TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Meh. This card may as well be name "The Shot Ones," as it's likely going to mainly consist of depressingly one sided bouts featuring has-been's and never-will-be's, and meaningless, openweight squash matches hold no appeal to me. In the end, they're going to end up with a HW GP, which will be interesting only in that Fedor isn't the garaunteed winner.

As for the BUSHIDO series, the Kawajiri & Hansen fiasco has likely taken them out of the running for a rematch with Gomi anytime soon, and thus Gomi vs. random featherweight will likely be your next lightweight superfight 9after Gomi/Thomson). As foir the MW scene, they're hoping to have a Japanese MW GP to find a contender for Henderson, which is stupid on so many levels. They also seem to have no idea what to do with their try-out winners, and yet feel the need to bring someone like Jason Black in.

They just showed a "UFC" fight on Sportscentre up here on TSN. I was freaking out and was going to give it its own thread because coverage on sports shows means legitimacy~! but it wasn't actually a UFC fight (there were ropes and whatnot) and the only reason it was aired was because the fighter was a member of a CFL team.

K-1 HERO's results:

-Antonio McKee defeated Kiuma Kunioku by two round unanimous decision

-Melvin Manhoef defeated Shungo Oyama by first round KO via punch*

-Jerome LeBanner defeated Jimmy Ambriz by KO via punch

-Kazuyuki Miyata defeated Erikas Petraitis by first round submission via armbar

-Caol Uno defeated Rich Clementi by two round unanimous decision

-Yoshihiro Akiyama defeated Tokimitsu Ishizawa by first round submission via lapel choke

-Heath Herring defeated Gary Goodridge by second round KO via soccer kick

-Min Soo Kim defeated Yoshihisa Yamamoto by second round TKO via strikes

-Genki Sudo defeated Ole Laursen by three round unanimous decision

-Hideo Tokoro defeated Yoshinori Ikeda by first round submission via triangle choke

And A BKer's thoughts:

Antonio McKee def. Kiuma Kunioku

DUD.

McKee proves his worth as one of the most exciting fighters alive and Kunioku is destined to fight more of these types. What's the deal with these match ups anyway? Rodrigo Gracie? Antonio McKee?

Melvin Mahoef def. Shungo Oyama

Manhoef is a house of fire and comes out blazing at the opening bell. He opens up a cut. I almost wished they stopped it right there as he continued to bludgeon poor Oyama when the fight continued. Oyama's bleeding like a stuck pig.

Jerome LeBanner def. Jimmy Ambriz

Ambriz predictably took JLB down, but was unable to do anything. Why? Because he's not that good of a fighter and because they liked to restart the fight quickly to ensure more exciting fights. Ambriz's luck runs out as JLB drops him. Serves him right for rushing into JLB without a proper guard.

Kazuyuki Miyata def. Erikas Petraitis

Miyata owned him, the match basically consisted out of Miyata taking him down and pounding him at will. There wasn't even any struggle in terms of positioning as Miyata was clearly superior. He seized the opportunity and finished him with an armbar.

Caol Uno def. Rich Clementi

Uno was never really in trouble and nearly sleepwalked through the fight. He was never in danger of losing the fight both standing or on the ground. He looked sharp nonetheless and it was a decent fight between a reportedly injured fighter and his slightly overweight opponent.

Heath Herring def. Gary Goodrige

Herring had a bit of a problem taking Goodridge down and didn't really seem to get things going. Goodrige actually took Herring down initially. When Herring took him down he wasn't exactly given much time to do something. But he gradually eased up into the round. You can really see when Goodridge is hurt and as he staggered Heath didn't give him any time to recover and finished him off.

Yoshihiro Akiyama def. Tokimitsu Ishizawa

The striking level was immeasurably low, with Akiyama looking a bit better with his swing for the fence style as opposed to Ishizawa's "you can see my punches coming from a mile away" style. Ishizawa couldn't get him down and I don't know if Akiyama simply didn't want to or not but it made for a chaotic first round. Akiyama hulks up and throws Ishizawa down to the mat (Ishizawa was out of options by now and only went for the takedown - which he didn't get). Akiyama then applied the aforementioned choke.

Min Soo Kim def. Yoshihisa Yamamoto

Fun brawl, well if you're not expecting a MMA classic. And how can you with these two involved? If Yamamoto was one of your favourites back in RINGS, now is the time to cover your head in shame. Kim throws awkward punches to say the least, it looks like he's actually trying to keep his opponent at bay instead of trying to hurt him.

Genki Sudo def. Ole Laursen

I think Sudo might have reinjured himself again (doubt he was healthy in the first place). Laursen looked good and threw plenty of knees in the clinch to make me happy. Seemed like Sudo had trouble with someone that's just as big and strong as him as the fight didn't go down the way many predicted it go. Sudo did win the extension round without too much trouble.

Hideo Tokoro def. Yoshinori Ikeda

Was there ever any doubt as to who was going to win? Tokoro wasn't about to clown around and get knocked out again and quickly took Ikeda down before suckering him into a triangle choke. Ikeda shows some Yamato Damashii and doesn't tap.

This is bugging the shit out of me. Is Vitor fighting anywhere? did he just move on? I know after a few losses in a row its hard to stay with UFC, but I still feel this guy is too young to be killed off already. White even let Ricco Rodriguez step in and fight one more time. Look at Tim Sylvia! What is Vitor up to? Anyone know?

People would probably care more if:

1) Jens hadn't let himself play undersized job boy in PRIDE.

2) His "superfight" opponent hadn't just got pwnzered by Urijah Faber.

3) IFL wasn't going to fold quickstyle.

Guest Brian
"Razor" Rob McCollough nailing Crazy Meth Jesus with the Spear of Longinus is your early leader for KO of the Year.

Did you get this show? I need me my Olaf fix.

You know there is something that is bugging me.

They teach things like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, and other asian martial arts forms as self defense. But they don't work in MMA. Why is that? Why can't you just walk out there and block the guys attack and do some awesome punch or kick? Does that stuff not exist? How are those things a valid form of self defense then and why are they taught if they won't work again soemone that knows what they are doing in a fight?

You know there is something that is bugging me.

They teach things like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, and other asian martial arts forms as self defense. But they don't work in MMA. Why is that? Why can't you just walk out there and block the guys attack and do some awesome punch or kick? Does that stuff not exist? How are those things a valid form of self defense then and why are they taught if they won't work again soemone that knows what they are doing in a fight?

You'd be opening a whole can of worms that is still being discussed to death on martial arts boards. A few points consistently brought up:

- Sport fighting's rules and training within those rules can hinder someone's effectiveness in the street, where there's any number of X factors a sport fighter probably hasn't trained for (multiple opponents, weapons, dirty moves, etc.). On the other hand, though the efficiency of them is very much in question, most traditonal martial arts have training and techniques for such situations.

- Many people still hold on to the old notions that what they see in old kung fu movies will work (as opposed to right cross to the nose), and that there's some old, Chinese hermit out there somewhere who would beat the shit out of everyone.

- In contrast to the above point, there's been a recent surge of martial arts "getting back to their roots," which is to say practitioners feel their arts have been watered over the years by McDojos and that they're now training in the fashion that made these arts effective in old school Hong Kong rooftop fights.

- Many people who train in martial arts never actually get the opprotunity to test their arts outside of the dojo, and hence never get reinforcement (positive or negative) about their skills and style, whereas even in training, most people who train in sports arts practice in a live fashion amongst other people who've fought/competed regularly, or do so themselves.