TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Vitamin X

The 2008 NFL Draft Thread.

I'd watch the draft over golf. It's nice (or not so much) to see what your team has in mind for their long term future. Golf is alright but there's no real emotion there as far as I can tell. Look at all those Jets draft videos and you'll see a lot of emotion running there.

I watch both (although I may not watch the draft this time), but the draft is far more enjoyable when your team has a high selection. Otherwise, I tune in about 4-5 hours (maybe longer!) after the draft coverage starts, seeing as that's when my team should be at the podium, making their first selection.

The length of the draft is absolutely ridiculous. I can't fathom watching the entire thing, I'd rather shoot myself.

Guest blame that goot.

The draft has paint-drying tendencies for me, but at least there's a nugget of excitement here and there. Golf just sucks. That said, holy fuck thank you NFL for tightening things up by a couple of hours. How you can plan this out for months and still go down to the wire with your 15-minute time limit, I'll never know.

I wonder who the Bears shall draft. My guess is that Angelo trades down and stocks up on defense. He never does that.

Honestly I think the first round and second round is when it feels the most boring besides that time period your team has the current pick. The later rounds go by like a breeze, and it's more fun.

Czech, watch the Bears take a defensive lineman. Just cause.

Guest blame that goot.

Actually, I like the NBA Draft, despite my apathy for the college game and low basketball IQ. I just wish the draft lottery was...well I was going to say fixed, but that's a poor choice of words, let's go with "ameliorated," so that every team had an equal chance at the #1 pick. Just pull out the ping-pong balls and that's your draft order. There aren't varying degrees of being ineligible for the postseason, and the original purpose of the draft was to prevent tanking, so how does the weighted system address anything? It's more fun to know that the Golden State Warriors could make it out of draft purgatory and still nab the #1 pick. Sure, they COULD do that know with their half-percent chance or whatever, but why not a 1 in 14 chance? That's the only fair way to go.

Actually, I like the NBA Draft, despite my apathy for the college game and low basketball IQ. I just wish the draft lottery was...well I was going to say fixed, but that's a poor choice of words, let's go with "ameliorated," so that every team had an equal chance at the #1 pick. Just pull out the ping-pong balls and that's your draft order. There aren't varying degrees of being ineligible for the postseason, and the original purpose of the draft was to prevent tanking, so how does the weighted system address anything? It's more fun to know that the Golden State Warriors could make it out of draft purgatory and still nab the #1 pick. Sure, they COULD do that know with their half-percent chance or whatever, but why not a 1 in 14 chance? That's the only fair way to go.

Too many people bitched when the Magic won the lottery one year to get Shaq and then won it the next year with only 1 chance in 14 after missing out on the East playoffs on the last day of the season.

That is, AFAIK, the first and only time a team won in consecutive years, which they don't want to happen again.

That's exactly what they did for the first five years. In fact, for the first two years, they drew for every lottery spot, not just for the first three. That's how the Knicks won the Ewing lottery and the Warriors, who had the worst record, finished 7th out of 7. They didn't change to a weighted system until 1990, then changed to the current system after the Magic won their second straight lottery in 1993, despite a 1 in 66 chance of doing so.

Guest blame that goot.
Too many people bitched when the Magic won the lottery one year to get Shaq and then won it the next year with only 1 chance in 14 after missing out on the East playoffs on the last day of the season.

That is, AFAIK, the first and only time a team won in consecutive years, which they don't want to happen again.

They were still weighted picks then, actually, so that just makes it all the more astounding. Or fixed. It's the NBA, so probably fixed. Anyway, speaking of fixed, they need to give the lottery a LOT of transparency and equality. 14 envelopes, draw them in plain sight, make sure the corners aren't dog-eared (man, this league), make it as fair as possible. I don't know how anybody can possibly disagree with me.

That said, holy fuck thank you NFL for tightening things up by a couple of hours. How you can plan this out for months and still go down to the wire with your 15-minute time limit, I'll never know.

I'm fairly certain that some teams would purposely dick around for the entire 15 minutes even if they knew right away who they were going to take, particularly the Raiders. Some also will just sit there by the phone hoping some team will offer them all of their first round picks for the next five years for the #23 pick overall.

Golf, fun to play, terrible to watch on TV or in person. I laughed recently when some ESPN experts were complaining how some unknown winning the Masters was bad for the sport, if they need one person to carry it that shows how awful things are.

Guest blame that goot.

Golf. I won't watch it, I won't play it, I won't laugh at stupid golf humor for stupid white guys.

A MAN CAME HOME LATE AND SAID SORRY HONEY I WAS WORKING LATE AND MY SECRETARY ASKED WHAT I WAS DOING AT THE OFFICE SO LATE AND ONE THING LED TO ANOTHER AND THEN I FUCKED HER ON HER DESK AND WE WENT TO HER PLACE AND FUCKED SOME MORE AND THEN I CAME HOME OH GOD OH GOD I'M SO SORRY THEN HIS WIFE SAYS DON'T YOU LIE TO ME LIKE THAT I KNOW YOU PLAYED ANOTHER 18 HOLES TODAY ISN'T THAT FUNNY HA HA HA

Golf. I won't watch it, I won't play it, I won't laugh at stupid golf humor for stupid white guys.

A MAN CAME HOME LATE AND SAID SORRY HONEY I WAS WORKING LATE AND MY SECRETARY ASKED WHAT I WAS DOING AT THE OFFICE SO LATE AND ONE THING LED TO ANOTHER AND THEN I FUCKED HER ON HER DESK AND WE WENT TO HER PLACE AND FUCKED SOME MORE AND THEN I CAME HOME OH GOD OH GOD I'M SO SORRY THEN HIS WIFE SAYS DON'T YOU LIE TO ME LIKE THAT I KNOW YOU PLAYED ANOTHER 18 HOLES TODAY ISN'T THAT FUNNY HA HA HA

AHAHAHAHAHA, TREVOR, YOU OLD BASTARD!

Because Atlanta will.

Or if not Atlanta, a team trades up to St Louis for the pick and takes him.

Ravens fans want Ryan but they should address CB issues first and I just saw stories on Leodis McKelvin saying the Ravens should take him at #8 and deal with the QB later instead of worrying about trading up ahead of Atlanta to get Ryan.

I think Ryan goes to Atlanta because St. Louis stands pat and goes with Dorsey at #2. The real interesting part of the draft comes at #5 when KC picks. Before the Jared Allen trade, didn't everybody have KC picking Branden Albert. Now they can take Chris Long, Vernon Gholston or Sedrick Ellis and hope that either Albert, Chris Williams or Jeff Otah will fall to them at the #17 pick now.

I love the NBA Draft. Watch it every year, start to finish, even though I don't watch much NBA anymore. It goes by very fast, lots of unintentional comedy, and the second round rules.

I'd rather watch golf then the NFL Draft. Okay, maybe not a random golf tournament, but a major golf tournament v. NFL Draft? Golf easily.

Yes, those are the times listed on NFL.com

Also, it's been confirmed that Chris Long will go to the Rams at #2.

Yes, those are the times listed on NFL.com

Also, it's been confirmed that Chris Long will go to the Rams at #2.

No nothing is confirmed until they ink a deal or Goodell announces it. Sometimes teams tell a reporter they'll take a guy just to fuck with other teams that might want to scramble to get the #2 pick.

Listening to the ESPN radio draft show, they've said that it seems all but certain from different sources that it's going to go:

1. Long, Jake

2. Long, Chris

3. Ryan

4. McFadden

5. Gholston or a trade

6. McKelvin if Gholston is gone

7. McKelvin if he's there - possibly trade up to 5 for Gholston

It seems Glenn Dorsey is getting splinters from falling down the ladder so fast.

Frankly I don't care what we do we have to get settled at the damn quarterback position. Everyone made fun of me last year for getting angry about not getting Quinn and look what happened!! Trading Suggs would suck but here's the thing he won't be here after next year. We're in a bad cap situation and I want this team to have a plan at quarterback. If you don't have that you can't advance!! That's why we signed Elvis Grbac and Steve McNair but they're stopgaps not solutions. WE NEED A SOLUTION!!

DRAFT RYAN NOWii!