TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jaxxson Mayhem

3/16 SNL

Can Jonah beat the curse of fat comic actors that's struck down John Belushi, Chris Farley, and John Candy?

On second thought, it hasn't struck down Dom DeLuise (and Thank God for that!).

Add Artie to that list.

It's inevitable.

Artie has Jake Roberts potential though. He's already survived more shit than Belushi and Farley did. He'll probably fall to the curse sooner or late but you never know.

That's very true.

He can smoke crack while injecting himself with heroin in his eyeballs and still live.

I kind of enjoyed that bizarre skit at the end with the spaceships/jars of beer/toddler country album.

What's with Kristen Wiig getting so much airtime? It seemed like she was in every skit.

I like her character that tries to one-up everyone else. I know someone that does the exact same schtick and even sounds like her...granted she doesn't exaggerate as bad, but you know what I mean.

SNL Review- Jonah Hill/Mariah Carey

Cold Opening

Cast- Bill Hader, Kristen Wiig

Thoughts- It was nice to get a break from the Hillary and Obama lovefest. I’m sure we’ll get a lot of stuff in April though. As great an impressionist as he is, I felt Bill’s Spitzer was really lacking. Granted, there isn’t much to work with but his New York accent was on and off. It was like watching Helen Hunt in As Good As It Gets. Some funny lines, but it’s not the way I would’ve poked fun at the Spitzer scandal. Kristen was awesome though.**1/2

Monologue

Cast- Jonah Hill, Amy Poehler, Kenan Thompson, Jason Sudeikis, Andy Samberg, Will Forte

Thoughts- Really, Jonah’s the host and the best they come up with him is a sing along? He’s Jonah, just let him go out there, tell some jokes and be done with it. This is the second week in a row that the host introduced themselves as well. (Don’t remember if Ellen Page did). And I was surprised that Jonah was able to fit through the host door. Yikes! There were some funny lines, and I liked Kenan’s face, but-

Amy Adams singing: Yes.

Jonah Hill singing: No *3/4

Macgruber

Cast- Hill, Forte, Wiig

Thoughts- Why? I hope Kristen is honoured to be the new Macgruber female foil. DUD

What’s Your Situation

Cast- Hill, Wiig, Poehler, Casey Wilson

Thoughts- How did the girls not get what the show was, given that it was called What’s Your Situation? Of course this could’ve been a tryout for the game show, but still. I enjoyed the reference to White Plains (second one this season counting Rogen dress). Thought this was pretty bad, but I loved him and Kristen in the isolation booth. **

I’m Six

Cast- Hill, Hader, Wiig, Poehler, Sudeikis, Armisen Wilson

Thoughts- Holy hell was Jonah annoying in this one. In Superbad when he did this it was funny, but here, I just wanted to violently punch him in the face. Only on SNL, could Fred play both a black guy and an Asian guy. Also, on the Suite Life of Zach and Cody, they do not have a butler. Given how Ellen Page messed up Hannah Montana and this, I should be a Disney Channel consultant at SNL or something. Jonah had a few funny lines, but the rest was cringe inducing. *

Macgruber

Cast- Hill, Forte, Wiig

Thoughts- I think this might have been the first time I actually laughed at Macgruber. That counts for something. *1/2

Suze Orman

Cast- Hill, Wiig

Thoughts- I don’t watch the Suze Orman show, so some of this was probably lose on me. Of course, given my TV habits, in order to for me to get a TV parody, SNL would have to mock NHL Centre Ice or something. Bill could play Jim Hughson. Kristen, who has been great recently, did everything she could to get me to really like this to really succeed but they spent a bit to much time talking about the jackets. The bit with Jonah was really funny, one of the few times I liked Jonah in the show. **1/2

SNL Digital Short

Cast- Hill, Jim Downey, Samberg, Hader,

Thoughts- Jim Downey!!!! It is always great to see Downey back on SNL. As president and only member of the Jim Downey fan club, it’s weird seeing him get all this media attention. You can tell that Downey is stunned by it too. Also, definitely pick up There Will Be Blood on DVD. Not because it’s an awesome movie, because it is, but Downey is in it which so far has been the highlight of my 2008.

It was also great to have Jorma back and writing, hopefully this a permanent thing. This was hilarious, as Andy played his part well, Downey was great and I loved the story of how they met, and Bill’s walk-on part at the end. Kudos to Downey for taking one for the team with Jonah, and I think it was neat of them to put him in a skit after all the media attention he’s gotten recently. ****

Mariah Carey

Thoughts- That’s cool that Mariah was able to step in on a few days notice and replace Janet. Probably for the better as well. I like Mariah but I do question anyone whose idea for a great music video is to have Jack McBrayer in it. I love Jack and all, but really- Mariah Carey videos is not where he belongs. Mariah’s never going to top Honey though. Anyway, this was decent. **1/2

Weekend Update

Cast- Tracy Morgan, Poehler, Seth Meyers,

Thoughts- It’s official. I love the Seth-Amy team. I mean, I always thought Seth was amazing, but Amy is definitely doing enough of her share to make me officially love the Meyers-Poehler team. Sadly, it doesn’t roll off the tongue like Fallon-Fey, but it’s awesome. Tons of great jokes this week, and Seth continues to just knock them out of the park each week. And they brought back Really which is really awesome. I think it might be my favourite thing about Update, and I like it even more than some of Tina’s rants. Yea, I said it. And the line about Larry Craig killed me. It’s always great to see Tracy back at the desk, his commentaries always seem to deliver. He looked like he had been hanging out a bit too much with Jonah before the show (I hope he wasn’t driving!), but was hilarious. I always felt that on 30 Rock, Tracy just shows up and says some funny stuff, not realising he’s actually on a real TV show. I also felt it was nice of SNL to give a rebuttal to Tina’s terrible Hillary endorsement.

“Bitch may be the new black, but black is the new president. Bitch!”, might be the line of the year.

Just a fantastic Update, and I hope they can continue the momentum for the rest of the season. ****1/2

Target

Cast- Hill, Forte, Wiig, Poehler, Samberg

Thoughts- Kristen, I want to love you and all, but enough with your awful recurring characters. Target lady is brutal. Jonah’s fruitless attempts at asking the girl out were funny, especially when he wrote the card like a letter to him and signed it with the girls name. The rest was Target Lady crap. *1/2

NBC Special Report

Cast- Forte, Darrell Hammond, Armisen, Poehler

Thoughts- I seriously think it’s a running gag for Lorne to keep Darrell at the show until 12:30 a.m. in an attempt to mess with his mind. Dude’s got Matlock reruns to watch, Season 3 is quite the barn-burner. ***1/4

With Mah Dick in Mah Hand

Cast- Hill, Forte, Wiig

Thoughts- Oh Jonah, there’s a reason you don’t imbibe in substances and then host SNL. I just realised after typing that that my argument is shot to hell given the great shows put on by Snoop Dogg and Cameron Diaz. And Tracy’s commentary tonight. Anyway, don’t know what this was supposed to be but I guess it fits the quota for a bizarre Will Forte skit. *

Mariah Carey

Thoughts- I liked this song more than the first one. It helped that I can’t associate this song with Jack McBrayer. And seeing T-Pain is never a bad thing. ***1/4

Tad’s Steaks

Cast- Hill, Wilson

Thoughts- It took them four episodes, but they finally managed to work in the fact that Casey Wilson has huge boobs. She had to feel intimidated with Jonah hosting, given someone gave her a run for the money in the cup-size department. This was excellent for a last skit, with both guys getting in some good lines, especially the stuff about the Vagina monologues. And come on, Casey mentioned her breasts, that’s gotta be worth something. ***1/2

The Bottom Line- Avg. skit was **.3 making this a thumbs in the middle show. The first half was awful, but Update seemed to light a spark in everyone, and it made for a better second half. Even though I love him in movies, I didn’t particularly care for Jonah as a host, he just came off really obnoxious in too many of the skits. Given that this was their fourth show in a row, you can’t fault them for effort. And the next episode is Walken, which should be a blast.

Thumbs in the Middle