the Devils tonight, and WTF is unintentional goaltender interference?

To anybody who is a Pittsburgh fan, I was at the Caps game this afternoon, and every time Sergei Gonchar had the puck, Pens fans would start a "Whoop Whoop" chant. Anybody know what's up with that?

I actually listened to the shootout (11/12 on Pro Line....again), the play-by-play guys said it was actually a really good game, even with the lack of scoring.

Moreso, those points are big for both teams, especially with Washington losing again today; the Caps and Buffalo are probably the only two teams left with any chance of getting into the playoffs; even though Florida and Washington are both six back, the clock's against the Panthers, and to me, yesterday showed Washington's probably too immature for this time of the year.

Oh yeah, expect some pacing back and forth by me over the next few hours; 11 of 12 has won the Pro*Line Pool before, and it's usually about 10 grand. Buffalo had won 6 of 7 against Carolina, including 8-0 last time. No way any one in Ontario picked Carolina.....

So, outdoor game at Yankee Stadium. I kind of think that the last event at Yankee Stadium should be a Yankee game, but this could be really cool. I'm a little surprised that the Yankees are keen on the idea, though, and I'm a little worried it'll be against the Bruins, so we'll get bombarded with more Boston/New York rivalry bullshit.

Now Chara is out against the Rags. He separated his shoulder in the second period but still came out and led the team to a big win.

Tomorrow's defensive lineup for YOUR Boston Bruins:

Wideman, Ference, Stuart, Hnidy, Allen and Lashoff...

Even without Chara and Ward, I'm a lot more nervous about the forwards than I am the defense. I think that the two blowouts last week took the light off of how inept the team is offensively right now. They haven't scored more than 2 goals since February - 6 straight games with a maximum of 2 goals in actual play (e.g. not including shootout goals or the one "goal" awarded for a shootout win). This team could have 6 Charas on the blue-line, and if they averaged less than 2 goals a game, they'd struggle to win.

And in terms of the league having their next outdoor game in Yankee Stadium; that'd be two in the state of NY and zero in the rest of the US. If they insist on doing it in the US, give it to a city in the midwest ... and Chicago makes the most sense.

The Bruins aren't interesting enough for an outdoors game. The NHL wants to market it's stars, so it will probably be Washington or Pittsburgh.

The articles I've been reading say that the NHL wants a team from another big market against the Rangers. That rules out the Islanders and Devils, since it's the same market. I've heard Chicago as a potential team, but if they're going to get their own game soon after, that doesn't really make sense. Boston or Detroit seem to make the most sense, but I guess Washington would fit, too.

The Bruins aren't interesting enough for an outdoors game. The NHL wants to market it's stars, so it will probably be Washington or Pittsburgh.

I don't know if Ovechkin is "over" enough with the casual fan to push the Capitals into the next Winter Classic. I guess if he scores 60+ this year, and the league hypes it enough, he might be "mainstream famous" enough to get the Caps into that game. But even if the Bruins still lack a young superstar to hype, their history (and the NY/Boston rivalry) is certainly enough to draw interest from the casual/mainstream sports fan.

Yeah, that does make sense. Even if they only draw a fraction of Red Sox/Yankees fans, that's a huge win for the NHL. I can see why they'd go with Boston/NYR.

They really should try to showcase Ovechkin though...the guy is a million times more interesting than Crosby.

My dad and I have talked about that a lot; As much as we like Crosby, Ovechkin should be the guy on talk shows. He's so colourful in his interviews, Crosby comes off as store-bought most of the time.

Or comes off as a whiner (Crosby.)

Why don't they put a Montreal/Rangers game at Yankee Stadium. Original Six, plus there are plenty of Canadiens fans in the States.

I think that they'd be better served 'saving' the Habs for an outdoor game in Montreal rather than using them as the road team in a game.

A game in Montreal would draw more passionate fans than an outdoor game in Boston, and thus the B's are more 'expendable'.

I think that they'd be better served 'saving' the Habs for an outdoor game in Montreal rather than using them as the road team in a game.

They were the road team in the first outdoor game. I think they'd make a terrific opponent for anyone in any city. They'd be the exception to the league's unspoken policy of ignoring (in the U.S.) the fact that there are Canadian teams in the league.

Did anyone see what got Roy suspended? Thursday he was standing on the bench, yelling at Philly; Tortorella was yelling at him to sit down and shut up, finally physically forcing him to do so.

One week without pay.

Did anyone see what got Roy suspended? Thursday he was standing on the bench, yelling at Philly; Tortorella was yelling at him to sit down and shut up, finally physically forcing him to do so.

One week without pay.

One week without pay.

Oh yeah, I meant to vent over this: Pierre McGuire last week on Off The Record's "Next Question".

Landsberg: In one word, describe the recent play of the Senators.

McGuire: Not good.

Jarome Iginla has passed Theo Fleury to become the Flames all-time leading goal scorer. He also had an assist earlier on, it's currently 4-2 Flames.

Edit: It just became 6-2, in the span of a minute. Whatever Keenan said while practising this morning, it worked.

Ya, this game was pratically over when Tanguay scored 19 seconds into the game.

St. Louis really went to the shitters recently.

Big game tomorrow. Habs/Devils. Battle for first.