TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Cran Da Maniac

Desert Island Draft, Comics Edition

Like I said in the Superhero Draft thread, I've been toying with the idea of a Comics draft, and Steviekick had a good idea to open it up to TPB's and specific runs on comics. What do you guys think, any interest or suggestions on how to run it? Also, first say 15-20 people that respond wanting in will get in.

Rules

1) Serpintine Draft Rules, meaning that we reverse the order each round.

2.) 12 Hour Time limit. If you have been skipped one round you will keep being skipped until you make your picks

3.) Draft will begin either @ 12 pm EST or whenever the first pick is made. The first person up will have 24 hours to make their pick to star the draft, then 12 hours for everybody afterwards.

4.) PM the Next Person in Line

5.) You can select either a specific issue, Trade Paperback, or a collection of issues that are in a storyarc. You will not be able to take any comics that may tangentally deal with the storyarc tho (IE if you take Infinite Crisis, you will only get the series, you will not get the hundreds of comics that

6.) I'm going to limit this to about 10 rounds, unless everybody wants to do more.

Order

1 Swarley

2 Vampiro69

3 Crandamaniac

4 LivingLegendGaryColeman

5 Starvenger

6 Steviekick

7 tbondrage99

Results

Swarley

1.) Sinestro Corps War (1)

2.) Infinite Crisis (14)

3.) Batman: Hush (15)

4.) Ion Saga' Part 1 (28)

5.) Titans/Young Justice: Graduation Day (29)

6.) 52 (42)

7.) Superman/Batman (43)

8.) Fables (54)

9.) Birds of Prey (55)

10.) The Boys (69)

Vampiro69

1.) Crisis on Infinite Earths (2)

2.) Batman: Year One (12)

3.) Kingdom Come (16)

4.) Identity Crisis (27)

5.) Green Lantern Rebirth (30)

6.) Formerly Known as the Justice League (41)

7.) Gotham Central (43)

8.) Superman for All Season (53)

9.) Flash: Return of Barry Allen (56)

10.) Death of Captain America (68)

Crandamaniac

1.) Watchmen (3)

2.) Fantastic Four Omnibus Vol 2 (11)

3.) Marvels (17)

4.) Captain America: Operation Rebirth (26)

5.) Daredevil Visionaries: Kevin Smith (31)

6.) 100 Bullets (40)

7.) Preacher (44)

8.) Avengers: Busiek/Perez (52)

9.) Earth X (57)

10.)X-Men: Age of Apocalypse (67)

LivingLegendGaryColeman

1.) Batman: The Killing Joke (4)

2.) Green Arrow: Quiver (13)

3.) V for Vendetta (18)

4.) ROBIN: A HERO REBORN (25)

5.) Ultimate Spider-man Vol 10: Hollywood (32)

6.) Gotham by Gaslight (39)

7.) DC: The New Frontier (45)

8.) Teen Titans :The Judas Contract (58)

9.) The Death of Superman (59)

10.) Cable and Deadpool (66)

Starvenger

1.) The Dark Knight Returns (5)

2.) All New All Different X-Men (Giant-Sized X-Men #1, X-Men 94-100.) (10)

3.) Daredevil: The Man Without Fear (19)

4.) Bone: Out from Boneville (24)

5.) Unity (33)

6.) X-Men: God Loves, Man Kills (37)

7.) Avengers/JLA (46)

8.) Supreme Power (51)

9.) Secret Invasion (60)

10.) Greg Rucka's Checkmate run (1-24) (65)

Steviekick

1.) Daredevil by Frank Miller and Klaus Janson Omnibus (6)

2.) Ultimates Vol 1 (9)

3.) Death: The High Cost of Living (20)

4.) Marvel Visionaries - Thor by Walt Simonson, v 1 (23)

5.) Fantastic Four, v1: Imaginauts (34)

6.) The Punisher: Born (38)

7.) Justice League International (47)

8.) X-Factor #71-89: Peter David's Run (50)

9.) Kick-Ass (61)

10.) Green Lantern #76-87 by Dennis O'Neil and Neal Adams (64)

tbondrage99

1.) Y: The Last Man vol 1 (7)

2.) Batman: The Long Halloween (8)

3.) Box Office Poison (21)

4.) Sin City: The Hard Goodbye (22)

5.) Usagi Yojimbo: Grasscutter (35)

6.) Amazing Spider-Man #229-230: Nothing Can Stop The Juggernaut (36)

7.) Wolverine by Claremont/Miller (48)

8.) Civil War (49)

9.) Green Lantern Emerald Dawn (62)

10.) 300 (63)

The big question is how to police it. In regards to comic runs and tpb's. Say if I take a TPB of Flash from the Geoff Johns era, does that exclude Geoff Johns entire run, or should other's be allowed to take the other TPB's from that run?

Like LL, since TPBs and issue numbers and stuff are somethign I never really pay attention too..I will probably suck at this draft >_>. And pick the most random of shit, that I've read lol.

but I'm down!

the issue number thing shouldn't be an issue with this draft, as we shouldn't pick specific issue numbers, unless there's a one shot story you like, but if you want say the Dark Phoenix Saga (X-Men 129-138) you could just pick that storyarc without wasting about 10 draft picks.

Hell yeah, this time I'm getting in on it as opposed to watching with envy on the sidelines because I didn't come to the site for a couple of weeks.

Actually, much apologies, I skipped over your name for some reason and didn't realize it. I made a mistake and will now commit hara-kari. for this action.

ferrellcaray1.jpg

That's sooo much, I could never participate in this draft.

So I don't know why I'm posting, besides to pimp my much simpler POKEMON DRAFT! in general chat. Everyone come pick pokemon with me!

I want to be clear on this - we're basically looking at a series of issues that are or could be considered for TPBs, Graphic Novels, etc? Meaning that something like the Cerebus phonebooks, Marvel HCs, Masterworks and those B&W bathroom readers (well, that's what I do with them, anyway) are off the table?

I think they should be, other wise if your taking the entire run of writer or artist then couldn't someone take the entire run of most Vertigo comics Sandman or Preacher, or how about Stan Lee & Jack Kirbys 101 issue run on The Fantastic Four or Bendis and Baglys run on Ultimate Spider-Man. I think that would all be to much so we should just limit it to particular storylines, and if you want the entire run of something like that then pick a storyline with each of your picks.

With the first pick in the draft, I select probably my favorite story of last year.

The Sinestro Corps War

381545122645sinestrocorot1.jpg

And as much as I liked the actual war, I think I enjoyed the ending most with the revealing of the 5 new corps, and 'The Blackest Night'. Just a great story all around.

Following his defeat in Green Lantern: Rebirth, the events of Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1 see the supervillain Sinestro retreat to the planet Qward in the Antimatter Universe. Here he amasses an army, the Sinestro Corps, that he selects based upon their ability to "inspire great fear". Each member is armed with a yellow power ring, mirroring the green ones of the Green Lantern Corps

With my first selection I take

crisis8.jpg

Crisis on Infinite Earths

This story changed the DC universe making it much more streamlined (at least for 20 years). You had the noble sacrifices of the Barry Allen Flash and Supergirl. It also introduced the DC universe to the Charlton universe (i.e the Question and Blue Beetle).

Any talk of COIE has to mention the incredible work that George Perez and Marv Wolfman put together to make this work.

Oh no theres debate about it.

I'm a sucker and I figured this will go fast giving current events:

Killingjoke.JPG

The plot revolves around a largely psychological battle between Batman and his longtime foe the Joker, who has escaped from Arkham Asylum. The Joker intends to drive Gotham City Police Commissioner James Gordon insane to prove that the most upstanding citizen is capable of going mad after having "one bad day." Along the way, the Joker has flashbacks to his early life, gradually explaining his possible origin.

So just to make sure here, since I'm the last to pick this round I start off the next round getting two picks in a row right?

So just to make sure here, since I'm the last to pick this round I start off the next round getting two picks in a row right?

Wording sort of confused me, but basically you're going to end this round with two picks. The second of which, is the first of the next round.

So going last, you're going to make two picks, and then it's whoever's next.