TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

UFC Unleashed had the most disturbing thing I have ever seen in my life. A man with half of his breastbone gone.

What's the deal with that?? Did he have cancer? Was he born that way?? What???

You know there is something that is bugging me.

They teach things like Karate, Tae Kwon Do, Kung Fu, and other asian martial arts forms as self defense. But they don't work in MMA. Why is that? Why can't you just walk out there and block the guys attack and do some awesome punch or kick? Does that stuff not exist? How are those things a valid form of self defense then and why are they taught if they won't work again soemone that knows what they are doing in a fight?

You'd be opening a whole can of worms that is still being discussed to death on martial arts boards. A few points consistently brought up:

- Sport fighting's rules and training within those rules can hinder someone's effectiveness in the street, where there's any number of X factors a sport fighter probably hasn't trained for (multiple opponents, weapons, dirty moves, etc.). On the other hand, though the efficiency of them is very much in question, most traditonal martial arts have training and techniques for such situations.

- Many people still hold on to the old notions that what they see in old kung fu movies will work (as opposed to right cross to the nose), and that there's some old, Chinese hermit out there somewhere who would beat the shit out of everyone.

- In contrast to the above point, there's been a recent surge of martial arts "getting back to their roots," which is to say practitioners feel their arts have been watered over the years by McDojos and that they're now training in the fashion that made these arts effective in old school Hong Kong rooftop fights.

- Many people who train in martial arts never actually get the opprotunity to test their arts outside of the dojo, and hence never get reinforcement (positive or negative) about their skills and style, whereas even in training, most people who train in sports arts practice in a live fashion amongst other people who've fought/competed regularly, or do so themselves.

What do you mean about the getting back to it's roots? Wonder where I could find one of those.

And you mean there isn't some old chinese dude out there with a death touch? ;)

You see spinning back kicks/fists, jumping spins kicks, axe kicks etc. by some of the more dynamic fighters. The problem is leaving yourself open for a counter-attack, which is why more fighters are conservative in the move dept. than willing to take the risks. I imagine most techniques used in traditional martial arts could be applied to MMA, it's just a matter of setting the move up, and following it up. We don't know which techniques work and which don't unless guys try them.

Sakuraba did a cartwheel guard pass, the jumping double stomp, mongolian chops. After that, you had more guys doing unorthodox techniques, though a lil less now because of Sakurabas decline. It's very much an evolutionary process with MMA, and Natural Selection is the strongest styles survive.

And lots of TMA are dogmatic in their approach and are so focused on routine that they lose sight of practicality. It gets to the point to where it's "ok, you punch me. No, you are punching wrong. Ok, just leave your arm out. *WHAPAH~!* now I broke your wrist. It also helps that they only compete against guys who study the same style of fighting, so they don't have to worry about, say, a takedown if they are a standing martial art. That would change the dynamic greatly.

Dude's name is Tra (pronounced Tre) Telligmen and it's his pectoral muscle that's missing. Lost it in a car accident as a child, IIRC.

Holy shit.... that was giving me the douche chills something fierce last night.... I still shudder any time I think about it. He looked like an effective enough fighter, but wouldn;t that be a disadvantage of some kind?

You see spinning back kicks/fists, jumping spins kicks, axe kicks etc. by some of the more dynamic fighters. The problem is leaving yourself open for a counter-attack, which is why more fighters are conservative in the move dept. than willing to take the risks.

Well not only does risk/reward need to come into play, but also a matter of simply who can pull said moves off. It takes a hell of a lot more athelticism to properly throw (much less land) a spinning back kick than it does for an overhand right.

- On Telligman: the lack of a pec doesn't seem to have effected him much. While hardly a top level fighter, he's shown good stand-up skill and power, and actually competed as low-level pro boxer. Of course, such things have led to the inevitable "Imagine what Tra could do with TWO pecs!" jokes, which still happen to be funnier than the "Sapp with another year of training" jokes.

On a comeback and who he's fighting...

Miletich: I wish I could (laughs). I wish I could open my mouth, but it’s a fight that I’ve wanted for a lot of years. We’re great friends and when we talked about fighting each other we laughed. We said, “Yeah, let’s go out and knock the living hell out of each other and put on a great show for the crowd.” It’s going to be a lot of fun. The card is exceptional from top to bottom, the fighters that are on it are phenomenal.

So any rumours?

Present company excluded? Wouldn't bet on it.

There is the stuff on ESPN with guys who do some crazy movie shit.

That doesn't really count though. Fedor is the closest thing you will find, and even he has his weaknesses.

Read the other thread for the full interview. All in all very interesting, especially the court document.

Rumour has it that OWGP winner will fight Fedor at the end of the year. I am happy about this, the champion should never fight in the tournament, the tournament winner should fight the Champ. It also makes the tournament a lot more unpredictable.

Okay, why isn't McCullough in UFC *right now*? That guy has good defense, and the ability to knock guys right the fuck out, as evidenced by that knockout of Olaf.

That was just about as sweet a knockout as I have ever seen since I started watching MMA.

Rob is still not quite a UFC caliber fighter, and though he's improved a bit from his awkward early days in the sport, the UFC only recently brought back their 155lbs. lightweight division.

I do hold out hope that there is some mystery out there. That there is some guy in Hong Kong that doesn't teach his art to anyone but the ones he deems worthy. That there is still someone with an art out there that could walk into any bar, MMA event, boxing match, dojo in the world and take anything that looks at him out.

Maybe if Genki spent less time planning his entrances and more time training he wouldn't look like shit against suckass competition.

He's slowly falling from "wasted talent" to "never-was."

I just rented UFC Classics 1. It's just the first UFC tournament. Man is it boring.

The announcers are also really docile and don't really know what's happening.

Guest Brian

I still think Genki doing Wild Thing is perhaps the greatest entrance I've ever seen.

BTW, check out the top ten wrestling:

DVDs

1. WWE No Way Out Angle vs. Undertaker (1,566)

2. UFC Classics Volume 1 (2,009)

3. Pride Fists of Fire (2,109)

4. Pride Legacy Shows 12-16 (2,232)

5. UFC Classics Volume 2 (2,463)

6. WWE Royal Rumble 2006 (2,924)

7. WWE Divas Do New York (3,254)

8. ECW's Most Violent Matches (3,346)

9. UFC Classics Volume 4 (4,543)

10. Tombstone: History of The Undertaker (4,738)

I usually don't pay much attention to these when Meltz posts them but four MMA DVDs in the top five, plus two PRIDE DVDs. It seems like those Classics have much stronger legs than any of the newer shows but I'm not sure.

Yeah people wnat to see where it began but it's really boring. Nobody has a chance against Royce Gracie in these early ones. He sure does talk a lot of trash after these fights. Has he always been like this?

He's fighting Matt Hughes isn't he? Does he have much chance?

Guest AndrewisyourHero
Yeah people wnat to see where it began but it's really boring. Nobody has a chance against Royce Gracie in these early ones. He sure does talk a lot of trash after these fights. Has he always been like this?

If you believe Rudo, then yes.

Rob is still not quite a UFC caliber fighter, and though he's improved a bit from his awkward early days in the sport, the UFC only recently brought back their 155lbs. lightweight division.

He was being outgrappled by Olaf.

Just saying.

Even the announcers during that match were talking about how wacked Olaf's style is. It seems to me that dude is just too mentally unstable. He had a triangle on no less than two or three seperate occasions, and Rob still got out of them.

Even though its Lidell's and Arlovski's world in the UFC right now, I think Rob would be a good addition to the LW division, recently brought back or not.

If you believe Rudo, then yes.

Not even Rudo believes Rudo on that one.