TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Dandy

Upcoming Scott Keith Q & A Session

Guest Smues

-When did you start losing interest in the WWE

-Do you give a crap at all about TNA?

-You sold a PDF of all your WWE rants a few months ago. When can we expect the NWA/WCW version to be available?

Hi Scott. I've read your book Tonight... In This Very Ring and I enjoyed it. I was wondering why you are very critical of the Undertaker throughout the book? Do you hate his gimmick, workrate or both? And do you really consider Calaway to be one of the worst "top guys" in the WWE?

What was the deal with all of the stuff that he used to say specifically that he read in the Observer that never actually appeared there? The main offenders being the claims that Mankind and Austin were booked to win the WWF title at Mind Games and Final Four, respectively, before Vince changed plans mid-match?

And yes, I know that I overlooked a giant factual error about the creation of the WWWF title in fact-checking one of his books but there's a difference between an oversight and blatant lies.

How is format going to work? He answers the questions, and we discuss his answers?

As far as I know, I'll send him all of the questions and he'll provide me with answers. I'll post them here and you discuss at will.

Here's one I can't believe no one's posted yet: Are 100% of the proceeds from this upcoming book on Benoit going to be donated to charity or to his other children or Nancy's family?

This is the best question so far.

Yes, all true crime writers are obligated to do this.

Seriously, that's not a legitimate question, and there's far more valid stuff to ask about even if you're just looking to be inflammatory.

There seems to be a split between pre-murder Chris Benoit fans. Some people think that his wrestling career should still be enjoyed despite how his life ended, while others think that the murders should wipe out anything Benoit did in the ring, and he should be remembered as nothing more than a murderer.

Being a (former)Benoit fan, what is your opinion on the matter, and why?

Here's one I can't believe no one's posted yet: Are 100% of the proceeds from this upcoming book on Benoit going to be donated to charity or to his other children or Nancy's family?

Seriously, that's not a legitimate question, and there's far more valid stuff to ask about even if you're just looking to be inflammatory.

The point is not that he's not writing a book about a horrible crime, but it's that the only thing that seems to make him qualified to do so is the fact that he liked Benoit. I liked Benoit too.

Yes, Scott doesn't write for websites or anything anymore, but he still writes the occasional book and has a blog where he discusses wrestling amongst other things.

As of 3/29, he still writes for InsidePulse.com

http://wrestling.insidepulse.com/author/scottkeith/

And man, Bob does not like Scott. I don't know why, I've always enjoyed his work.

EDIT: I know he used to own this board back in the Rants days, but what did he do to drop it? I don't remember.

I enjoy the fact that his rants are good reference points for PPVs, but I was bothered when I found out that his books and reviews were filled with a lot of errors and half-truths

While I'd say this is a fair gripe in general, people forget this is largely a "fan's account" of what went down. I never got the sense that he put the burden of history on his shoulders. The books to me were just the expanded versions of any given internet rant he might give. And it's easier to deal with those books given that perspective.

Steve Austin was supposed to win the World Title at Final Four before injuring his knee in the match. I remember he was ripped apart in one of his books for messing up history of the NWA Title, and he didn't seem to care. I think his FAQ also had the Luger leaking the finish rumour, that has since been debunked.

Ludvig was supposed to win this match, using it as a stepping stone to the World title a couple of weeks after, then losing it to Lex Luger at Wrestlemania X. (I believe this is also untrue)

There are others, I'm trying to remember them.

While I'd say this is a fair gripe in general, people forget this is largely a "fan's account" of what went down. I never got the sense that he put the burden of history on his shoulders. The books to me were just the expanded versions of any given internet rant he might give. And it's easier to deal with those books given that perspective.

Who are they supposed to appeal to though? If you're just a fan of the WWE, the second and third books are just pages and pages of how much the WWE sucks and how evil HHH is. If you're more smartened up, you pretty much know every thing he's saying.

Who are they supposed to appeal to though? If you're just a fan of the WWE, the second and third books are just pages and pages of how much the WWE sucks and how evil HHH is. If you're more smartened up, you pretty much know every thing he's saying.

People who likes to read what they already thought/knew all along? Don't ask me to explain his sales. I don't know who's buying his stuff. Certainly not non-wrestling fans or even casual wrestling fans.

I hope this question doesn't come off as insulting but I'm wondering why he decided to write about wrestling in the first place? It's a fairly odd thing to do for a living (assuming that he makes most of his living off his books).

So that whole Luger thing at the bar bragging about winning the title isn't true?

A gossip columnist did write something in the paper about Luger winning the title, but he was never going to win it

I can actually answer the origin of bonzo gonzo question. There's a match on a video he reviewed (Coliseum Video's special on the history of the tag team champions, I believe) where the commentator declares that it's "bonzo gonzo" when all four participants of a tag match begin to brawl in the ring. SK noted his intention to incorporate the phrase into further reviews.

I really hope the only reason I remember that is because of its ties to a Coliseum Video. SK reviewed a ton several years back and at the time, few others bothered to dabble into the CV archives, so I became pretty familiar with SK's collection of CV reviews.

I'm not trying to be inflammatory. But I do believe that if he's going to try to make money off of this then he should be willing to give at least half of it back.

Exactly.

Besides, he probably doesn't make that much off them anyway. I honestly can't see them selling THAT well, even though this is his 5th book or so. So he must be doing something right. I just wish they weren't in that silly paperback/coffee table form.

Here's a question regarding Benoit. What do you think of WWE 24/7's edits of Benoit's matches, yet not editing him out of a Horseman beatdown segment or interview? At this point isn't all this a bit petty?

Heh, funny you did that, I remember one time his rants hit counts nearly overloaded the webarchive's server and he was asked never to advertise that you could find his rants in various places off of webarchive.org

Questions:

Do you part of what soured you on pro wrestling through the years come from doing rants and articles as part of a job rather than a hobby? Meaning did you lose some of the passion because you HAD to do it rather than something that was fun to do on the side?

Along the lines of the IWC question, do you think people like you led to the rise of the "smart marks" in terms of revealing the "secrets" to the masses and therefore creating this generation of fans who don't go gaga when Hogan "hulks up" or thinking that Goldberg would crush Austin in a "real brawl" but rather appreciate the artistry of a pro-wrestling match and don't get caught up in the silly "fake" stuff like who would win in a legit fight or something. Or do you think that segment of fandom always existed and was bigger than plain marks, but the internet finally gave them an outlet to suddenly be the mainstream wrestling fan as opposed to the "marks?"

Speaking of marks, do you care that they still exist? I mean do you think being a smark means you are a better fan? Not saying there are those (who should know better I mean) who think kayfabe is real or that the matches AREN'T predetermined, but those fans who really couldn't care less about all the backstage politics, that really would rather cheer the babyface and boo the heel because "that is the show" and they just care about the entertainment aspect. I ask because it does seem to be a sore subject on various forms where those type of fans get ridiculed because they are acting like sheep or whatever.

Why say that Show/Mayweather accomplished nothing? It cost a lot of money, I'm sure, but it's made Big Show a popular babyface. Almost entirely on accident, of course, but that's because Vince didn't realize that Mayweather is about the biggest heel you can find in boxing. It was basically salvaged by Shane, since Vince honestly thought a rich smug guy would be popular with fans.

On that matter, do you think one of the family will eventually take the business from Vince or will he be running things until he collapses at his desk one day?

Why? Since when are writers not entitled to be compensated for their work?

This is just my opinion on the subject. If I had my way, anyone who makes money off of a tragedy (especially one that isn't even a year old yet), should have to give a portion of it back. If you don't agree with that, oh well, tough luck.

Guest frostdude1

Has your attitude against Triple H changed now that he's not as unbeatable as before and the fact that he hasn't won at Wrestlemania since 2003 ?