TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

My first pick of two is one I'm surprised hasn't been taken; I remember when I selected my 4-way tag match, I didn't think it would be long before the ten-man from Raw went. In the same vein, I thought that this would be picked shortly after the selections of Austin-Benoit, and TLC II.

Jericho-Benoit vs. Edge-Christian vs. Hardys vs. Dudleys. Smackdown May 2001. Four-way ladder match for the tag titles. A definite spotfest, but a fantastic match.

I'm gonna make a FOURTH Bret-HBK pick. The Youtube video now has Jesse Ventura's amusing commentary edited out, but even solo Vince can't wreck this match: The Rockers vs. The Hart Foundation, SNME 90.

On behalf of King Cucaracha:

Blood Generation (CIMA, Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino) vs. Do Fixer (Ryo Saito, Dragon Kid and Genki Horiguchi)

ROH Supercard Of Honor, Dragon Gate Rules

dragongate5sm.jpg

Is there a better example of six guys coming into a promotion and completely winning over the fanbase? The match starts off well and just keeps getting better and better, to the point that by the end the entire crowd is standing. The pace the Dragon Gate guys can go without missing a step is mind-blowing. The end sequence is just amazing. A match that maybe made a promotion considering the amount of exposure the Dragon Gate guys have gotten since.

19_brock.jpg

Brock Lesnar vs. Kurt Angle/WWE Title/Wrestlemania XIX/March 30th, 2003

Nice match between these two in the main event of "The Granddaddy Of Them All". Brock defeats Angle for the championship after Brock gets concussed after a botched SSP attempt. He still finds a way to get Angle up for an F5 to finish. It would have been awesome to see Brock hit the SSP(I've seen video of him in OVW hitting it perfectly), but even with the miss, I thought this match was as good as advertised.

I'm gonna make a FOURTH Bret-HBK pick. The Youtube video now has Jesse Ventura's amusing commentary edited out, but even solo Vince can't wreck this match: The Rockers vs. The Hart Foundation, SNME 90.

The double DQ match or the phantom title win? Cause Gert may have made a mistake on the draft board...

On behalf of King Cucaracha:

Blood Generation (CIMA, Naruki Doi and Masato Yoshino) vs. Do Fixer (Ryo Saito, Dragon Kid and Genki Horiguchi)

ROH Supercard Of Honor, Dragon Gate Rules

dragongate5sm.jpg

Is there a better example of six guys coming into a promotion and completely winning over the fanbase? The match starts off well and just keeps getting better and better, to the point that by the end the entire crowd is standing. The pace the Dragon Gate guys can go without missing a step is mind-blowing. The end sequence is just amazing. A match that maybe made a promotion considering the amount of exposure the Dragon Gate guys have gotten since.

Tell King Cucaracha to fuck King Cucaracha...

This next match may not have been the greatest wrestling in the world, but it may have been the biggest match of the 90's in terms of hype and importance. Sting was the biggest face of the 90's and Hogan was the biggest heel of the 90's. When these two met up at Starcade, it was huge.

40.jpg

Sting vs. Hollywood Hulk Hogan. Starcade 1997. December 28, 1997

For me, I'd include the match that , in my eyes, solidified Orton as a top-tier guy. Unfortunately, events change the history remembers this match.

But for one night, at Summerslam 2004, Randy Orton was The Man.

Summerslam 2004

Randy Orton vs Chris Benoit

World Heavyweight Championship

abd_wwe_sslam.jpg

With my next pick, I choose:

fw.JPG

Ric Flair vs. Barry Windham - NWA World Title - aired January 20, 1987

The infamous "One Hour" time-limit draw that took up the entire episode of World Wide Wrestling.

It's also the one on the Ultimate Ric Flair Collection DVD.

It's Flair and Windham for 45 minutes (well, 31 minutes with commercials cut). Great HOT crowd. It rules.

Not to say it wasn't a good match, but all I can remember about the Angle/Lesnar ironman match was how much of a letdown it turned out to be. I remember rushing home so I could catch the start of the match, expecting a MOTYC, and it really wasn't IMO.

With my eighth round pick, I select:

post-2806-1213102412_thumb.jpg

Diesel v. Bret Hart/No Holds Barred/WWF World Title/Survivor Series '95/November 19, 1995

-No Pic Available-

Cruiserweight Battle Royale/Chris Jericho vs. Dean Malinko

Slamboree '98

5/17/1998

The highlight of the entire Cruiserweight division in WCW. Jericho going to town on them in the battle royale announcements, the better-than-average battle royale, the sheer "what the fuck?" moment of Cyclope winning, the fucking unmasking, it was pulled off fantastically all the way through.

51KWNN1VC3L._SL500_AA240_.jpg

Team WWF [undertaker, Kane, Big Show, Jericho, Rock] vs. Team Alliance [shane, Booker T, RVD, Kurt Angle, Austin] - Winner Take All - Survivor Series 2001

I'm taking this mainly for the pre-match video/excitement around the match. I don't have the time right now to think of a better choice, but I will for my next pick.

I had another match pegged for here, but this one has been available for far too long, and I was considering taking it as early as the fourth round. The match that made Sting for all time:

post-359-1213147169_thumb.jpg

NWA World title match: Ric Flair [c] vs. Sting, Clash of the Champions I, March 27, 1988

First match is a legendary tag match from 1994.

El Hijo del Santo & Octagon vs. Eddy Guerrero & Art Barr - Masks vs. Hair, Best of Three Falls, Elimination Format - AAA When Worlds Collide

Second is a bit of comedy match. In normal terms it's a stretch, but for this style it is heads above any other match I would want to see.

Hulk Hogan vs. The Genius - Saturday Night's Main Event

Pretty much the only good thing to come out of the Two-Man Power Trip:

WWF Tag Team Championship match: Steve Austin & Triple H [c] vs. Chris Jericho & Chris Benoit, RAW, May 21, 2001

Fuck, let's see..I have four matches left on my list that I'm fairly certain won't be taken for atleast 3 more rounds. I guess it's time for me to grab a ladder match, or should I say, a TLC match.

WM2000triladder.jpg

Edge & Christian vs. The Hardys vs. The Dudleys - TLC 1 - Summerslam 2000

-Google Image hates my list-

The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Masato Yakushiji vs. TAKA Michinoku, Terry Boy, and Dick Togo

ECW Barely Legal

4/13/97

Taking the spot that was going to go to the Supercard of Honor six-man, I guess I'll pick the predecessor to that match, the Michinoku Pro Barely Legal six-man match.

Well, I think this match could get back to me later, but I better not risk it:

post-2806-1213191913.jpg

Stunning Steve Austin v. Ricky Steamboat/WCW U.S. Title Match/Clash of the Champions 28/August 28, 1994

Not from the match but whatever:

echardyz.jpg

Edge & Christian vs. The New Brood - WWF No Mercy 1999 - October 17, 1999

With all the TLC's being taken, I may as well not save this one any longer.

I still think this one is better then the TLC's that followed it. An incredible spotfest that made four careers.

The first post-match standing ovation that I saw in wrestling.

WWF Tag Team Championship Match

Shawn Michaels & Diesel © vs. Razor Ramon & The 1-2-3 Kid

Action Zone

White Plains, NY

September 28, 1994

Not a lot of people remember this match, but I do. Leading up to the split between Michaels and Diesel (where the Heartbreak Kid would relinquish yet another championship without doing a job), this was easily the highlight of their tag team championship reign. Very hot match at a time when company morale was at its lowest.

It aired on 10/30/94.

WrestleMania 6

Hulk Hogan vs The Ultimate Warrior

wm6.jpg

The first time i'd seen someone beat Hogan convincingly, even if it wasn't a power move, it was still a nice finish to the match.

Hogan managed to take the spotlight, but still, a great way to finish a less than stellar PPV.