TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

I'll jump on the ladder match bandwagon. This match was amazing to watch live as it aired. I have never been so excited during a wrestling match. Jim Ross did great commentary and it made people actually believe that Jeff Hardy could actually be world champ.

5464274.jpg

The Undertaker vs. Jeff Hardy. World Title Match. Ladder Match. RAW 7-1-2002.

Yeah, JR screaming 'go get it kid' was a great moment, following a great match.

It was one of those matches where I thought 'yeah, Jeff could win the WWE title here, but I know Taker will'.

But the more the match went on, I started to think 'Maybe Jeff really could win this thing.

Christ, I can't believe it's been six years already.

stingLuug.jpg

Sting and Lex Luger vs. The Steiner Brothers/WCW Tag Team Titles/Superbrawl I/May 19th, 1991

Ok, I guess it's about time for me to take a tag match and this is one I've really enjoyed over the years. No real build up to this one, Sting and Luger asked for a title shot and the Steiners accepted. Pretty fast paced match here, although a little short, the crowd is into everything these guys dish out to one another. The finish sees Sting get knocked out by Nikita Koloff's chain when he interferes. Other than the cheap finish, this is a well put together match.

Cactus Jack vs. Randy Orton

Backlash 2004, Intercontinental Title No Holds Barred Match

foley250.jpg

Featuring Foley making Orton a star. Love the build-up to the match, Cactus takes a typical amount of punishment and then Orton suddenly takes a thumbtack bump and everything changes. A good example of a feud-ending match accomplishing exactly what the feud itself was supposed to.

Damn, Hardy vs. Taker was going to be one of my next two picks. With Angle having a title shot that same week on Smackdown, I was 99% sure that Jeff was going to win the title and transition it to Kurt. I remember being so disappointed when that didn't happen. Still a great match.

Ric Flair vs. Ricky Morton

Great American Bash 1986, NWA World Title, Cage Match

8730362.jpg

Just saw this match for the first time a few weeks ago and loved it. Told a really strong story with the build-up of Morton's nose being messed up by the Horsemen.

DudsHardy.jpg

The Hardys vs. The Dudleys/Tag Team Tables Match/Royal Rumble 2000/January 23rd, 2000

Going back to the first PPV I chose from, this one was all action start to finish. Some crazy bumps in this one as all 4 were really firing away at each other. The NY crowd was eating it up, too, as well as the crowd at my buddy's house that night. Of course, any tables match wouldn't be complete without Jeff diving off something onto somebody and this one doesn't disappoint, as Jeff dives off the balcony onto D-Von through a table to end it.

rvdsabu0403.jpg

ECW Originals(RVD, Sabu, Sandman, and Tommy Dreamer) vs. The New Breed(Elijah Burke, Marcus Cor Von, Matt Striker, and Kevin Thorn) Extreme Rules. ECW April 3. 2007

This is what their Wrestlemania 23 match should have been. A fun spot fest with a hot crowd and a hot ending. I can watch this match over and over again.

I'm sorry for the delay, but here are my two picks.

First, Foley-Funk vs. the New Age Outlaws from Wrestlemania 14 - dumpster match.

Second, Tables, Ladders, Chairs, Canes - Steve Corino, the Sandman, and Justin Credible from ECW Guilty as Charged '01, including Rhino's run=in and title win.

I'm sorry for the delay, but here are my two picks.

First, Foley-Funk vs. the New Age Outlaws from Wrestlemania 14 - dumpster match.

Second, Tables, Ladders, Chairs, Canes - Steve Corino, the Sandman, and Justin Credible from ECW Guilty as Charged '01, including Rhino's run=in and title win.

I can't believe this is the first Ted Dibiase match to be used.

Wrestlemania 4

World Title Tournament Final

'Macho Man' Randy Savage vs 'The Million Dollar' Man Ted Dibiase

Hogan interference not included, I loved this match. Shame about the crowd, though.

4166063.jpg

ECW Originals(RVD, Sabu, Sandman, and Tommy Dreamer) vs. The New Breed(Elijah Burke, Marcus Cor Von, Matt Striker, and Kevin Thorn) Extreme Rules. ECW April 3. 2007

This is what their Wrestlemania 23 match should have been. A fun spot fest with a hot crowd and a hot ending. I can watch this match over and over again.

This is the match that ended with Burke doing the Elijah Express on Sabu through the table, right? I love that ending.

With my next pick, I choose:

bretkid.JPG

Bret "Hitman" Hart vs. 1-2-3 Kid - WWF Monday Night RAW - July 1, 1994 (aired July 11, 1994)

Kid pushes Bret to the limit in an excellent 25 minute bout. I love these underdog championship matches.

Mr. Perfect vs. The Blue Blazer

WrestleMania V

Atlantic City, NJ

April 5, 1989

I love this match. Everytime I want to remember why I never grew out of wrestling, I can put this in and it all comes back. Booked as an undercard showcase to continue Hennig's WWF winning streak, these two really stole the show.

perf24.jpg

With my next pick, I select:

post-2806-1213397532.jpg

Chris Jericho v. Triple H/Last Man Standing/Fully Loaded '00/July 23, 2000

Loved the build, and the crowd was pretty hot for the match.

Well, since it didn't get scooped up during the ladder match series of drafts, I guess I'll get it now. My favorite TNA match still available:

1199405.jpg

Jerry Lynn vs. Low-Ki vs. AJ Styles

Three-Way Ladder Match

8/28/2002

When these three and the X-division undercard were getting (NWA)TNA noticed, it was still in the weekly PPV phase and I pretty much wouldn't have anything to do with it. But this was the first show I ordered. Based on that show, I would've ordered every week if not for the lack of money. But at the very least I got this one great match.

I'm grabbing this now, even though I could probably go another 5 rounds without it being snapped up, because I love it so, so much:

rrrr.jpg

WWF Intercontinental Championship match: Honky Tonk Man [c] vs. Randy Savage, Saturday Night's Main Event, airdate October 3, 1987

Included with this match would be:

- both prematch promos, including Savage's legendary Danger Zone promo ("I've been in the Danger Zone, east of the Pacific Ocean, west of London, England, south of Mars, and north of hell, yeah!")

- the famous postmatch activities, culminating in the formation of the Megapowers

- Hogan and Savage's even more legendary postmatch promo, in all its homoerotic glory

First selection is WarGames '91. A redundant pick in a way, but this match is way too good to let slide. Participants are Ric Flair, Sid Vicious, Arn Anderson and Larry Zbyszko vs. Sting, Brian Pillman and the Steiner Brothers.

wrestlewar91.gif

Second, I'd like one Survivor Series matchup. We will go with the Ten Team Tag Match from Survivor Series 1987. Non-stop action from bell to bell. Strike Force, Young Stallions, the Rougeaus, the Killer Bees and the British Bulldogs against the Hart Foundation, the Islanders, Demolition, the Bolsheviks, Greg Valentine and Dino Bravo.

thumb1wweroyalrumble21192847157.jpg

Royal Rumble match, January 24, 2004

I wanted a Royal Rumble match, and this one is easily the best of what's left. Lots of great stuff in this one -- Benoit winning from #1, Benoit and Orton going half an hour from the beginning, Foley's surprise appearance, everyone trying to gang up on Big Show but Benoit being the only one to figure out how to eliminate him, The Cat's entrance (and exit), Cena and Nunzio, Lesnar and Goldberg, etc.

I'm really surprised this match hasn't been picked, especially since JBL vs. Cena from the year after was. This match was great anyways, but Eddie's accidentally deep blade job made it that much better.

200px-Eddie_JBL_JD04.jpg

JBL vs. Eddie Guerrero - WWE Championship - Judgment Day 2004

With my 11th pick I select:

post-2806-1213421592_thumb.jpg

Shawn Michaels v. Razor Ramon/WWF I-C Title-Ladder Match/Summerslam '95

I think I like the WM X match a little bit better, but this was an amazing match as well.

I swear I already had this match in mind for my next pick even before Al took the 1987 version...

With my next pick, I choose:

5982619.jpg

Powers of Pain, British Bulldogs, The Rockers, Hart Foundation & Young Stallions vs. Demolition, The Conquistadors, Brain Busters, Fabulous Rougeau Brothers & The Bolsheviks - WWF Survivor Series 1988 - November 24, 1988

My favorite "Survivor Series" elimination match.