TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lt. Al Giardello

Street Kings...

I can't be the only one here interested in this movie... I understand Keanu Reeves isn't the most popular actor, but he's been in quite a bit of good movies over his career, that atleast I enjoyed. Plus Forest FUCKING Whitaker is in it, it has to be good... Plus I'm a fan of David Ayers work, he's a really good screenwriter IMO.

I'm psyched for it as well. It's not usually my kind of flick, but having Whitaker and Laurie in one film together.. it's gotta be good. :P

They should give the guy that makes the previews an Oscar. everything about a movie featuring Keanu, The Game, and Cedric the Entertainer says it will be one of the worse movies in the history of the world. Yet I might want to see it.

I've chatted with a few people who went to some early screenings and it's been really positive response. Which is good cause I've been wanting to see this for awhile now.

Yeah I thought it was pretty vicious stuff as well. Here are some thoughts:

I didn't totally understand the relationship between Reeves and Evans in the film. At first it seems like Evans is investigating Keanu's various misdeeds, but then he kinda just starts helping him find the killers and stuff. There was some sort of character development that occurred off screen here.

Speaking of which, why did Reeves even care about who killed his partner? It wasn't really a plot hole exactly, but it didn't quite jibe with what we had seen from Keanu's character.

The ending, while not BAD really, didn't ring entirely true. After all the dubious, even illegal stuff that Reeves had done in the film you would think his character would die. Or at least be caught by the honest cops and taken away at the end. But no, he just sorta gets a pat on the back (!) and it's like "Good job taking out these corrupt cops, buddy!"

Aside from some of that stuff though I enjoyed the movie. Had to be one of Reeves' best performances, and Whitaker and Laurie were good. Probably a *** out of **** movie.

Evans wanted to be a gun fighter and started helping Reeves before he found out that Reeves' partner was dirty (even though it wasn't true). He wanted to find the cop killers.

I'm guessing he wanted to find out who killed him because people assumed that he hired them to kill him. Also, he wanted to clear his conscious.

Apparently that was their plan all along. No one could get close enough to Wander to bring him down. Laurie thought everyone else except reeves was so dirty, that only reeves would be the only person to bring Wander down. Remember when Reeves was talking to his partners wife and she said he was the worst because he wouldn't open his eyes to see what was going on around him? Eventually, Reeves' eyes were opened for him when his own buddies came to kill him and he needed to put an end to all the cops around him that were dirty with Wander.

I dunno if I really buy that for Evans' character. There was really little to no detail as to his change of heart regarding helping Keanu or investigating him.

Here is something that intrigued me. Why did the two drug dealers, who were really undercover cops, actually open fire on guys they knew were also cops? It almost seemed like that plot twist was thrown in at the last minute, since they didn't think twice about blasting Evans, shooting Cedric, and going after Reeves. I guess maybe they were wacko loose cannons and Whitaker was right?

I guess the ending was done to wrap it up on somewhat of an upbeat note after the vicious, downbeat nature of the rest of the film. But after the stuff Reeves had done in the film I can't see that character walking off into the sunset.

Damnit I was going to post a rather lengthy reply to this explaining my view on Evan's character as well on my view on the movie but I am kinda still drunk and it wouldn't post when I first typed it all out. Anyway, I'm too frusterated to repost it so maybe i will tomorrow.

Long story short: I really enjoyed the movie for what it was. Everyone seemed to do pretty well in their roles and even Reeves did very well for his usual self. Nice movie, pretty good writing, and it was what it was marketed as, a nice police drama filled with action. If the previews look good to you, you should enjoy it. Good enough for me.

I'd give it 3 or 3.5 stars out of 4. Very, very entertaining, and certainly much better than many reviews have said it has been. I'd recommend it to anyone who is interested in this type of movie