TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foleyfanforever88

WWE/WCW Match Backwards Draft

Simple concept. It's a backwards draft. Pick the matches you don't ever want to see again. Every match you pick will be forced on the other participants. Serpentine style selection, 12 hour time limit, etc. First 5 people to reply are in. Just start by posting your first pick. We'll go 6 rounds.

Gert T

1. P.N. News & Beautiful Bobby Eaton v. Terry Taylor & Steve Austin/Scaffold Match/Great American Bash '91

2. Shawn Michaels v. Triple H/Hell In A Cell/Badd Blood '04

3. Rick Steiner v. Scott Steiner/Fall Brawl '98

CanadianChris

1. Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, Kevin Sullivan, Meng, The Barbarian, Z Gangsta and The Ultimate Solution/Doomsday Cage match/Uncensored 96

2. Undertaker vs. Triple H/Undisputed Championship/King of the Ring 2002

3. Al Snow vs. Big Boss Man/Kennel from Hell/Unforgiven '99

mellowcareful

1. Bret Hart vs. Shawn Michaels/Ironman Match/WWF Championship/Wrestlemania XII

2. "The Franchise" Shane Douglas vs. Tully Blanchard/ECW Championship/1-7-95

JHawk

1. Oz vs. Bill Kazmaier/Halloween Havoc 1991

2. Hollywood Hogan vs. Warrior/Halloween Havoc 1998

King Cucaracha

1. Bradshaw and Trish Stratus vs. Christopher Nowinski and Jackie Gayda/Raw 2002

2. Triple H vs. Scott Steiner/World Heavyweight Championship/Royal Rumble 2003

Well, I figured that A. It's different in a way from the rest of them, B. It's only 5 people and 6 rounds, and C. I don't think another one has been started in the past couple of weeks. If people don't want to do it, I don't care. But there are always people complaining about how they couldn't get into one of the drafts.

This is also off topic...but Al how was their never a baseball draft? That would have been far more fun than the other 4 sports that are doing one.

We actually ran the concept in 2005. There will be one, likely in the offseason as the others clear out and regular talk on the sport wanes.

Hey I am in, I like the concept because it is short and I will have to dig deep for some garbage gems.

I don't think the concept is overdone, mostly because it results in lively interaction.

With the 1st Pick in this Draft, I select:

P.N. News & Beautiful Bobby Eaton v. Terry Taylor & Steve Austin/Scaffold Match/Great American Bash '91

Just saw this last week, but this match has it all. A changed stipulation, the wrestlers not knowng when it is over. And WCW thinking it was a good idea to make the scaffold smaller.

Aw dammit, that's what I was going to pick. No matter, though, I thought of something better (worse?).

With the 2nd pick in the draft, I'll select:

uncen96b.gif

Doomsday Cage match: Hulk Hogan & Randy Savage vs. Ric Flair, Arn Anderson, Lex Luger, Kevin Sullivan, Meng, The Barbarian, Z Gangsta and The Ultimate Solution, Uncensored 96

Words cannot even describe this abomination. Easily the worst PPV main event of all time. And of course, Flair took the pin.

60-Minute Iron Man Match for the WWF Championship

Bret "Hitman" Hart © vs. Shawn Michaels

WrestleMania XII

Anaheim, CA

March 31, 1996

Let me start by saying that I am a huge Bret Hart fan, and a huge Shawn Michaels fan. But this match was both boring and disappointing. The original plan was to have both men trading falls before going into overtime, but management (or Michaels, depending on who is telling the story at the time) decided against the idea of the Heartbreak Kid "losing" several times en route to his first run as WWF Champion, so what we got, in turn, was an hour's worth of build to the only fall. The idea seemed really good on paper, but the execution was less than stellar. I do not want to sit through this ever again.

IronMan.jpg

Since I assume I can still get in on this...

200px-HH_91.JPG

Oz vs. Bill Kazmaier (Halloween Havoc 1991)

I've very quickly realised I must be some sort of wrestling masochist, because there's so many god-awful matches that I'd gladly watch again and again simply because they're god-awful. As in, so bad they're good.

This however was not.

Triple H vs. Scott Steiner

Royal Rumble 2003, World Championship

royalrumble2003scottsteaq3.jpg

It started off with people not caring and just went downhill. Steiner fell flat on his ass on a double underhook powerbomb and the crowd just turned on it like that. SOOO many belly to belly suplexes. Poor Trips gets bumped around by Steiner post-match after a lame ending, to the sound of nobody caring. The build-up was the pits too, with Triple H's 'stripped to his undies' homage to Naitch.

How they decided a rematch at No Way Out was a good idea is beyond me.

10/25/98: Hollywood Hogan vs. Warrior (Halloween Havoc)

halloween_warriorhogan.jpg

Shitty work with run-ins that no one wanted and a fireball that wouldn't light make a horrible waste of time. Leave it to WCW to flush a money semi-main event down the drain.

See, everything so far, with the exception of the Steiner-HHH match, is at least laughably bad, and thus, entertaining on some level. I could watch an Oz match. I could even watch that Doomsday clusterfuck. And that Hogan-Warrior match is packed unintentional comedy.

Moving on, my next selection, much like my first one, is notorious for having been a great idea that was stretched out beyond its capacity.

ECW Heavyweight Championship Match

"The Franchise" Shane Douglas vs. Tully Blanchard

Philadelphia, PA

January 7, 1995

Man, Paul Heyman's heart was definitely in the right place when he booked this long-winded contest that pitted the anti-Horseman Douglas against JCP alumnus Blanchard. Everything seemed to add up, except for the fact that Blanchard had not wrestled a full-time schedule in a half a decade. Winded early on, Blanchard had great difficulty carrying his own weight, and thus, after a long, unspectacular showing the decision was made to rule the contest a sixty-minute draw at the 45-minute mark. Ouch!

ecw2.jpg

5396257.jpg

Undisputed WWF Championship match: Undertaker vs. Triple H, King of the Ring 2002

I managed to find my short review of this match from a couple of years back in the forums:

"There was punching. And clotheslines. And some punching. And stalling. And restholds. Hey, did I mention the punching? And it went for TWENTY-FIVE FUCKING MINUTES."

5396257.jpg

Undisputed WWF Championship match: Undertaker vs. Triple H, King of the Ring 2002

I managed to find my short review of this match from a couple of years back in the forums:

"There was punching. And clotheslines. And some punching. And stalling. And restholds. Hey, did I mention the punching? And it went for TWENTY-FIVE FUCKING MINUTES."

FUCK!

I completely forgot about that one, and I was there live. Which is probably why I forgot about it.

Looks like Gert T is up with two picks.

Yes, one of two blessed main events the city of Columbus had to endure on a live PPV. The other is my 2nd round pick.

post-2806-1215003396.jpg

Shawn Michaels v. Triple H/Hell In A Cell/Badd Blood '04

Very appropriate that I found a picture of the two of them laying on the mat. This match went 50 minutes and a ridiculous amount of match time had both men laying on the mat. Maybe not the worst match ever, but what we got with UT-Michaels and Foley-HHH this was disappointing and a waste of my 80 dollar ticket.

I am not sure whether it counts or not, but it pissed me off, and lasted a long time.

With my third pick, I select:

Rick Steiner v. Scott Steiner/Fall Brawl '98

Segment must have lasted 15-20 minutes with no match, and them doing the same shit they had been doing with fake injuries. NO ONE was buying the garbage.

Without the expert commentary from Kevin Kelly and Mick Foley, this match is utter garbage:

Kennel From Hell match: Al Snow vs. Big Boss Man, Unforgiven '99

Zing!

Yes, that match was so bad that it wasn't even funny. And that entire Steiner vs. Steiner program was utter garbage.