TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exslade ZX

TSM Superhero Draft

My First Pick:

KillingJoke.jpg

The Joker

Possibly the greatest villain of all time. The dude is SO insane, not even HE knows his own origin. How much better can you get? He shoots the Commissioner's daughter in the back, paralyzes her, then abducts her dad and tries to break his mind. Oh My GOD, is he evil.

Batman%20Killing%20Joke%20special%20Alan%20Moore%20Brian%20Bolland.jpg

Not actually who I had planned to pick, as I thought he'd be gone first, but it's a no brainer. My first pick:

supermanzc7.jpg

Superman.

Why not go with the man who essentially started it all. He is comic book history. He stands for truth, justice, and the American way, and all that jazz...but really all you need to say, is, He's Superman.

And a little personal fact, I actually have a tattoo of the Superman logo. (Yea, I know I'm a total geek >_>)

Captain America

Capfire.jpg

Cap is the quintessential hero, starting from being a near cripple undergoing a potentially fatal experiment that puts him at the peak of human perfection. He's also a master of most forms of hand-to-hand combat, even creating his own disciplines.

He's more than just a jingoistic avatar of America; he symbolizes what the American dream is on a philosophical level. Many of a time he abandoned the government because he knew what they were doing was wrong, most recently during the whole Civil War debacle.

But most of all, Cap is respected from villains to heroes and everyone in between. Everyone in the Marvel pantheon is down with him from Spidey to Wolverine. He's helped train most of the Marvel heroes. Even the freaking Punisher respected him; refusing to fight back when Captain America kicked the shit out of him.

wait, was this a fantasy-style "snake" draft or a pro league style draft?

Fantasy style, serpentine rules. So the last person has both picks 15 and 16. In your case, your first two picks are 13 and 18.

With the number 5 selection I choose.....

The Martian Manhunter

martian-manhunter.jpg

The Martian Manhunter is considered one of the characters that started the Silver Age (the other being Barry Allen). J'onn J'onzz is the believed to be the last living martian. JJ'onzz possess superhuman strength, speed, durability, flight and "Martian vision" which is a term designating both the ability to see through solid objects and the ability to generate optic heat beams. He is also a powerful telepath and possesses great detective skills. He also can turn invisible or intangible, which makes him a great spy.

He is no longer scared of fire, although it can still kill or injure him. He is limited in his ability to pose as others. He sees the potential for good in humans although human emotion still leaves him confused. He is willing to die for humanity, which makes him a great hero.

martianmanhunterem8.jpg

In brightest day, in blackest night,

No evil shall escape my sight

Let those who worship evil's might,

Beware my power...Green Lantern's light!

Hal_Jordan.jpg

I'm glad he fell to me. I've always been a bit of a fan of the Green Lantern and I think he's a good base for my team.

Shiiiiit! My second pick is gone! Dammit!

Just to say, I woulda picked Kyle Raynor Green Lantern, mainly cos that's the only one I've ever really full on read, but from what I read of the others...yeah, I still choose Raynor.

That might just be me, though, but I stand by it~

Results: In regards to results I think the best way to do it, is to take notes from the NBA draft, where everyone will rank the teams 1-15 once the draft is done. (1-14 in the case of those participating.) The top will receive 15 points, the bottom receiving 1.

Can't we just not rate the teams, to avoid giving our opponents points? It will be fair because everyone will have the opportunity to put themselves at #1, and will then have a reason to even bother rating the teams.

Results: In regards to results I think the best way to do it, is to take notes from the NBA draft, where everyone will rank the teams 1-15 once the draft is done. (1-14 in the case of those participating.) The top will receive 15 points, the bottom receiving 1.

Can't we just not rate the teams, to avoid giving our opponents points? It will be fair because everyone will have the opportunity to put themselves at #1, and will then have a reason to even bother rating the teams.

No they won't. You rank the other 14 teams. Not including yourself. Everyone must rate the teams in order for us to conclude. With every person eliminating only themselves, everyone will be eligible to receive the same amount of points. One with the most, wins.

No they won't. You rank the other 14 teams. Not including yourself. Everyone must rate the teams in order for us to conclude. With every person eliminating only themselves, everyone will be eligible to receive the same amount of points. One with the most, wins.

Okay, if everyone has to rate the teams then it's basically the same thing. I was just worried some people might try to get away with not rating thm.

In regards to a character like Green Lantern and Hal Jordan, can someone decide that they want to select Guy Gardner, another John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, and for some reason Killowog?

I'm confused now...are we rating who has the coolest team or who has the team that would work out the best before having a New Defenders level meltdown?

Honestly, that confused me. :/ Or maybe others are just putting way more thought into it then I am.

Just think of it in the vein of the Desert Island drafts, rather then wrestling/sports drafts where the teams were put to some sort of use after they were completed. Basically in the end you're gonna rank who wound up with the 'best collection of superheroes'. (In the same way someone's going to have the best set of movies in the movie draft, or the best collection of tv shows in the tv draft). So to answer your question more clearly, looks like we're going with the coolest team.

In regards to a character like Green Lantern and Hal Jordan, can someone decide that they want to select Guy Gardner, another John Stewart, Kyle Rayner, and for some reason Killowog?

Yes. Every one of them is a different person. Someone can also choose any member of the Sinestro Corps, the Teen Titans, the X-men, etc. Just so long as it's not an alternate universe version of someone who's already been selected.

Can you pick a character (or version of a character) who only existed in a one shot "What if?" Comic book?

Yes.

It doesn't have to be a character from a story that's cannon. As this would probably eliminate quite a few Classic/or classic versions of heroes. Which in the case of some, were maybe better before certain retcons.

Rowe's first pick:

wolverine.jpg

Wolverine

You cannot kill this man. He has suffered just about every injury in the book, whether it's being shot point blank in the face or exploding in a car bomb in Iraq. Wolverine is a martial arts master, possesses a unique healing ability, and has an adamantium skeleton which includes two pairs of razor sharp claws. When it comes to teamwork, you won't find a more loyal ally than Logan, who will sacrifice everything to save those he would call his friends.

Selecting on behalf of Nate:

The One and Only, Amazing Spider-man.

smmag002covbo7.jpg

During a science experiment dealing with radioactive isotopes, Peter was bitten by a spider bathed in the radiation. The bite gave Peter the proportional strength and agility of the spider. Peter was also able to cling to any surface and even developed a "spider sense" which warned him of danger

And with great power comes great responsibility, as well as one of Marvel's top heroes ever.

Sorry, couldn't do this from work:

Wonder_Woman_by_rjonesdesign.jpg

Wonder Woman

Warrior born, Diana of Themyscira is an excellent hand-to-hand combatant, endowed with superhuman reflexes and durability, flight, and super strength on a level that is said to rival Superman himself.

Alright, since my first pick wolverine got stolen, and I wasn't allowed to use the symbiote on The Punisher, we'll go with the symbiote itself.

sm_venom.jpg

"The creature is a sentient alien with a gooey, almost liquid-like form. It requires a host, usually human, to bond around for its survival. In return the Venom creature gives its host enhanced powers. In effect, when the Venom Symbiote bonds with a human to form a super-villain, that new dual-life form itself is also often called Venom. The symbiote, with or without a host, is an archenemy of Spider-Man, who was the first host it merged with before its evil motives were clear.The symbiote acts as an evil double of the host after it bonds with its host. After Spider-Man rejected it, the symbiote went on to merge with other hosts and so began its popular reign as the villain known as Venom."

After re-reading the rules, I'm kinda starting to regret choosing The Joker as my first pick. It'll be a team of a bunch of heroes Aaaaaaaand The Joker.

I lose already.

So...is The Punisher still available to be picked?

Why? He's a valid character. I like the idea of combining two of my favourites into one.

Eh, that is kind of confusing. (I wasn't expecting that). Just seems kind of cheap in a way, but I also did say you could do it.

I mean what his name even? Is it still The Punisher? But since it's Frank Castle, and not Eddie Brock under the mask, I'd say that eliminates Punisher from the draft, not Eddie Brock/Venom.

I lose already.

I don't see how so. I had villians in mind to pick as well.

But since it's Frank Castle, and not Eddie Brock under the mask, I'd say that eliminates Punisher from the draft, not Eddie Brock/Venom.

Fuck.

*rewrites list*

After re-reading the rules, I'm kinda starting to regret choosing The Joker as my first pick. It'll be a team of a bunch of heroes Aaaaaaaand The Joker.

I lose already.

So...is The Punisher still available to be picked?

I was considering the Joker with my first pick. It's a collection of the best heroes/villains and Joker is up there.

So here's a question then: Do we consider the Brock Venom and Gargan Venom as separate characters? I would vote no, as the personality of the symbiote is more dominant over either guy. But then where does that leave the Scorpion if someone were to take a flyer on him in the late rounds?

Overall, my preference would be to stay away from amalgamated characters. Just my opinion.

I'd vote that you can't pick the Venom symbiote more than once at all, since he's known to take different hosts... I just happened to pick him on the punisher. But, whatever.

Exslade, I was thinking he'd just be called Venom as The Punisher or something to that effect.

Edit: If it's going to make a fuss, I will change my pick to Eddie Brock as Venom.