TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Red Baron

Golf Thread for June.

I'm saying Tiger will win and its not going to be pretty either.

If Tiger isn't winning, we might see a Tin Cup finale on the 18th if the pin is placed near the pond.

No tourney names and locations? Amateur.

And yes, the pin at 18 will be front on Sunday, as always (John Daly's sand save in the playoff is probably the most memorable image of it the last few years).

In news that could easily be discussed elsewhere Ballard, if you're home for the Mini Masters, Meagan is now welcome.

Aaron has invited Andrea, throwing the 2nd-most Augusta-like thing about our tourney out the window (that being the sexism).

C'mon, the only one I'm interested in is The US Open, and considering I'm driving across Canada this week I wont be able to catch any rounds of the open at all.

I got a lucky break -- it's my wife's turn to have Father's Day with her dad, but we're doing it in the morning thanks to a scheduling twist with her brother's family. So, I'll be home to watch the entire final round. :D

My top five:

1) Tiger. Let's say his knee isn't 100% and that cancels out his success here. So at the end of the day, it's still Tiger.

2) Phil Mickelson. Looked pretty average at the Memorial. Still, been playing well, had some success here, including a win over Tiger in 2000.

3) Geoff Ogilvy. Played well in the big events this year.

4) Sergio Garcia. It's pretty naive to compare Paul Goydos to Padraig Harrington, but I get the impression Sergio's made it over the hump.

5) Charles Howell III is my darkhorse. Runner-up here before, and sneaky long enough to handle Torrey.

I've deliberately worked overtime each day this week, so I'm forced to leave work early Sunday. Turns out with primetime, it'd still be on if I worked a regular day anyway, but, even better.

71,72,73 for Mick, Tiger, and Scott in the Big Three. All of them aren't too far behind at E, +1, +2.

Dustin Hicks plays the Nationwide Tour. Who the hell is Kevin Streelman?

I like Appelby too, and I think he's one of these fringe guys that's won enough regular events that he shouldn't crumble coming home.

Thirty coming in? Fuck, that's impressive.

Ho-lee SHIT. Those were two of the most compelling hours of golf you'll ever see.

I have no idea how Tiger's going to get it done on the bad knee Sunday, but I have no doubt he'll find a way. And then take four weeks off in preparation for the Open. He may not even play his own tournament.

Poor Phil. On the 13th, he reminded me of how I golf.

Shots 3, 4,5,6 all came back down the front. That was terrible to watch.

So, my roomie gets home and asks me what's goin on with the golf. I say "Rocco had the lead after nine. Tiger went out in +2. Tiger's not out of it, but he's never won without a 54-hole lead." Sure enough, I open up Internet Explorer to check the scores, and get a huge pic of a Tiger fist pump. That's insane. Two eagles through an entire US Open is a hell of a stat, let alone in the span of 150 minutes. I don't have two eagles in my life.

Worst of all, it negates Weir's solid -2, leaving him six back at +3. If the leader had been -1 or 2, I'd say Weir had a shot.....Tiger variable is up in the air.

I'm digging the idea of primetime, tomorrow, even if it does mean six hours of Johnny Miller.

So, is the playoff going to be on TV tomorrow at all? This would be pretty great to watch at work.

TSN's got it in Canada. Espn 12-2, NBC 2-4.

I actually could see this being pretty hard to watch; With golf actually taking place in ninety-or-so-second intervals, there's a lot of small talk by announcers and filler; the same principle applies to the weekend of the Match Play. To add to that, I've about hit my Johnny Miller boiling point for the week.

Even so, it'd have been nice to at least flip it on for a bit. But, even with Mondays being my only day off for the week, I was called in, which I suppose is karma for my parade of overtime to accommodate leaving early today.

If Tiger wins this tourney, this major victory would be his most memorable one. (so far)

Depends by what you mean by memorable. Actually, either way I don't see it.

Winning the Masters by 12 in 1997 or winning the Open by 15 in 2000 will be more memorable in restropect due to the complete domination.

The 2005 Masters duel with Chris Dimarco was more memorable as a competitive tourney. And the 2000 PGA was fantastic as well.

I really hate the whole round playoff for the Open. Especially having a job and missing it.

Usually the US Open is the most challenging and demanding tourney of all four majors. If he does win this playoff tourney today, I think more people would remember him winning this tourney than the open in 2000. I mean he's playing on a bad knee that he should be resting.

If Tiger wins this tourney, this major victory would be his most memorable one. (so far)

Winning the Masters by 12 in 1997 or winning the Open by 15 in 2000 will be more memorable in restropect due to the complete domination.

The 2005 Masters duel with Chris Dimarco was more memorable as a competitive tourney. And the 2000 PGA was fantastic as well.

I really hate the whole round playoff for the Open. Especially having a job and missing it.

If it was a sudden death format, Tiger would have already won after the 1st hole.

If it was a sudden death format, Tiger would have already won after the 1st hole.

There was a column in Golf Digest about that, a month following Retief Goosen's playoff win at Southern Hills in 01. Had the US Open used the playoff format of any other major, Mark Brooks would have won: He lead after one, three, and four holes.