TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The 2008 NFL Draft Thread.

Guest Vitamin X

Figured this would be about the time to make this thread. Anyways, here's the draft order:

Round 1:

1 Miami Dolphins - OT Jake Long, Michigan

2 St. Louis Rams - DE Chris Long, Virginia

3 Atlanta Falcons - QB Matt Ryan, Boston College

4 Oakland Raiders - RB Darren McFadden, Arkansas

5 Kansas City Chiefs - DT Glenn Dorsey, LSU

6 New York Jets - DE Vernon Gholston, Ohio State

7 New Orleans Saints (from New England Patriots (From 49ers)) - DT Sedrick Ellis, USC

8 Jacksonville Jaguars (from Baltimore Ravens) - DE Derrick Harvey, Florida

9 Cincinnati Bengals - LB Keith Rivers, USC

10 New England Patriots (from New Orleans Saints) - OLB Jerod Mayo, Tennessee

11 Buffalo Bills - CB Leodis McKelvin, Troy

12 Denver Broncos - OT Ryan Clady, Boise State

13 Carolina Panthers - RB Jonathan Stewart, Oregon

14 Chicago Bears - OT Chris Williams, Vanderbilt

15 Kansas City Chiefs (from Detroit Lions) - OG Branden Albert, Virginia

16 Arizona Cardinals - CB Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie, Tennessee State

17 Detroit Lions (from Minnesota Vikings through KC Chiefs) - OT Gosder Cherilus, Boston College

18 Baltimore Ravens (from Houston Texans) - QB Joe Flacco, Delaware

19 Carolina Panthers (from Philadelphia Eagles) - OT Jeff Otah, Pittsburgh

20 Tampa Bay Buccaneers - CB Aqib Talib, Kansas

21 Atlanta Falcons (from Washington Redskins) - OT Sam Baker, USC

22 Dallas Cowboys (From Browns) - RB Felix Jones, Arkansas

23 Pittsburgh Steelers - RB Rashard Mendenhall, Illinois

24 Tennessee Titans - RB Chris Johnson, ECU

25 Dallas Cowboys (from Seattle Seahawks) - CB Mike Jenkins, South Florida

26 Houston Texans (from Jacksonville Jaguars) - OT Duane Brown, Virginia Tech

27 San Diego Chargers - CB Antoine Cason, Arizona

28 Seattle Seahawks (from Dallas Cowboys) - DE Lawrence Jackson, USC

29 San Francisco 49ers (From Colts) - DE Kentwan Balmer, UNC

30 New York Jets (from Green Bay Packers) - TE Dustin Keller, Purdue

31 New York Giants - FS Kenny Phillips, Miami

I'll update this first post as the draft goes along. If anyone also wants me to update them on any notable players in the college game to see if/where they got drafted, let me know and I'll update that. Otherwise, I'm just going to keep a running tally on the first round, and maybe going to the second and third as well.

I'm not really looking forward to Houston's draft this year.

The "experts" have us taking a RB in the first round. I'd actually love to see one of the upper-tier OT's slip our way so we can bolster up the line but I don't see that happening at all.

Not having a 2nd round pick sucks so I actually might not follow the draft much this year.

You do need a running back to take the load off Matt Schaub though. But an OL wouldn't be the worst idea there either.

How many years has that been said for Houston? You'd think it'd eventually get fixed.

Guest Teal-y Dan

So because of the 49ers trade and the spying penalty, the Patriots will, instead of drafting 31st and 63rd, draft 7th and 62nd.

THAT'LL LEARN 'EM.

You do need a running back to take the load off Matt Schaub though. But an OL wouldn't be the worst idea there either.

How many years has that been said for Houston? You'd think it'd eventually get fixed.

Ever since we signed Tony Boselli thinking he'd anchor our line instead of being the anchor of our PUP list?

With how many WR's the Eagles had over to work out, sounds like we're taking an WR in the 1st round.

A lot of mockdrafts have us taking Devin Thomas...

I just hope the Eagles get ANYTHING helpful. ANYTHING.

So what does everyone think of Dennis Dixon? I really liked the guy before he got injured and I hear he's just an absolute freak because he's farther along in his recovery than he should be. I think someone will get a steal in the later rounds.

I just hope the Eagles get ANYTHING helpful. ANYTHING.

So what does everyone think of Dennis Dixon? I really liked the guy before he got injured and I hear he's just an absolute freak because he's farther along in his recovery than he should be. I think someone will get a steal in the later rounds.

Key words - Later rounds.

This guy is going to be a project QB that will sit on someone's roster for at least 2-3 years before he sees major playing time, barring something like last year's Carolina Panthers or Atlanta Falcons where the entire QB corps gets the shit kicked out of them week-in week-out.

I thought Dixon wanted to be a baseball player? Wasn't he playing minor league ball in his senior year at Oregon? Even if he had interest in NFL, I can see the whole baseball thing turning teams off from drafting him.

Dixon played for the Atlanta Braves minor league team the summer between his junior and senior years. He hit something around .160. He's focused on becoming an NFL quarterback, from everything I hear (and I hear from an SI article.) I think he's going to be a steal. He's a great athlete, and he was the most valuable football player in all of college football last year. Oregon's collapse after his injury was meteoric.

He's committed to being a NFL quarterback? Oh boy... he was a gimmick at its finest at Oregon. I can't see this working on the NFL level.

You had a solid point, but then you had to ruin it by being retarded. It might not work on an NFL level, depending on your definition of "work." He's going to be picked between the third and fifth rounds, most likely. For someone drafted in that position, "working" could be a seven or eight year career as a back-up. The odds that a first round pick turns into an elite quarterback are slim, so if you're casting doubt on Dixon turning into an elite quarterback, I don't think anyone is going to disagree with you.

A gimmick, though? Fuck off with all that. Dixon is a legitimate quarterback. He completed 67.7% of his passes this year (higher than gimmick quarterbacks Vince Young, Ben Roethlisberger, Carson Palmer, the Manning brothers, etcetera, etcetera, ever achieved), he can throw down the field and he can run a little. He's 6'4", and though he's pretty skinny, he's still at least 215 pounds. The Chip Kelly spread offense is different, and it can account for some of his stats (the aforementioned completion percentage, 20 touchdowns and 4 picks in 9 games) but it's also a complex offense, and timing and precision are important. It's not like he's a Texas Tech quarterback.

You're right. I have a bad habit of thinking "Spread Option=Gimmick". Tim Tebow would fit in what I was thinking, but Dennis Dixon is a fine quarterback. We'll see how he does.

That could be accomplished without calling people retarded though. So I'd guess Dixon's boning you or something if you're all butthurt over this.

I was reading the SI article on Dixon and that's where I found out about his lightening fast recovery, but I'm trying to remember what the Vince Young comparison was. They were talking about their running styles. I think they said Dixon is better naturally but Young has better instincts and is more violent? I can't remember exactly.

Also I need someone to compare Malcom Kelly to. Basically I need it because my mom has been bugging me. She keeps saying watching him in college reminds her of Jerry Rice. I think it's because she would leave my dad for Jerry Rice and probably do the same for Malcom Kelly. They're like her favorite receivers. So she says Kelly reminds her of Rice.

However, I don't see that comparison AT ALL. Rice is like 50x better(obviously) and I think he's smaller than Kelly and has a way different style. She claims it because of the way they both catch anything you throw in their direction.

So does Kelly remind anyone of anyone? Maybe TO because they're both big and they both whine when things don't go their way.

I saw this thing comparing the receivers in the draft to a current NFL receiver and it was kind of cool. Just wish I remember where I saw it.

Speaking of Kelly, I saw a mock draft projecting him or Limas Sweed to Carolina because they needed a big guy to compliment Steve Smith. Didn't they get that in Dwayne Jarrett? Or has he not panned out so far?

Also speaking of Rice.......is there a current NFL receiver that reminds anyone of him?

Oh another USC dig. How convenient. :D Truth is Jarrett came out too early. He needed an extra year at USC to really toughen up. As for how he is doing in the NFL, yeah he's not off to a good start to his career. He was hurt IIRC and just underachieving. Carolina has ZERO receivers outside of Steve Smith though. So yeah even if Jarrett had panned out, they'd need more receivers anyways.

As for who is the current equivalent to Jerry Rice, I'd say Randy Moss when he is motivated or got Tom Brady throwing the ball to him. He plays tough and catches the short passes as well as the long bombs.

Oh another USC dig. How convenient. :D Truth is Jarrett came out too early. He needed an extra year at USC to really toughen up. As for how he is doing in the NFL, yeah he's not off to a good start to his career. He was hurt IIRC and just underachieving. Carolina has ZERO receivers outside of Steve Smith though. So yeah even if Jarrett had panned out, they'd need more receivers anyways.

As for who is the current equivalent to Jerry Rice, I'd say Randy Moss when he is motivated or got Tom Brady throwing the ball to him. He plays tough and catches the short passes as well as the long bombs.

Well Steve Smith(the USC to Giants one) seems to have been better and more pro-ready than Jarrett. And I seem to remember a lot of draft "gurus" and some scouts saying they though Smith was better and more ready.

I remember Smith being more of the guy that they went to at USC when they absolutely needed those tough yards. I guess he wasn't as flashy as Jarrett so he didn't get as much hype, but I do remember him being very good in college and he turned out good in the NFL.

Now if only my Lendale White being better than Reggie Bush prediction would pan out......

Now if only my Lendale White being better than Reggie Bush prediction would pan out......

That one will happen, IMHO...

Reggie is going to end up being converted to WR if he can't cut it between the tackles, which will leave Deuce and Pierre Thomas in the Saints' backfield.

That one will happen, IMHO...

Reggie is going to end up being converted to WR if he can't cut it between the tackles, which will leave Deuce and Pierre Thomas in the Saints' backfield.

What about Antonio Pittman? And yeah Lendale White will have the better traditional RB career than Reggie Bush. I don't think that was ever doubted.

Antonio Pittman is on the Rams.

Yep...

The last cuts for the Saints came down to which RB would be the last guy kept, as they already had Deuce, Reggie, and Aaron Stecker as their top RBs.

Pierre Thomas produced in the pre-season and Pittman sucked at both running and blocking, so they cut Pittman and kept Thomas.

Smart move, IMHO, as Thomas showed a lot at the end of the year when they were without Deuce and Bush.

You're right. I have a bad habit of thinking "Spread Option=Gimmick". Tim Tebow would fit in what I was thinking, but Dennis Dixon is a fine quarterback. We'll see how he does.

That could be accomplished without calling people retarded though. So I'd guess Dixon's boning you or something if you're all butthurt over this.

I'm butthurt BECAUSE Dixons boning me. Sorry I called you retarded, that was me being retarded.

Jake Long signing with the Dolphins was mentioned in the other NFL thread but that news is probably more relevant here.

I think the Rams should take Chris Long to play on the outside of the D-line, since Adam Carriker is more of an inside player at this point, but it sounds like they may take Glenn Dorsey. They need a pass rusher badly.

At least golf has nice shots sometimes.

I've never understood the appeal of the NFL Draft, it's so long and boring. It's like watching paint dry

Watching golf easy. The people "calling" the "action" are boring as fuck and whisper, and the crowd can't cheer till the guy hits the golf ball. It's not even a sport.

I don't mind watching the NFL draft, even though I only pat attention to when the picks are about to be announced... Usually during the in-between time, I'm doing stuff around the house.