TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Angel_Grace_Blue

Investments

Anyone own stocks/bonds/any other security?

I don't have any investments right now, but I plan on grabbing some in the future.

Maybe everyone on TSM can pool our money together and buy a share or two of Berkshire Hathaway, which is trading for around $130,000 per share.

Canadian or American? I'm told by my various Indian friends I work with that Money Market T-Bills in US dollars are supposedly doing alright at the moment. I work in Credit so I haven't really branched out in terms of my portfolio but work has a good employee plan so I probably should soon.

I do investments and insurance for a living. Currently, I have an insurance policy that is tied to mutual funds. I use American Funds for my funds in that policy. The AF Growth fund has averaged 14.65% since its inception, which was Feb. 1984. That gves you a fairly broad range of ups and downs, which shows it is a pretty good balanced fund.

I also am investing in a Roth 401(k) at the moment. In 2006, my first year at MetLife, my Roth did 15.0%. Last year, I pulled 20.2%. As of Thursday, this year has been an abortion (-7.36%). That doesn't bother me though, because I am keeping the same percentage of my paychecks going into the Roth each week. When you do that, you are basically getting mare shares for your money. That way, when the market goes back up, you make more money. I am viewing both of these as long term investments. If you don't know much about Roth (401(k) or IRA), you pay no taxes when you take the money out later. Pretty good system if it is right for you.

I recommend checking out American Funds if you are ever looking for a good mutual fund company. They have 529 plans (college planning), IRA's, and plain mutual fund investments. Their plan is to never use money for advertisements, etc. Instead, they get a higher rate of return because they are not using client money for advertising. They rely on word of mouth from investors, and so far it is working great for them.

Guest Vitamin X

I am thinking about starting up an IRA account at my credit union fairly soon, actually. Aside from that, I don't feel comfortable enough with the economy or really my knowledge of stocks and investments in general to start a portfolio.

What are you getting on your money market at the moment? Is there a minimum investment for the one you use?

I have an IRA that was set up when I worked for my parents, which as soon as I start my first real job post college I will resume contributing to.

If you don't need the money TOMORROW, ING Direct and various other banks have money markets near 5% with no minimums.

My 401K is being hammered of course. I think I'm down 9% for the year but I have 35 years or so till retirement and I'm set fairly aggressive.

I've considered going to my local credit union as well but since I'm moving here in a few months I have some cash that is for emergencies that I don't need right away with ING.

Guest Vitamin X
I've considered going to my local credit union as well but since I'm moving here in a few months I have some cash that is for emergencies that I don't need right away with ING.

Where you moving to, Rant?

Or wait, did you just move from Everett to Bellingham?

I went from Everett to Bellingham (my hometown) for a project to get some stuff started up here since I've been splitting time between both places. Now that it is done, I'm heading back towards the Marysville, Everett, Lynnwood, North Seattle area.

I'm just getting into investing, actually.

I'm told it's a bit risky using mutual funds in an RRSP, so I'm thinking of purchasing a few mutual funds separately, as a lark.

Chris, who's offering 4% savings accounts? That's really good.

Wow, you really are into Glenn Beck.

Roth IRA here.

I remember when I was listening to Coast to Coast AM back in 2000 and Art Bell was pimping out gold when it was $280 an ounce. 8 years later its..$975 and rising

So basically $100 an ounce per year increase, probably going to keep going up as long as the US Dollar continues to be rendered worthless by the government printing out money like crazy.

Lets say you buy an ounce of gold now for $975 and it goes up $100 over the course of the next year. Put that same $975 into a savings account that gets 5% interest and you'll only get back slightly less than $50. Gold doesn't even have to increase but 1/2 the rate it has over the last 8 years and you still make money.

/has no gold

I used to have a stock portfolio, but sold them off to put that money towards a down payment on our house. I currently have a mutual fund that my grandparents started for me when I was about 14. It's gone to about five times its original value in about 14 years time, so I guess that's doing OK.

Don't ask me why this works, but it does. The "Rule of 72" can calculate how quickly you double your money. Divide 72 by the percentage rate you are getting with your investments, and that number is how many years it will take to double your money. Simple and straightforward for lump sum investments, but obviously if you are making systematic contributions, it won't be exact due to the new money you are also putting in. That will give you a good idea for what you will have in the future. I shoot for an average of 12% on my investments so I can look at doubling my money every 6 years. When I get closer to retirement age, I will naturally get safer in my investments, but while I am young, 12% is my number.

I'm just getting into investing, actually.

I'm told it's a bit risky using mutual funds in an RRSP, so I'm thinking of purchasing a few mutual funds separately, as a lark.

Chris, who's offering 4% savings accounts? That's really good.

PC Financial, which is convenient for me because I already bank with them.

Mutual funds are fine to hold in an RRSP as long as you have a very long time frame, which you do.