TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The Poulan Weedeater Offseason Bowl

The Sports Network listed their top I-AA quarterbacks for the season... Along with Top Transfers http://www.sportsnetwork.com/merge/tsnform.../AGN4160453.htm

1: Armanti Edwards (App State) Jr.

2: Nathan Brown (Central Arkansas) Sr.

3: Dominic Randolph (Holy Cross) Sr.

4: Matt Nichols (Eastern Washington) Jr.

5: Jonathan Dally (Cal Poly) Sr.

6: Rodney Landers (James Madison) Sr.

7: Scott Riddle (Elon) Soph.

8: Rhett Bomar (Sam Houston State) Sr.

9: Jake Phillips (William & Mary) Sr.

10: Liam Coen (UMass) Sr.

Top Transfers

1: Ryan Perriloux (Jacksonville State) Jr.

2: Bobby Reid (Texas Southern) Sr.

3: Dennis Brown (Norfolk State) Jr.

4: Antonio Henton (Georgia Southern) Soph.

5: Rob Schoenhoft (Delaware) Jr.

Bored, I know it's still pretty early, but I was just wondering if you will be doing to College Pick 'Em again this year, and if so, when the signups and such will be. Thanks.

Bored, I know it's still pretty early, but I was just wondering if you will be doing to College Pick 'Em again this year, and if so, when the signups and such will be. Thanks.

Aww you don't read my blog. Don't worry, I don't either.

I'll probably have it up this weekend.

It's never too early for Heisman Hype...

QB Tim Tebow (Florida)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qn30J3KePDg

QB Matt Grothe (South Florida)

QB Pat White (West Virginia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaLkqrPcOcw

QB Colt McCoy (Texas)

QB Chase Daniel (Missouri)

RB Noel Devine (West Virginia)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7XKj68ja4Q

RB Ian Johnson (Boise State)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D0aoqRIOwA

WR Michael Crabtree (Texas Tech)

Rivals.com Preseason Top 25 Countdown cont.

18. Illinois

17. Virginia Tech

16. Arizona State

15. Texas

14. Texas Tech

13. Wisconsin

12. BYU

11. Kansas

BYU doesn't have the incredibly weak schedule Hawaii had last season but it's not very a difficult one either. A BCS bid could come down to their rivalry game to close the season against what should be a very good Utah team.

Texas at 15? Have the Longhorns really lost that much? Oh well. And Texas Tech at 14? I've read them as the darlings to win the south everywhere else.

Haven't you heard Dama? Texas is going to absolutely bomb this year. They will barely manage a .500 season and Austin will implode and call for a mass exodus of all parties involved for such a dismal season.

:rolleyes:

"Lost that much"? They ended last year at #10 in the human polls, and were #19 in the BCS before the bowls. Not much of a difference between that and 15. Also, I hate preseason polls.

So is any other conference's media days going on besides the Big XII? Nothing really interesting is coming out of the Big XII media days so far. Except maybe Mizzou talking trash on OU again, these guys just don't learn their lesson.

So apparently Tim Tebow declined to be a nominee for Playboy's All-American team due to his "deep religious convictions". Good for him (I guess), but I'm sure this will just add to the disdain that many college football fans already have towards him.

So is any other conference's media days going on besides the Big XII? Nothing really interesting is coming out of the Big XII media days so far. Except maybe Mizzou talking trash on OU again, these guys just don't learn their lesson.

The ACC's were this week. Best they've got is that teams are supposed to publish injury reports now. Nothing interesting ever really comes out of media days.

SEC's is going on right now. Only thing I've heard is Meyer is still pissed about the Georgia celebration last year and Richt apologized to him several times for it. Should make this year's game even more exciting.

Haha, fuckers.

I'm sure this will elicit a lot of "What the fuck, bro?" reactions here in Athens. Due to what happened in last year's game and all of the shit I've had to deal with being a Gators fan here, Florida smacking the fuck out of the Dawgs in Jacksonville this year would probably be the all-time high point of my sports fandom.

Trenchant analysis there.

Clemson's good on paper and should be able to at least win their division, given the largely average state of the ACC. However, I think the fact that they're breaking in almost an entire new offensive line is going largely unnoticed in all the preseason hype. Wouldn't be surprised at all to see them drop a few early, particularly that opener against Alabama. Also, Clemson gets huge mega-lame points for playing a pair of FCS teams.

I'll go with the media sleeper darling North Carolina to win the conference this year simply because I'm easily persuaded by teams dubbed "sleeper teams" in the preseason and due to the overall wackiness of the ACC the last couple of years. They do get the Hokies at home and don't play Clemson in the regular season.

Texas Tech is playing Eastern Washington (9-4) AND UMass (10-3) within the first 4 weeks while playing the traditional Big 12.

Clemson's two opponents both went 7-4 but SC State scored a combined 6 points in their 2 FBS games last year and Citadel is... the Citadel. Color me not impressed.

As for Bored's mention of North Carolina... they have IMO a really interesting game against McNeese State (11-1). They beat James Madison last year 37-14 but the year before they did have that shootout win over Furman 45-42. It wouldn't surprise me if North Carolina gets a really tough game there.

Texas Tech has become quite the media darling to win the Big XII south, well they were in the magazines. When the Big XII preseason polls came out it was all OU and Mizzou.

I haven't really spoken about my team in here. Honestly I don't know what to think. They should still be very good, but it's been proven time and time again they lose their balls in bowl games. It's kind of hard to get excited again if they have a great season because I'll just be waiting for the bottom to drop out. Plus they have question marks at WR, LB and DB. Funny they lost their best player at each position to the NFL draft......

There's a pretty gap between media darling and winning the conference. I'm sure Texas Tech will be pretty good this year, but I don't expect more than 9-3 or 8-4 out of them. The hype is that this year they may have a defense to match their top-notch offense, but I'm not really convinced. Even after firing their defensive coordinator in the 4th week of the season and hiring a new guy, they still gave up 41, 31, and 59 in conference losses. They beat Oklahoma at home with Sam Bradford out. I think they need to go at least 6-2 with a win over OU to get to the title game, and I don't see that happening. Smells like Cotton Bowl to me.

And the end of the Rivals.com Preseason countdown.

5. Missouri

4. Oklahoma

3. Ohio State

2. Georgia

1. USC (preview up tomorrow)

Myself personally I think it will be Ohio State vs. Oklahoma in the MNC in a battle of schools who shit the bed the last two years in major bowl games. Georgia might be the best team in the country but Jesus tap-dancing Christ that schedule is brutal.

And hey we're now less than a month away from the first game of the season!

Myself personally I think it will be Ohio State vs. Oklahoma in the MNC in a battle of schools who shit the bed the last two years in major bowl games.

Alright, 10 overtimes where neither team scores!

I can't really speak for Ohio State, but watching OU's performances it's like they don't want to even win the bowl game with the way they got completely beaten up last year and the way they let the tricks beat them against BSU.

It would be like if the Red Sox (before they won it all in 04) met the Cubs a few years back in the World Series. Karma doesn't want these teams to win, so the game will stretch forever as neither gets close to winning.

For the record I think the NC game will be Ohio State and Georgia. I know the schedule is brutal, but they could probably get there with one loss.

We know we're close to the season now, the Coaches Poll is out and Georgia officially has the bullseye on their back. Also assuming he's still a voter, Steve Spurrier ends his long tradition of voting Duke #25 on his preseason ballot.

1. Georgia (22) 0-0 1438 3

2. USC (14) 0-0 1430 2

3. Ohio State (14) 0-0 1392 4

4. Oklahoma (3) 0-0 1329 8

5. Florida (5) 0-0 1293 16

6. LSU (3) 0-0 1163 1

7. Missouri 0-0 1143 5

8. West Virginia 0-0 1008 6

9. Clemson 0-0 999 22

10. Texas 0-0 979 10

11. Auburn 0-0 888 14

12. Wisconsin 0-0 747 21

13. Kansas 0-0 714 7

14. Texas Tech 0-0 644 23

15. Virginia Tech 0-0 568 9

16. Arizona State 0-0 560 13

17. Brigham Young 0-0 547 14

18. Tennessee 0-0 506 12

19. Illinois 0-0 422 18

20. Oregon 0-0 399 24

21. South Florida 0-0 350 NR

22. Penn State 0-0 313 25

23. Wake Forest 0-0 203 NR

24. Michigan 0-0 112 19

25. Fresno State 0-0 91 NR

Others Receiving Votes

Alabama 83, South Carolina 64, Utah 60, Rutgers 53, Florida State 53, Boston College 47, California 41, Pittsburgh 34, Boise State 25, Oregon State 23, Nebraska 17, Cincinnati 13, Virginia 12, Connecticut 9, Michigan State 9, Mississippi State 6, Kentucky 5, Notre Dame 5, TCU 5, Maryland 4, Texas A&M 3, UCLA 3, North Carolina 3, Louisville 2, Georgia Tech 2, UCF 2, Tulsa 1, Oklahoma State 1, Arizona 1, Colorado 1.

OK, I'm nowhere near qualified to do a Top 25, but after periodically checking in on CFN throughout the summer and now spending several hours poring over Phil Steele's 2008 College Football Preview, I think I can handle a Top Ten:

1. Ohio State- 19 returning starters is just insane, especially when it includes the best defensive player in the country in Laurinaitis and probably the best running back in Beanie Wells. Remember, even last year, OSU had far and away the best statistical defense in the nation, and now they should be even better on that side of the ball. This year, considering the experience they have, the offense may even keep pace with the defense.

2. Florida- The Gators should just be unstoppable on the offensive side of the ball this year as not only do they bring back superstars Tebow and Harvin, they should actually be improved on the offensive line this year regaining Phil Trautwein who was their best blocker in 2006 before missing all of 2007 due to injury. Considering they finished a narrow 2nd in the SEC behind LSU in net yardage last year, I think they have to be the favorite to win their conference this season if not the favorite for the national title.

3. Oklahoma- Arguably the best team in America last year when Bradford was healthy, the Sooners look to take a leap forward in 2008. While it may be hard to improve on last year's numbers, Bradford has to improve after having a year to get used to the offense, and at RB DeMarco Murray should have a huge year as the unquestioned starter after averaging more ypc and scoring more TDs than Allen Patrick last year. There are some question marks in the secondary, but the Sooners still have to be considered a frontrunner to win the national title.

4. Georgia- The Bulldogs also return a ton of players including both their superstars in Stafford and Moreno. Also, even with an 11-2 finish, they improved greatly toward the end of the year which is a positive trend going into 2008. However, they did benefit from some lucky breaks last year, catching Florida when Tebow was injured and also benefiting from a +9 turnover margin. While the defense should be one of the best (if not the best) in the SEC, the receiving corps, the O-line, and yes even QB Stafford can't quite measure up to the Gators. If they catch some breaks like last year though, the Dawgs could still definitely reach the title game.

5. USC- The Trojans' defense which held opponents to just 13 PPG over the last 8 games of the season last year brings back 7 starters and is once again the class of the Pac-Ten. The offense is very young however, especially on the offensive line. They should once again be one of the top teams in the country by the end of the season, but I can't see them being ready for Ohio State on September 13th.

6. Texas Tech- Not only does Texas Tech return 10 starters from the #2 offense in the nation last year, they also get to watch Michael Crabtree make the leap from being an inexperienced freshmen to being the defending Biletnikoff winner. Obviously, the defense isn't quite as good, but they're not as bad as their perceived to be, either. Last year, they finished #46 in total defense despite the fact that their quick-strike offense keeps them on the field for many more plays than an average D. With 8 starters returning this year, their D should be as good as any in the Big XII other than Missouri and Oklahoma.

7. Missouri- The Tigers are returning the key pieces from last year's 12-win team including QB Chase Daniel and leading receiver Jeremy Maclin. While they may not be quite as balanced as last year after losing Tony Temple and some key players up-front, their offense will still be impossible to shut down completely. However, they did get a little lucky on turnovers last year finishing +12 which probably made them look just a little better than their real talent level. They do have a favorable schedule which could lead to another 12-win season, but I can't see them getting over the hump against Oklahoma if they meet for the Big XII title.

8. Auburn- Somewhat of the forgotten SEC contender in 2007, Auburn beat Florida and Arkansas last year and was one play against doing the same thing vs. LSU. Now they're bringing back 16 starters and are looking to compete for the SEC title. Also, they're installing a new spread offense to replace the conventional one that finished 10th out of 12 in the SEC last year. If they can play defense as well as last year, and just get the offense to a slightly above average level, a BCS bid is a strong possibility.

9. Penn State- It's easy to sleep on the Nittany Lions with their 4-4 Big Ten record last season but the losses they suffered were all one-possession games outside of the 20-point loss to the Buckeyes and Penn State could have easily gone to the Rose Bowl last year had a couple plays broken differently. This year, they return every starter on the offensive and defensive lines and 18 starters total which should allow them to play ball-control football and let their outstanding defense win games. The only real question mark is QB where how well Daryll Clark takes over for Morelli could determine the outcome of their season.

10. West Virginia- Pat White and Noel Devine will challenge Florida for the most talented backfield in the country and with their entire offensive line back, West Virginia's rushing game should be even better than last year. While Rich Rodriguez was unquestionably the brains behind the spread attack, the offense has enough experience that they should be able to run it just fine without him. The defense however is another matter. They're replacing pretty much their entire starting secondary and are losing key D-linemen as well. The defense is too weak for them to have a real shot at a national title, but they're still the favorites in the Big East.

3. Oklahoma- Arguably the best team in America last year when Bradford was healthy, the Sooners look to take a leap forward in 2008. While it may be hard to improve on last year's numbers, Bradford has to improve after having a year to get used to the offense, and at RB DeMarco Murray should have a huge year as the unquestioned starter after averaging more ypc and scoring more TDs than Allen Patrick last year. There are some question marks in the secondary, but the Sooners still have to be considered a frontrunner to win the national title.

Murray will be the starter but he'll still have to split carries. Chris Brown is back and they have Mossis Madu who is arguably as good as Brown. And, I hear they may try to work some of the freshmen into the mix (which is stupid, redshirt calhoun).

But, Madu may be moved to corner as well so who knows.