TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Wrestlemania XXIV Discussion Thread

For the person that asked about the DVD release, the official release on DVD and Blu-Ray (WWE's first Blu-Ray release) will be May 20. Wal-Mart is apparently packaging it with a free copy of the McMahon DVD for a limited time based on some early pre-orders on the website. The DVD thread in this forum has a picture of the cover art, which looks pretty similar to the Wrestlemania 21 DVD cover.

- Theres only so much that can be said about Flair/HBK and Im not going to spew it again but it clearly will be the match people will remember WM24 for and it was a damn shame they didnt put it on after the lame women's crap at least.

The women's match is usually used as meaningless filler to let the crowd recover after or between big match(es), like when the Women's Triple Threat was sandwiched between Hogan/Rock and Jericho/HHH at X-8. An alternative was when the Gimmick Battle Royal was in between the TLC Match and Taker/HHH at X-7.

Ironically, Trish/Mickie from WM22 was a serious contender for MOTN.

That's true, which is why the pillow fight fiasco took the spot at WMXXII. I still don't get why they insist on having a playboy theme match every year. Can't they still promote it without having a shitty match involved? Just give it a backstage skit.

However, there was still the Playboy Pillow Fight between the two title matches.

EDIT: Whoops, beat me to it.

And they will always have some dumb ass Pillow Fight or Bra and Panties match because it looks good to advertise it to horny fanboys, I guess.

They'll keep doing it because every year they get on the cover of one of the most popular magazines in the country...and one that markets to the right demographic at that.

It's smart business.

...and it doesn't take up a large chunk of the show anyway...plus...not every match can be a high crowd energy match or they'll have nothing left for by the end.

They did the cross-promotion with Playboy via backstage antics at Mania XIX and it ended up with Coach in his underwear on stage with the Miller Catfight Girls. I'll take the advertised match.

They did the cross-promotion with Playboy via backstage antics at Mania XIX and it ended up with Coach in his underwear on stage with the Miller Catfight Girls. I'll take the advertised match.

Or they could just not do it at all. RVD/Kane vs. Storm/Venis had no place getting bumped off that show.

Waaaaaaay late to the party here. Just guna say I really enjoyed Wrestlemania, it had 4 or 5 really entertaining matches, with emotion, (Flair's last match) great wrestling, (Edge/Taker) and a great spotfest (MITB). So all in all a really good mix of stuff and I LOVED the outdoor venue it really added to the special feel of Wrestlemania.

Whilst on the subject of the special feel of Wrestlemania, the one thing the WWE has done brilliantly despite the big downturn in the company from the heights of 8 or 9 years ago, is still make Wrestlemania feel special. I would acually argue they have made it more of an "not to be missed" occasion than it was for example in 99 and 00 where to me it just felt like another PPV.