TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

SNL Review

SNL Review- Shia LaBeouf/My Morning Jacket

Cold Opening

Cast- Amy Poehler

Thoughts- You almost have to feel sorry for Hillary. Her campaign has faltered so badly that even SNL has jumped off the bandwagon. Of course this means potentially four years of Fred’s Obama, which doesn’t do anyone any favours. Lots of good lines here, and I especially liked when she was talking about her supporters being racist and Bill being the first black president. It’s a shame SNL won’t be around to capture whatever political drama occurs over the summer. ***1/2

Monologue

Cast- Shia LaBeouf, Jason Sudeikis, Darrell Hammond, Amy Poehler, Will Forte

Thoughts- Fun fact: I’ve never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, so some of this was lost on me. It was cool seeing Darrell bust out the Connery again, even though I didn’t think his voice was that great this time around. The bit with Jason guessing the ending was awesome. ***

Macgruber

Cast- LaBeouf, Forte, Kristen Wiig

Thoughts- Oh no, not this again. I realise I’m probably the only person left on the planet who doesn’t like the Macgrubers, but once again, I did not find this one to be very funny. Plus, it usually means we’re getting three iffy skits on the show. Forte’s awesome, but he can do better. *

It’s a Match

Cast- LaBeouf, Poehler, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, Kenan Thompson, Wiig, Casey Wilson

Thoughts- Well by the looks of Shia’s magic in this episode, he would do poorly on Celebracadabera. I was hoping this would be really funny, but it just didn’t work out. It also seemed off that they just didn’t call it Match Game, I wonder if there was some sort of trademark or legal reason. Fred was really annoying as the Charles Nelson Reilly knockoff, and I felt the lines weren’t as strong as they should’ve been. Shia was really funny as the magician though. **1/4

Scared Straight

Cast- LaBeouf, Sudeikis, Andy Samberg, Hader, Thompson

Thoughts- I think the most impressive thing about this skit was the fact that Bill Hader remembered the plot of Gone in 60 Seconds. Kenan’s psycho threats were funny, as was the fact that he drew the wound on his face with a Sharpie. Kenan was good here, and it was nice seeing him get to lead a skit where he didn’t play a black woman. ***

Macgruber

Cast- LaBeouf, Wiig, Forte

Thoughts- I have to say, I actually liked this Macgruber. The digitised dildo falling out of his backpack was really funny and actually made this a worthwhile Macgruber. I guess the law of averages say that every once in a while, one of them has to work. ***

Suze Orman

Cast- LaBeouf, Wiig

Thoughts- They just did this bit recently, no need to bring it back again. That said, I give Kristen credit. I always feel like I’m going to hate this skit, but her impression and the writing is much better than expected. That doesn’t mean it’s worthy to keep doing this skit, but at least it doesn’t suck. **3/4

SNL Digital Shorts

Cast- LaBeouf, Samberg, Armisen, Forte, Hader, Sudeikis, Thompson

Thoughts- Wow, the digital shorts have officially hit a new low in this Jorma-less era. Now I liked the daiquiri girl short, even though I could understand why people would hate it, but this one was indefensible. Andy was back in his asking to be punched in the face mode, and almost nothing in that song was remotely funny. Hopefully they can redeem themselves with the season finale. *

My Morning Jacket

Thoughts- I had never really heard of My Morning Jacket before, but had seen them pop up on Alt Nation on my Sirius before. That’s about all I got, but I did like this song. ***

Weekend Update

Cast- Seth Meyers, Poehler, Hader, Armisen, Thompson

Thoughts- This was a better Update then in recent weeks, as I really enjoyed both Amy and Seth’s jokes. The Grand Theft Auto commentary was pretty bad, as I’ve never played Grand Theft Auto and if this was actually funny, it just went over my head. Kenan’s commentary was hilarious though. I think it falls into the so stupid that it’s funny category. And come on, how can you hate a commentary that references Asterik and Obelix. Seth’s Weather Channel jokes were great, and I loved the adlibbing. Like the Digital Short, I really hope they can hit a home run in the finale. ***1/2

La Revista con television con Vinny Veldici

Cast- Lorne Michaels, LaBeouf, Hader, Armisen, Forte, Samberg, Wiig, Sudeikis

Thoughts- I’ve grown to despise this skit. It’s not bad or anything, it just screams lazy writing and lack of ideas. I can picture the writers and Lorne sitting there on Monday with blank faces trying to think up ideas and then going: Eh, let’s just do the skit where the host goes on the Italian show.

I can understand doing the skit on a show with an athlete or non-actor host because it practically writes itself, but I think when you have real hosts you can come up with something a little more original. **1/4

Macgruber

Cast- LaBeouf, Forte, Wiig, Samberg

Thoughts- Yep, that one good Macgruber was a needle in the haystack apparently. ½*

Admirer

Cast- LaBeouf, Poehler, Wiig, Samberg, Hader, Armisen, Thompson, Forte, Wilson

Thoughts- While some of the facial expressions, particularly Andy’s were funny, I just kept waiting for this skit to go anywhere or to have a point and it never did. At least Kristen looked attractive. The Abercrombie and Fitch line was great. *1/2

My Morning Jacket

Thoughts- Another good song from these guys. Hopefully Usher can bring us home in the finale. ***

Trying on Clothes

Cast- LaBeouf, Poehler, Wiig, Wilson

Thoughts- What WAS this? I mean, look, Shia was in a dress. Guffaw, I guess. Amy sure was indecisive though. ¼*

The Bottom Line- Average line was **.23 making this a thumbs down show. Like last year, Shia was a pretty unremarkable host adding little to the show. The show was decent at the beginning, but then just hit the wall after Update and badly sputtered to the finish. Two crappy Macgrubers and an abysmal Digital Short didn’t help matters. I felt like they were just spinning their wheels into the finale, when they have a host who should be able to deliver a good show and a fitting finale.

Thumbs Down

It’s a Match

Cast- LaBeouf, Poehler, Fred Armisen, Bill Hader, Kenan Thompson, Wiig, Casey Wilson

Thoughts- Well by the looks of Shia’s magic in this episode, he would do poorly on Celebracadabera. I was hoping this would be really funny, but it just didn’t work out. It also seemed off that they just didn’t call it Match Game, I wonder if there was some sort of trademark or legal reason. Fred was really annoying as the Charles Nelson Reilly knockoff, and I felt the lines weren’t as strong as they should’ve been. Shia was really funny as the magician though. **1/4

I don't understand why they didn't call it Match Game (or use any of the old celebrity names) either, since all the music was lifted from the original show. I actually thought Fred was really funny ... even though he was doing Paul Lynde, the gay dude from Hollywood Squares and not CNR.

Eh, I like MacGruber.

It’s a Match

I don't understand why they didn't call it Match Game (or use any of the old celebrity names) either, since all the music was lifted from the original show. I actually thought Fred was really funny ... even though he was doing Paul Lynde, the gay dude from Hollywood Squares and not CNR.

I realised that reading another review- my Bewitched fandom should've caught that

I remember the first time it aired, I thought: Huh, an unfunny Macguyver spoof.

I'd never thought they'd keep bringing it back over and over again

I just noticed that Maya Rudolph is no longer on the show. Did she get fired, or did she quit?

I just noticed that Maya Rudolph is no longer on the show. Did she get fired, or did she quit?

Maya never wanted to come back this season, but Lorne persauded her to come back. Once the strike hit, I think she had enough and decided to leave for good. I think she was even working without a real contract this season.

I for one do not miss her. I cannot think of a laugh she has ever given me. And anytime she tried to do a voice other than her own it was usually just bad