TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Diamonddust

Wrestlemania XXIV Discussion Thread

Good show overall. Sure, it wasn't perfect, but I'll take it.

I'm very dissapointed -- maybe I just need it to sink it and rewatch it

My complaints

WHAT THE fuck WAS THAT TRIPLE THREAD MATCH ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stunned that Orton won, but not dissapointed . Pissed at the length of the match ( way to short !!!! ) and the finish -- a kick to the head ?? COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where does this put these 3 guys ? Both trips and Cena chasing the title ?

Also very pissed about the placement of the match ( in the mid card ????!!!!)

should have been the main event or right b4 it

Taker dosent need the extra rub of being in the main event and they put the most obvious outcome at the end???

I had no idea who was gonna win the triple threat ( I was guessing HHH) so and exciting long matcch with a ton of near falls would have been perfect main event - even with a heel winning

MITB match stole the show as always - STUNNED but happy my boy CM Punk won. Guess you cant believe all those internet roumors about the agent hating him and keeping him down - wonder if the plant those on purpose

If Hardy was ready to wrestle.. why not a MVP vs Hardy match -- It was the fued of the year IMO .

Was guessing an MVP win in the MITB match because of what I mentioned above-- seemed pointless to have him and Y2J in there

How about a MVP - Y2J match ?? arrrgggg

Flair match dissapointed - wish it was longer and way to many missed spots and botches

Finley - JBL was was it was suppose to be

I was very impressed with the Big Show - Mayweather match

I was ready to shit on it and thought it was gonna be brutal -- suprised me

Overall it didnt have a wrestlemania "feel" to it

OH...... and Taker / edge was match of the night , but i was hoping the Flair- HBK match and the triple threat were going to be just as good or better

Dissapointing....

Re: Triple Threat finish.

The move that ended the match - as in, put Cena down so Orton could pin him - was a Pedigree, not a head kick. The punt just got HHH out of the way. But if it was a headkick, that would have been fine too since it's an established signature move of Orton's.

Is "Beetlejuice" a new word filter or did greek actually type that?

I hated this show tonight except for Flair vs Shawn, which was excellent. Probably the worst WrestleMania I've ever watched live (watched them all since X). The Cole and Coach were AWFUL in the main event. Seriously brutal. Coach in particular.

Flair vs HBK was worth the money for me though. Most satisfying match I've seen since WM XIX Rock vs Austin.

Worse then 13 and 15? I didn't think it was that great, but come on

Besides Flair/Shawn, this was all "Been there, done that". Taker wins the title? Seen it. Orton as champ? Seen it. Neither of the title matches were special at this show. 13 at least had Taker's first Mania main event and 15 had the big Rock/Austin match.

Well it seems like i'm going to get to post. I'm not known for long "thought out" posts on this board but i'll bullet post what I thought tonight. Also pardon the order of events as I have a bad short term memory.

- Opener kinda fell flat. Was hoping to see more from Finlay and JBL in a no holds barred match. Hornswaggle didn't even really do much.

- I really enjoyed MITB. Some may feel it wasn't the best one in history but had some cool spots. Particularily enjoyed the opening with everyone running to get ladders, MVP just staying put and eventually hammering everyone trying to get in. Also of note was the plane buzzing overhead the entire match. If you looked really closely you can see a plane a couple of times with a huge banner on it. Although it was not visible, im pretty sure that the TNA plane with the "EVERYONE WATCH TNA IMPACT" banner. Also shocked Punk won.

- Batista and Umaga was just there. Nothing really exciting but nothing really offensive either. Nothing else to say about that match.

- I didn't mind the Kane squash. Chavo will probably find something to do and Kane will move on to Mark Henry. Oh wait.

- HBK/Michaels was the match of the night for me and one of the greatest Wrestlemania has ever seen. The spot where Flair gets up crying and Michaels says "i'm sorry, I love you" is one of those things that has to appear in video packages for years. I almost teared up in front of my 2 buddies when Flair just got up and looked at the crowd and was getting a standing ovation. For all the bad that happens in pro wrestling, this made me really proud to be a fan. Also of note, I wonder how Michaels is feeling after that moonsault onto the table. I wouldn't be suprised if he got some sort of injury from that.

- I took a piss during Bunnymania and when I got back was told the lights went out. Pretty surreal moment. Nothing I can say here other than I'm glad Santino will get some sort of Mania paycheque.

- I never in 02939040934 years would have thought Orton would retain, although I thought something was up when I figured out this wouldn't be on last. I guess they will rematch next month at Backlash.

- Really enjoyed Mayweather/Show. This was nowhere close to Bigelow/LT but was very acceptable. Thought the finish was a little bit lame but what else would they have done? I don't think we've seen the last of Floyd.

- Taker/Edge was pretty good but nothing over the top spectacular. Just glad that one of my favourite wrestlers got to main event at Mania. I also noticed that Michael Cole was beyond awful. He must have said "EDGE/UNDERTAKER HAS COUNTERED" at least 20 times tonight at the top of his lungs. I felt Coach and Cole took a bit away from the match but was a good ender to Mania.

All in all I feel this Wrestlemania was slightly above average compared to others and could hold up for a little while.

-

I pretty much agree w/ Hawk except for the Main Event part. I didnt think it was a typical Taker match. Edge kicked out of the Chokeslam, Last Ride, and Tombstone! I knew the streak wasnt gonna end but as I got caught up in the match I honestly thought Edge would pull it out. Edge comes out looking great

WHAT THE fuck WAS THAT TRIPLE THREAD [sic] MATCH ?????????!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stunned that Orton won, but not dissapointed[sic] . Pissed at the length of the match ( way to [sic] short !!!! ) and the finish -- a kick to the head ?? COME ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was one of the final three matches on the biggest show of the year, it's not midcard.

You can spell out before.

Taker dosent[sic] need the extra rub of being in the main event and they put the most obvious outcome at the end???

You want to send the crowd home happy.

MITB match stole the show as always - STUNNED but happy my boy CM Punk won. Guess you cant believe all those internet roumors about the agent hating him and keeping him down - wonder if the plant those on purpose

Haha, I bet you foolish for talking to Punk about those politics!

Flair match dissapointed[sic] - wish it was longer and way to many missed spots and botches

It went 20 minutes, and Flair is 59.

Dissapointing....

I'm disappointed that you don't know that disappointed has one 's'.

Yeah, it was a great ending.

I also loved the ECW squash - I enjoy the rare squash, don't care much about the ECW title or Chavo, and had no interest in a competitive match between those two.

Too bad we didn't get Kane / Undertaker at the end of the show. I think a bunch of people are going to suggest that should have happened thinking they're first (mentioned a few times here already, another friend just told me that on facebook too).

Yeah, it was a great ending.

I also loved the ECW squash - I enjoy the rare squash, don't care much about the ECW title or Chavo, and had no interest in a competitive match between those two.

Too bad we didn't get Kane / Undertaker at the end of the show. I think a bunch of people are going to suggest that should have happened thinking they're first (mentioned a few times here already, another friend just told me that on facebook too).

Extra on the DVD like Taker's Rumble Win in 07. LOL

Well there's the crowd that legit thinks it would have been a good moment, and the crowd that thinks it would have been darkly funny to have two zombie characters doing the Benoit / Guerrero moment.

I'm very dissapointed -- maybe I just need it to sink it and rewatch it

Taker dosent need the extra rub of being in the main event and they put the most obvious outcome at the end???

I had no idea who was gonna win the triple threat ( I was guessing HHH) so and exciting long matcch with a ton of near falls would have been perfect main event - even with a heel winning

If Hardy was ready to wrestle.. why not a MVP vs Hardy match -- It was the fued of the year IMO .

Was guessing an MVP win in the MITB match because of what I mentioned above-- seemed pointless to have him and Y2J in there

How about a MVP - Y2J match ?? arrrgggg

Flair match dissapointed - wish it was longer and way to many missed spots and botches

Dissapointing....

The Triple Threat wasn't in the mid-card. The 8th match on a 10 match card isn't the mid-card. They put the UT/Edge match on last because they send the crowd home happy and they expected a good match, which is what happened. Matt wasn't ready to go until a couple weeks ago. It'd would have been impossible to get the match back to the level it was at before Matt had to take time off. This allows another aspect to their feud and a proper conclusion. Y2J and MVP were in the MITB because they were suited for the MITB since they didn't have space for them to have a singles match and it'd be useless anyways to do so. Blown spots? Shawn missed a couple shots but nothing was horribly blown. JBL-Finlay wasn't what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a bloodbath brawl. Instead, it was a hardcore plunder match right out of 1999. How did this show not have a WM feel? Big crowd, big production, hot matches and memorable moments.

Oh my.....how old is goldengreek?

35 ...why ?

Read your post again. That's why.

Wrestlemania 15 had Austin winning again- been there, done that.

They put Orton over like a million bucks tonight with the way he dominated the match and then scored the pin

I take back everything bad I said, this was one of the greatest Wrestlemanias ever.

Edit: Also, kudos to WWE for putting Edge / Undertaker as the main event since A.) They wanted to see fans leave the show happy given Orton's victory and B.) To make it up to the Undertaker for last year's bullshit of taking him and Batista out of the main event spot for no good reason

Let's do star ratings (since some opinions appear to be very diverse...and I know snowflakes piss some people off)

Finlay/JBL **

MITB ***1/2

Batista/Umaga *

ECW Title DUD

Flair/Michaels ***** drama, *** match, ****

BunnyMania Whatever...it wasn't really bad I just don't know how to rate it. *1/4 just to piss off Batista

Triple Threat ***1/2

Floyd/Show ***

Taker/Edge ****1/2

JBL-Finlay wasn't what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a bloodbath brawl. Instead, it was a hardcore plunder match right out of 1999. How did this show not have a WM feel? Big crowd, big production, hot matches and memorable moments.

I already dissected goldengreek's post, Choken.

Except for Finlay jobbing, I was totally satisfied with the match. Both guys beat the shit out of each other, and took some crazy bumps. That's all you ask for in a brawl. It's the opening match, you can't do five alarm gig jobs.

Just to make sure. The lights never came back fully right ?

The set appeared to have some of its lights back for Show / Mayweather and everything appeared fully operational by Edge / Taker.

JBL-Finlay wasn't what it was supposed to be. It was supposed to be a bloodbath brawl. Instead, it was a hardcore plunder match right out of 1999. How did this show not have a WM feel? Big crowd, big production, hot matches and memorable moments.

I already dissected goldengreek's post, Choken.

Except for Finlay jobbing, I was totally satisfied with the match. Both guys beat the shit out of each other, and took some crazy bumps. That's all you ask for in a brawl. It's the opening match, you can't do five alarm gig jobs.

JBL throwing the garbage can from the ring to the floor at Hornswoggle was hilarious.

Wrestlemania 15 had Austin winning again- been there, done that.

You're comparing 1999 Steve Austin beating the Rock for the title to Undertaker winning the title for Wrestlemania for the third time, twice in two years to close the show?

They weren't going to close with Orton holding the belt up. Not in a million years. If HHH was winning, then maybe the order and length of the matches would have differed.

I'm glad they went the way they did...because Orton (unlike HHH and Cena) has never walked out of Mania the champion, and Taker and Edge had the best match of the night...which is what I want in my main event.

It's also of note that by having Cena take the pin, his Mania streak is over and they won't be tempted to have him copy Takers. If HHH had won by pinning Orton, he would of at least had the Edge "never been pinned" streak (which is over too, obviously).