TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianGuitarist

NHL Draft

No worries.

Barring any kind of "save our playoffs" petition from all of you, I'll be scrapping the playoffs. This is due to the slow moving voting, and my pending cross-country move.

I still need picks from EMHE, 909, Mfer, Treble, Smartly, and Goblin.

By the way, on my draft chart, instead of reversing the points, I gave one point for a first-place pick, two points for second, etc. Thus, the team with the fewest points will be the winner.

If EMHE doesn't have his picks in by Midnight tomorrow, he'll receive 13 points, and every other team will receive one on his behalf.

My Write Up:

My team has a mixed of hard nose players and extremely talented players. My 1st line is very interesting, you have 3 super talented players. Mario as a leader will be the "quarterback" of my team setting up two extremely talented goal scorers in Jarome Iginla and Alexander Mogilny for goal oppurtunitys, but will take a shot if he sees an opening in defense. My 2nd line is as good as most 1st lines in this draft... You have one of the most underrated players in Vincent Damphousse who was one of the top centres for years in the NHL, you have one of the greatest American players to ever play the game in Joe Mullen, and of course you have Mahovlich whom is one of the greatest Maple Leafs of all time. My 3rd and 4th lines consists of role players whom were at one point All-Stars in their career.

My defense while isn't the best in the draft, is still really good. You have Larry Robinson who is one of the greatest defensemen to ever play the game, and in my opinion the greatest Habs defensemen of all time which says alot. Playing alongside with him is Gary Suter who at the prime of his career was among the best defensemen in the game, and he was playing during a time with Al Macinnis, Paul Coffey, Ray Bourque, etc. He was a huge part of the Flames team in the 80's which is an extremely overlooked team, because they were playing in the time when the Oilers were dominating. The 2nd defensemen line up has Dion Phanuef who is one of the best up and coming players in the game right now, he makes game changing hits and can score goals with his blazing slapshot. Playing with him is a former Norris trophy winner in Randy Carlyle who was a steal for him, he is often overlooked. My next line up has a man who problay has the hardest slap shot in the history of the game, and one of the rising stars in the NHL today.

My goaltenders will both share starts because they are both extremely talented. Belfour in his prime was a top 3 goaltender in the whole NHL, and Barrasso is one of the best players not in the Hall of Fame right now.

My coach Ken Hitchcock is a great hockey mind, and has been able to deal with a stacked team before(Dallas Stars) even taking them to a cup. Overall I feel my team is among the best in this draft, so vote for me!

I pm'ed him to have his picks in by noon. He does not. I'll tally everything up, and, provided my packing and such gets done on time, will post the results before I fly home.

Bump to remind everyone that we're still not done.

Opening night is October 9. Can we finish this before then? STAY TUNED TO FIND OUT!

Sorry about the delay. I flew back to Niagara Saturday night, and have been at home for literally ten minutes until now. I'm on my folks computer right now, as my laptop is getting fixed up; thus, I have no access to the draft spreadsheet.

Off the top of my head:

*The Great Ones were the winner. This may not have been the case had EMHE's picks been submitted, and not given my 1/13 point penalty.

*I had actually done the opposite for points: A first-place vote earned one point, a last-place earned 13.

*The Great Ones, The Calgary Silly Nannies, and The Excitable Boys all earned first-place votes. (I think there's a few others, but again, this is off the top of my head).

*The Calgary Silly Nannies, Five for Fighting, and The Excitable Boys all earned last-place votes. Yes, two teams earned votes at both ends of the scale. I don't recall if there were others that were voted last.

*It was close between The Calgary Silly Nannies and Five For Fighting for last place. The penalty to EMHE may have given him the nod, but Joffrey Lupul was an extremely second-guessed pick.

Like I said, I'll try and put up the official results and some scuttlebutt if the spreadsheet survives its trip to the doctor's, but, at the very least (and for those of you keeping score at home, this was the same pic used for VX when he won my avatar contest last December):

post-6234-1218033789_thumb.jpg

Sweet. I knew once I got Lafleur and Shore in the second and third rounds that I had a shot at winning. I think they were the guys that dropped the most from where they should have been of anyone in the first four rounds.

I find it funny that this finished before the NBA draft. And what the hell was up with EHME posting a team description (when everyone else had already voted...) and then not voting?

These were my rankings. If I remember, the top four could have gone any way, and 5-10 could have as well:

1. Excitable Boys

2. Bobby and Bossy's Boys

3. Xtreme Dream Team

4. Gordie's Gang

5. Canadian Guitarists

6. Jamaican Vocations

7. Frozen Pond Scum

8. Five for Fighting

9. Northern Lights Five

10. Champs Are Here

11. Clorox Leetch

12. Dr. Coffey's 100% All Natural Good Time Family Hockey Solution

13. Calgary Silly Nannies

And what the hell was up with EHME

You just answered your own question. I'm surprised no one picked up on his team name, which I gave him, due to his indifference to submitting one. The London Silly Nannies were the team Peter Griffin played football for against Brady and the Patriots.

This finished before the NBA Draft? I've heard that's been a Gong Show, but I've never actually followed it.

These were mine. I'd give reasons, but I'd honestly have to look at the teams again.

1- The Great Ones.

2- Dr. Coffey's 100% All Natural Good Time Family Hockey Solution.

3- Gordie's Gang.

4- The Canadian Guitarists.

5- Northern Lights Five.

6- Jamaican Vocations.

7- The Champs Are Here.

8- Xtreme Dream Team.

9- Bobby and Bossy's Boys.

10- Calgary Silly Nannies.

11- Clorox Leetch.

12- Frozen Pond Scum.

13- Five For Fighting.

14th Place - TakerHart (130 points)

13th Place - EMHE (129 points)

12th Place - Gert (121 points)

11th Place - JJ (106 points)

T10th Place - Smartly/Goblin (103 points)

8th Place - MFer (100 points)

7th Place - Treble (90 points)

6th Place - Nskie (63 points)

5th Place - Angle (62 points)

4th Place - CG (61 points)

3rd Place - Max (54 points)

2nd Place - 909 (46 points)

1st Place - CC (26 points)

Scuttlebutt:

* CC received six first-place votes. Max received four, 909 recieved two, EMHE received one. (This does not factor in EMHE's default one-point vote).

* CC's lowest vote was fifth place, 909's was tenth. EMHE and Max each received a last-place vote. (One for Max, five for EMHE).

* Only three of CC's votes would not medal at the Olympics. He had two fourths and a fifth. (He also had two seconds).

* Apart from his first-place vote, EMHE also had a second and a seventh. Every other vote was double digits.

* CG had a range of 2-8.

* Angle had a range of 2-12.

* TakerHart had sixth last-place votes, and a twelfth. His highest vote was fourth place.

* 909, in addition to his first-place vote, had a range of 2-10, including five seconds.

* Gert's highest vote was 7. He did not have a last-place vote, but did have two 11's and four 12's.

* MFer had a range of 3-13. He had two 3rd-place votes.

* Nskie did not have a vote in double digits, nor anything higher than third, of which he was voted four times.

* Treble had a range of 5-11, including five 6th-place votes.

* Smartly's range was 5-12. He had three 5th-place votes, and three 11's.

* JJ had a range of 2-12. That 2 was one of only five single-digit votes.

* Goblin had a range of 4-12, both of which he had two.

* In addition to his four first-place votes, Max also had a 13. That was his only vote lower than eight, including a second and four 5's.

It's 'twelfth'.

Who the fuck voted for me finishing 13th? Holy shit.

I guess I'm just not seeing 909's team as a second place team. Goalies are too unpredictable and the defensive depth just isn't there. But I'll take my bronze, melt it down and bronze the keyboard I used to make the picks.

I was probably hurt by having limited hockey knowledge and maybe not selling my team as well. Still, I thought I collected enough talent to finish higher than 8th.

My forward group meshes perfectly, but I could've done better with my defense. I think Chara-Orr got voters excited. Me too. Wesley was super underrated though.

*The Great Ones were the winner. This may not have been the case had EMHE's picks been submitted, and not given my 1/13 point penalty.

So your saying I had a chance to win this?