TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RavishingRickRudo

MMA Comments that Don't Warrant a Thread

Guest Brian

I think Griffin has a good chance in that fight. Tito's favored, but Griffin has a good chance and with the right line, I would put money down on Griffin.

Whether Tito wins or loses, I'm sure they'll get him another title match after the Ken fight. Unless Ken has magic in his hands that night.

As I've been saying for a while now (and people still don't realize) is that Griffin has one of the best ground games at 205lbs. He can G&P, fight off his back, control positisions, etc. However, Forrest has fallen in love with brawling, and as such has almost seemingly forgotten what his strengths are. As my buddy put it:

The fact that Forrest can brawl is great. The fact that Forrest likes to brawl is not so great.

He's still decent enough on his feet to give Tito problems, though, and considering Tito has seemingly lost all of his aggression on the ground, he'll most likely have ample time to work his guard game when Tito takes him down.

While Forrest has a great ground game, methinks that with the problems Horn gave him, not to mention the fact that he couldn't really do much to Bonnar once he got him on the ground, lead me to believe that this will be a slow GnP decision for Ortiz. Ortiz has very good submission defense, and I personally don't think anyone at 205 can submit him. The only way to beat Ortiz is to put him on his back or KO him on the feet. I don't think Forrest is capable of either.

It would probably be best for Forrest not to forget about brawling. He's not going to be able to take Tito to the ground, so he might as well brawl till Tito decides to take him down.

IIRC, Forrest took Stephan down easily the one time he tried (late 1st round), took his back and had a decent armbar attempt. It may have not been overly impressive, but IMO showed that Forrest more than likely could've taken Bonnar out had he concentrated on a ground match.

Also, though Tito is a tough guy to submit, the fact that he let Cote work a guard game against without severely punishing him in return leads me to believe that Tito's just asking to get put a tough situation against Forrest.

Guest Brian

I just watched IFC Global Domination and Forrest gets a slick triangle on Chael Sonnen. He just slides up really well, traps the arm, and boom. Just thought I'd say.

People forget that Forrest won his first official UFC fight by rear naked choke.

Of course it was against a no-namer with minimal defense but still, it's not like his ground skills are non-existent.

No one is denying the slickness of his game, and we don't need a win over local job boy Bill Mahood to figure that out. Tito Ortiz has shown to be difficult to submit, while at the same time being able to hold down guys with decent to good ground games. While Forrest is a step above what he's used to, I still think Ortiz will be too much for him, and I have a feeling that with all the circumstances surrounding the matchup, he'll be fired up and fight like he has something to prove, since he does.

But who cares about that, BJ Penn is back! Penn-Karo or Penn-Trigg for the winner of Hughes-GSP. That fantasy matchup might just become a reality! I'd be worried for Penn if he fought Trigg though, too many people are forgetting that he fought with a blown ankle against GSP. He will be 100% by the time he fights again.

I just watched IFC Global Domination and Forrest gets a slick triangle on Chael Sonnen. He just slides up really well, traps the arm, and boom. Just thought I'd say.

Sonnen walks around at about 195, Griffin at 227. Ortiz is actually the same size, so for once Ortiz won't be fighting a submission fighter much smaller than he is. Still, it will be tough for Forrest.

Also, Babalu got a nice little armbar on Sonnen too. No real point to me mentioning that, but with the inclusion of Tito in the UFC and Randy-Chuck 3 talk of Babalu has fallen by the wayside. We need more Babalu.

I'm looking forward to his fight with Jorge Rivera. Jorge's ground game seems to have improved (Hallman admittedly isn't a real MW) and he always had really good standup. Since Swick will probably want to stand with him, this will be his biggest test. I guarantee one thing, it won't end in the first 30 seconds like the other ones did.

Ken does not need to be a coach since everybody already knows who he is.  If the purpose of TUF is to promote new stars then making Frank Shamrock a coach would be the perfect promotion tool to reintroduce him for his comeback to UFC and the new fans of the sport.

"You will never see Frank Shamrock in the UFC again." His own words.

Forrest better work his guard sweeps like crazy for Tito if that fight rolls around.

I'd like to see a Babalu Tito fight. Babalu has equal if not better wrestling, he's just as strong and has fought at heavyweight, has fantastic sweeps, improving subs with a knack for setting them up inventively since he went to the Gracie Combat Team, decent GnP and decent kickboxing. It could be quite competitive but Tito probably doesn't consider him a big enough name and not worth the risk.

I'd rather see Babalu/Forrest based on Forrests comments in his UFC.tv interview vid where he talks about people shit-talking him and Babalu's name is dropped. The only name, actually.

Sam/Babalu- Winner gets Forrest.

The Franklin KO also has the added bonus of the irony in Quarry saying that he was gonna expose Franklin's weak chin. I hope someone creates a clip or Franklin HL that includes Quarry delivering the line about the weak chin than him getting KTFO and seizing up right after.

I read this on Sherdog, it's about Zuffa buying out the UFC. But can anyone tell me what's up with this? It seems that SD is trying to imply that Zuffa didn't make up the new rules. Still, they sound bitter in knocking the mainstream media for getting one fact wrong, when they did a really good job of promoting the sport.

"Mainstream Media

While we bow our heads and pray that someday we may be considered as wise and important as our mainstream media big brothers, we can’t let ‘em get away with everything. So, Time and Sports Illustrated … and just about everyone else, listen here: GET THE STORY RIGHT, WOULD YOU!

I digress.

Let’s get a few things straight: Dana White and the boys at Zuffa had as much to do with the making of mixed martial arts rules as we know them today as the Sherdog.com staff had in creating Magnum Condoms.

For those of you still confused (and it’s not the easiest metaphor to get), that basically means that Dana and Co. had nothing to do with MMA rules in New Jersey, which promoted sanctioned MMA before Zuffa was anything more than a word thrown around by street kids in Naples, or anywhere else for that matter.

And that’s no crime, that’s just the truth. YET, bastions of journalism like Time and SI, which in 2005 ran feature stories on the UFC, purported it was Zuffa that came along and saved all of us from ourselves. Apparently, MMA would be the pastime of drug addicts and pedophiles if it wasn’t for the philanthropic company based in the Nevada desert.

Furthermore, numerous daily newspapers in this country have written similar pieces without, it seems, checking their facts. No wonder the UFC prefers this brand of reporting to media that actually knows what it’s talking about.

Two roasted Guinea Pigs are to be sent to Time and SI with the note, “Enjoy these wonderful Thanksgiving Turkeys, as even though they look and taste nothing like turkey, this message is surely enough to convince you otherwise. Now eat up.”"

Okay, so that's what they meant when they used to say "as a whitebelt he used to tap out blackbelts"? I thought they meant BJJ blackbelts.

A black belt in judo lost credibility for me when I found out that Frank Trigg, yes Frank Trigg, is a SECOND degree black belt in Judo.