TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
King Kamala

The knockoff thread

I wish they'd bring Surge back; that stuff was great!

QFT

(I remember that stuff was still at Arby's for a stretch, but it's gone now.)

Some of the comments in this thread are nuts.

RC a knockoff?

Mello Yello compared to Vault?

Mello Yello was a Mountain Dew competitor, they compared the two in their commercials all the time (Mello Yello was also pitched by Jim Varney as Ernest).

I also like Moon Mist, the Faygo version of Mountain Dew (I also remember it being the Faygo flavor mentioned most often by name by ICP).

Guest Desensitized

My favorite Mountain Dew knockoff was SURGE. Feel the rush! Ah, WCW.

What's with all this Mello Yello talk? I had that yesterday at work. And I see it in 20 oz. bottles all the time around here.

My favorite Mountain Dew knockoff was SURGE. Feel the rush! Ah, WCW.

I still have an unopened Surge can with Sting on it stashed somewhere in my closet.

Also, Cherry RC is one of the best cherry colas out there.

61hydrox.jpg

Fun fact: Hydrox actually came out four years before Oreos. Sadly, they are no longer around. The world no longer needed second rate Oreos.

Im looking forward to their return but wonder how the "trans fat free" version will stack taste.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

Surge was fucking putrid. I hate Mountain Dew and all Mountain Dew iterations, clones, and approximations.

RC a knockoff?

This one amused me because I thought RC was a rich man's cola as a kid for some reason.

Well, it does mean Royal Crown Cola.

Homer Simpson made this same implication regarding Alec Baldwin and Kim Bassinger.

Guest Desensitized
Surge was fucking putrid. I hate Mountain Dew and all Mountain Dew iterations, clones, and approximations.

Let's not say things we can't take back! I'm pretty jazzed about these new flavors in the other thread.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I used to love the shit, and equated my survival to its high caffeine content my first few years as a dedicated night worker. One day, I got a Dr. Pepper instead, then went on cola and haven't looked back. I got a Mountain Dew earlier this year and gagged a little.

I'm kind of in the same boat as Agent in the whole MD vs Coke story. From 16 to about 22/3, I was a big Mountain Dew drinker, then at some point I just started drinking cola more. Not sure what caused the change, but ever since I've been primarily a Coke/Pepsi drinker. I do still drink Dew from time-to-time, though, especially Live Wire. And Tahitian Treat, when I can find it.

Mellow Yellow and Pibb Xtra is everywhere here, too. No regular Pibb anymore, though, not even as a fountain drink.

Anyway, niether of those or RC are generic pop.

Bubba Cola, now there's a generic pop.

Baja Blast is the only really good MD out there, IMO.

That stuff is so damn sickening. The first time I got it I was all jazzed about a new Mountain Dew. I got some, took like three sips and poured the whole damn thing out and got something else.

Thus began my campaign of stop fucking with the Dew.

And it's Taco Bell only here as well. Just another reason to avoid that place like the plague. (Other Taco Bell's in other towns are okay, the one in Cedar is exceptionally shittastic even by small town fast food joint standards. The Burger King suffers the same fate.)

It's Taco Bell exclusive everywhere.

I will note that small town fast food can often be some of the best, because you will sometimes get people who take pride in it, unashamedly making a career of it. See the Hardee's in Jacksonville Ill for an example.

Why is Baja Blast a Taco Bell only thing? At least, it is here.

Taco Bell has the lowest amount of soda sales for any fast food chain. I'm guessing b/c everyone just buys cheap shit from the drive thru and just drink what they have at home. It's an attempt to boost soda sales.

Isn't there already a whole thread devoted to soda?

This thread is dedicated to all knockoffs, sodas and otherwise.

And Milky is totally right about small town fast food places. I'm sure most of you won't believe me but one of the Top 10 burgers I've ever had (borderline Top 5) was a Whopper from a Burger King in the booming metropolis of Farmington, ME. Of course, small town fast food places can also be putrid. Really, there's no in between.