TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Gert T

Desert Island Draft Thread

Okay, since 12 hours have passed hopefully I'm okay to go.

I've checked, double checked, triple checked the list and I can't believe we've managed to miss this between us. My 18th round pick...

Ric Flair vs. Mr Perfect

Monday Night Raw (18th Jan '93), Loser Leaves WWF

lynnrvd22cw.jpg

RVD vs. Jerry Lynn/ECW TV Title/Living Dangerously/March 21st, 1999

Seeing as their Hardcore Heaven match has already been taken, I'll grab their match from Living Dangerously, which helped show people Lynn was a serious worker in the business. Some nice highspots in this one as RVD and Lynn go back and forth trading shots and moves(and each missing shots and moves), RVD finishes Lynn off with a Van Daminator followed by a nasty 5 star frog splash(changing direction in mid air) to a standing ovation from the crowd, to retain the TV title.

slam96.jpg

Shawn Michaels vs. Vader. WWF Championship. Summerslam 1996. August 18, 1996.

A fun little match. Nothing much to say about this really. Just a personal favorite of mine.

Triple H vs The Rock

First Smackdown

Shawn Michaels as the guest referee.. this match is by no means a classic, but Michaels turning on Rock at the end with the superkick (only not to be seen for months after!) made this match for me.

Canadian Guitarist is up for two picks, followed by King Cucharacha.

PM's are key in the NHL draft.

My first pick, though it could be any of a number of similar matches, is a match I attended live: From ECW Hardcore TV on April 15, 2000 (though it was taped April 8): Super Crazy vs. Tajiri vs. Little Guido for the ECW TV title. This planted the seed of Tajiri as a face, and prompted one of the lines most-quoted ever by my buddies and I. Cyrus told the crowd he was going to hand the TV title to Rhino at Cyberslam:

Cyrus: (hits the ring) Yes! Yes! Yes! Dammit! Yes! Ladies and gentlemen, your winner! The man who will hand the tv title to the network at Cyberslam!

Joey Styles: (on commentary) WHAT!?!?!?!

Cyrus: Yoshihiro......Tajiri! We've got it! I've got it! I'm bigger than life! I'm bigger than God, by God! I also liked the following mindless brawl between The Sandman and Rhino. I still have to say that being part of the Sandman's entrance through the crowd is one of the coolest things I've ever been a part of.

I'll start off the 18th round with a forgettable match that I loved when I was 11; at the time I had no idea what kind of guys these two were backstage, but now, it probably wouldn't matter. This match was great, before it got overdone six-eight years later: Shawn Michaels vs Triple H for the WWF title on Raw, May 96.

Steel Cage Match

The Rock vs. HHH

RAW is WAR

June 29, 1999

Fayetteville, NC

Another match that I, until it was recently included in The Rock's new DVD set, feared would go underappreciated. Probably my favorite main event match of 1999, and definitely my personal favorite Rock/Helmsley contest.

The match aired July 5, 1999.

Not a pic from the actual match...

bret_benoit2.jpg

Chris Benoit vs. Bret "Hitman" Hart - WCW Monday Nitro - March 1, 1999

While the emotion in the Owen tribute match pushes it above this one, this 20-minute random Nitro match that nobody remembers is actually better in-ring wise IMO. A big plus for this one is that it has a clear face vs. heel dynamic. Yes, he was badly used but, now looking back, Bret was an awesome dick heel during his WCW run.

The Great Muta vs. Hiro Hase

12/14/1992

The match that started the "Muta Scale."

Yes! Great match, I was thinking about grabbing that one earlier.

I think 12 hours is up...fourth out of the four well-known matches involving these two is still better than the vast majority of matches out there:

spring_stampede_94.jpg

WCW World Heavyweight Championship match: Ric Flair [c] vs. Ricky Steamboat, Spring Stampede, April 17, 1994

Out of the ten or so matches left on my list, I've narrowed it down to two. I'm virtually certain one will not be picked, so I'll leave it for last. Which leaves me with this match:

7600eb6709a01b333da91110._AA280_.L.jpg

The Megapowers (Randy Savage & Hulk Hogan) vs. The Megabucks (Ted DiBiase & Andre the Giant), Summerslam 88, August 29, 1988

The atmosphere for this was just off the charts. Not bad from a technical standpoint, either, but that's not why you're watching this match.

Make-up pick:

batista-kennedy.jpg

Mr. Kennedy vs. Batista - World Heavyweight Championship - Royal Rumble 2007

I just needed some Kennedy, and I remember this match being pretty good.

Current pick:

2735089.200803071208409155.jpg

Edge vs. Eddie Guerrero - No Disqualification Match - Smackdown 9/26/02

7381141.jpg

Al Snow vs. Big Boss Man, Kennel from Hell

Unforgiven

From the Hard Knocks and Cheap Pops DVD

Taking a bit of a different direction for my last two picks. I'm specifically taking the Mick Foley/Kevin Kelley commentary version. It takes an almost hilariously awful match and makes it hilarious.

Gert's time has passed but he told me he'd be out for a while...

Time for my next pick...only pic I could find:

1036057.jpg

Sexxxy Eddy vs. El Generico vs. Kevin Steen vs. Excess 69 - CZW High Stakes - September 11, 2004

Had to have some Steenerico on my island cause they're friends of mine. Name drop! :P

Anyway, this was their first U.S. appearance and they didn't disappoint. Amazing spotfest and showcase for the IWS wrestlers.

With my 19th Round Pick, I select:

Chris Benoit v. William Regal/Brian Pillman Memorial Show/Hard Knocks DVD/August 2000

If you mention this match to me, I think of a few things. 1. It was about 130 degress in Schmidt Fieldhouse that night. 2. It was a very hard-hitting match. 3. It seemed like everyone in the crowd knew that they were watching something special.

I wanted to take at least one match that I was at live since watching it again makes me remember the experience. Probably not as great as I remembered on multiple occasions, but brings back great memories (and I can't believe its been 7 years!)

Chicago Street Fight

Colt Cabana vs. Homicide

ROH Better Than Our Best

April 1, 2006

Chicago Ridge, IL

My the best match that I have ever seen live and in person. For those of you who weren't/aren't familiar with the Homicide-Cabana program, it had a great build and this match was an awesome blowoff to the feud. Easily one of the best shows that ROH ever put together, and the showing that these guys had is a big reason why.

picture-1490450-1.jpg

Triple H vs Randy Orton

Unforgiven 2004

World Championship

Notes:

Randy went for the RKO but HHH pushed him off and into referee Earl Hebner. Randy then connected with the RKO on Triple H, but there was no referee. Ric Flair and Batista came down and got involved as well. Triple H connected with a low blow, and The Coach ran down to the ring, throwing on a referee shirt as he went. Randy was able to kick out and punch Coach, but Batista laid him out with a spinebuster. Orton kicked out of the pin, countered Triple H's Pedigree with a back body drop, and then delivered the RKO to Coach. But now Flair came in again, this time with a steel chair, and he received an RKO. Batista entered, and he got two fists to the groin. But during all this, Triple H grabbed the chair and really connected on Orton. And for good measure, he delivered the Pedigree right onto the chair. Hebner was tossed in to make the count.

I remember this match just for the finish.. Killed Orton's reign immediately, but a favourite.

Chicago Street Fight

Colt Cabana vs. Homicide

ROH Better Than Our Best

April 1, 2006

Chicago Ridge, IL

My the best match that I have ever seen live and in person. For those of you who weren't/aren't familiar with the Homicide-Cabana program, it had a great build and this match was an awesome blowoff to the feud. Easily one of the best shows that ROH ever put together, and the showing that these guys had is a big reason why.

picture-1490450-1.jpg

I almost picked that one.

image084.jpg

John Cena vs. Carlito vs. Chris Masters vs. Kurt Angle vs. Kane vs. Shawn Michaels. Elimination Chamber/Edge vs. John Cena. New Years Revolution. January 8, 2006.

Very fun match. The crowd reaction for Edge's title win was amazing.

5823216.jpg

Eddy Guerrero vs. Dean Malenko/2 out of 3 Falls/ECW/August 26, 1995

The final matches for both both Eddy and Dean in ECW. A nice technical match showcasing each ones abilities. The ECW crowd is quite vocal throughout the match, chanting "Please, Don't Go!", but really appreciating what they both bring to the table skill-wise. The first fall is a little sloppy, as Eddy gets a quick rollup on Dean aftr some submission and mat wrestling, Dean gets a fall of his own fairly quickly after that with a submission off a Texas Cloverleaf. They finiish with a great sequence where both of their shoulders are down with the 3 count, so it's a draw. I would definitely take the post match thank you's of Eddy and Dean to the ECW crowd, and the locker room emptying to celebrate two of the best.

Okay, it's come to the time for my two hold-over picks. If I'm stuck on a desert island with only wrestling to watch I'm damn sure going to need some comedy. Now, I could have probably filled out my entire 20 picks with nothing but comedy matches if I'd wanted to (no exaggeration), so I restrained myself. There's no way I can't have this match though, straight matches, comedy matches, whatever.

Simply put, THIS... IS... AWE... SOME.

200px-Chikaralogo.jpg

The North Star Express vs. The Olsen Twins

CHIKARA Young Lions Cup V Night 3

946542203D122D3A8B897E.jpgdefault.jpg

The BIG GUYS~! slow the pace down a little...

First, I'll take a wildly entertaining match from ECW on TNN. It was actually filmed before Credible's successful defence of the Heavyweight title over Tommy Dreamer at Heatwave '00, but aired the following Friday. They slightly botched the finish, but it was a cool spot, and Tajiri's kicks were even easier to believe with Credible battered from the barbed wire the previous Sunday.

Justin Credible vs. Tajiri, ECW Title, ECW on TNN, July '00.

I'll start the final round off with a forgettable match, save the last 15 seconds. From January 2003 on Smackdown, Big Show vs. Brock Lesnar. This.

Okay, with my last pick I'm going to take...

Steve Austin vs. Savio Vega

In Your House: Beware Of Dog 2, Carribean Strap Match

8989332.jpg

My mind was changed last minute. This one wasn't even on my list until I happened to watch it again today. A really well worked, physical match, their second in 48 hours after the lights went out on the first one.

Thats funny KC, my last round match pick, just came back to me too. There's about six different ways I could go, but I think I know which way I want to go now.

vlcsnap-26940.png

Ric Flair vs. Jumbo Tsuruta/NWA Title/2 out of 3 Falls/AJPW/June 8th, 1983

For my final pick, I'm taking two of the best in their primes, fighting for the NWA championship. This was in Japan, Flair and Jumbo had wrestled a few times previously to this one, but I think this is the best out of the bunch. A little strange for a 2/3 falls match, Jumbo takes the first fall about 30:00 minutes in, and the 2nd fall is the 60:00 minute time limit, so Jumbo took a fall, but because of the time, Flair walked out still the champ. Just a great match that builds and builds, with Flair working the leg and knee and Jumbo continuing to make the superman comeback time and again only to get stopped short due to the time limit. If you want to download the match, go to http://www.theditch.biz and its under the 4/17/08 update on the page.