TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Matt Young

Madden, NFL Head Coach, and NCAA Football 2009

Oh my god. This Madden Moment thing where you have to return a punt for a touchdown is pretty much the worst thing ever. I either get tackled before I can even move or gain like maybe 10 yards. I also like how if the punter kicks it out of bounds, I fail. You think they would at least make sure he keeps it in bounds every time so I at least have a chance, but nope.

Edit: Hot crackers, I finally did it. Apparently the strategy to use is immediately run backwards down the sideline into your own endzone, run to other sideline, then up the field. Gee, why didn't I think of that before.

I'm not going to do it, but if you want the 360 version then buy it for the PS3 at Target on sale and then run over to WalMart and exchange it. ;)

Since they're having that play and win weekend, I played some random kid in Madden just now. No mic. He was the Jets against my Packers. I was pretty dominant on defense, but my offense, while really good, surprisingly, with the run, couldn't go all the way. But I took a 17-7 lead, and then he ended up cutting it to 17-14 when I made a dumb mistake and gave up a huge TD pass on 4th and 23.

I ran out the clock for the whole 4th quarter, making progress all the while. I wasn't going to give him a chance to win. It's smart football. I ended up kicking a field goal with 15 seconds left, and had received a message from the guy right before I kicked it. I also got one immediately after the game ended.

I had been prepared to send a "good game" message to the kid and give him good rep since I was so impressed that I had a good experience with a random player. But after finishing the game, I checked my messages:

maddenfagul6.png

*shakes head* Fucking people.

Guest Vitamin X

Haha, what do you expect. This is why Madden is so arcade-y now.

One of the things that's kind of pissed me off about this edition of Madden, and I have no idea when they took this out, was that you can no longer go through your defensive sets and sub in certain players for certain sets. You can only do that really quickly in game at the playcall screen, and it's only automatic subs. I don't want my starting linebackers and corners playing special teams AT ALL, for instance, yet there they are exposing themselves to injury for useless plays I just need a good fast body who can tackle well for.

I guess you could say you didn't need to kick the last field goal, since you could've run out the clock and he would've had just as good a shot either way at the 15 second mark, but yeah that's just stupid. I know so many people who are like that with Madden though, they think you need to go for it every fourth down, always go for 2, only kick onside kicks, shit like that. It's like, WTF this isn't Blitz, you know?

One of the things that's kind of pissed me off about this edition of Madden, and I have no idea when they took this out, was that you can no longer go through your defensive sets and sub in certain players for certain sets. You can only do that really quickly in game at the playcall screen, and it's only automatic subs. I don't want my starting linebackers and corners playing special teams AT ALL, for instance, yet there they are exposing themselves to injury for useless plays I just need a good fast body who can tackle well for.

I guess you could say you didn't need to kick the last field goal, since you could've run out the clock and he would've had just as good a shot either way at the 15 second mark, but yeah that's just stupid. I know so many people who are like that with Madden though, they think you need to go for it every fourth down, always go for 2, only kick onside kicks, shit like that. It's like, WTF this isn't Blitz, you know?

Thats funny to me because just today to a guy i called him very arcade-y and he played this game like it was Blitz.........

Madden community is as bad as Halo.

Nah, it was 4th down. Kick the 50 yard field goal and give him the ball on the 20 after a touchback, or kneel it down and give it to him close to midfield. Plus the field goal ensured that he couldn't tie with a field goal of his own.

This was really weird, wondering if its happened to anyone else. I was killing this guy and he thought I was going for the onside everytime even though I didnt try it once. Well I kick off with him lined up for a onside recover and it hit the pole of the goal post and think ,clearly that its a touchback.Well somehow he got the ball at MY 30 yard line. This happen to anyone else?

(Fake edit: I realized after the game that I didn't save any of the highlights to upload.)

Ok, so I had one of the most epic Madden games ever last night in my franchise. It was the AFC title game, Pats-Colts in Foxboro. Indy starts the fun in the 1st with a 75-yard touchdown pass to Reggie Wayne, so I counter on the very next drive with a 75-yard TD pass to Jabbar Gaffney. Fast forward to 3 minutes left in the 4th with Indy up 29-21. I pick my way down the field and get Moss on a comeback pattern for a 10 yard TD followed by the 2-point conversion to tie it up and send it to overtime.

Then......then something happened that never ever, ever happened to me in a Madden game.

Indy gets the ball and gets into my territory, but I stiffen and am able to stop them on 3rd down around the 38. Surprisingly, Indy brings the punt team out to try and pin me deep.

Hey wait, the punter is holding the ball......FAKE!!!

Hunter throws a fucking wounded duck that is caught at the 25 for a first down. Two plays later, Vinatieri puts one through for the win.

It took me a good 15 minutes to get over that. The computer NEVER calls a fucking punt fake. NEVER!

Ugh.

I wouldn't expect anything less from some of these kids on Madden.

It's all of xbox live though, not just madden.

I know.

It's even worse on games like Call of Duty, Gears of War and Halo from what I've heard.

Guest Vitamin X
(Fake edit: I realized after the game that I didn't save any of the highlights to upload.)

Ok, so I had one of the most epic Madden games ever last night in my franchise. It was the AFC title game, Pats-Colts in Foxboro. Indy starts the fun in the 1st with a 75-yard touchdown pass to Reggie Wayne, so I counter on the very next drive with a 75-yard TD pass to Jabbar Gaffney. Fast forward to 3 minutes left in the 4th with Indy up 29-21. I pick my way down the field and get Moss on a comeback pattern for a 10 yard TD followed by the 2-point conversion to tie it up and send it to overtime.

Then......then something happened that never ever, ever happened to me in a Madden game.

Indy gets the ball and gets into my territory, but I stiffen and am able to stop them on 3rd down around the 38. Surprisingly, Indy brings the punt team out to try and pin me deep.

Hey wait, the punter is holding the ball......FAKE!!!

Hunter throws a fucking wounded duck that is caught at the 25 for a first down. Two plays later, Vinatieri puts one through for the win.

It took me a good 15 minutes to get over that. The computer NEVER calls a fucking punt fake. NEVER!

Ugh.

Oh, SHIT. Tony Dungy's got balls. Yeah, if you played NCAA this year, you would know this is something that is happening a lot more now. If you've noticed, there's also a lot more special teams plays than before as well- it used to be just punt block, PR Left, PR Middle, and PR Right pretty much, but now they've got Punt Block Zone, Punt Block Man, even Punt Block Return as well, and a couple other ones, I think. Same with the FG ones.

I just wish they'd bring package-specific subs back, then I'd be 100% satisfied with this game, as of now I'd say I'm about 94% or so. It's all I play now pretty much.

I rented Madden again for the 360. I have it till Thursday, so if anyone wants to play, my gamertag is Scroby.

Oh and here's a field goal touchdown return from a game I played today.

Sidenote: I played the game on Rookie due to trying to unlock achievements. So odds are that's the reason why I got the FG return touchdown.

FG Touchdown Return

I is it just me, or does the computer absolutely love to hit stick? Every other play I'm getting laid out Sheldon Brown/Reggie Bush-style by like the Bengals or some shit.

When playing online has anyone encountered any sore losers who use the "Connection to Opponent Lost" glitch? It is basically a glitch in the game that allows them to quit without the game counting. Tonight is the second time it's happened to me. I was playing someone using the chargers and I stripped LT of the ball for on two consecutive series and the guy just up and quit, but did the glitch so the game wouldn't count.......

Oh and probably tomorrow I'll upload a highlight I saved of a kickoff return for a TD by Randal El, in which I totally abused the Juke stick. Watching the highlight you will realize why you should love it and hate it.

I got an odd PS3 glitch last night. In my Hawaii-Washington St game, I was leading by 3 TDS when the Cougars scored one. I didn't think nothing of it cause I knew I had the onside kick locked up. Anyway their kicked bounced one off the upright and no good, my player in the end zone caught it and the play ended right then.

Then came the glitch...

I had to KICK OFF the ball AND the game gave them 2 points. It registered the play as a SAFETY against me. I was pissed and confused. It didn't end up costing me the game cause my defense made one hell of a 4th and 1 stand but my god, that is a glitch I cannot believe happened.

Additionally, does anyone else have a stumbling players problem? It seems like my guys on defense and special teams can't make any kind of cuts without stumbling over their feet and screwing up my sure tackles.

That's a glitch in the NCAA game if you are ever back on a FG and it hits any part of the crossbar or upright don't catch it, it will happen every single time.

And returning is alot harder now I've noticed....if you put it on Heisman and mess with some sliders you can make the computer a worthy opponent if the team you are facing is as good or better rated than your team.

I wasn't even trying to catch it, damn thing just fell into his hands. At least now I know a better way to get an onside kick, just pop it off the bar and let them catch it. Of course I'm 4 for 4 on onsides so it's working nicely for now.

Only other glitch I've encountered is I cannot call time out under 10 seconds left in the game no matter how many time outs I have. It just refuses to let them be used. It's actually kinda crap and nearly cost me an upset win over Florida in the swamp.

That glitch and the stumbling players is pissing me off. I have to go wireless and fix that shit.

Has anyone else just randomly...lost the ability to pause during games in Madden? Both myself and one of my friends have had this happen to us. Hitting the start button just does NOTHING.

I've had this happen with timeouts before on NCAA Football.

I go to call a timeout in the closing seconds of a half/game and the time just runs out on me after having pressed the button twice.

Rather frustrating.

What does the PS2 version look like? For example, when play calling, does it still have the old way or did they finally update it the way the PS3/Xbox360 versions have it?