TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Slickster

Friday The 13th (2009)

ah christ, I forgot Bay was working on this one...I didn't see the TCM remakes, were those stupid?

Yes. Still, this is Friday the 13th. They've done all the can with they series, so a remake was inevitable, and the most logical next step for the series to go.

Do you know what would have been a better idea? Not bothering and leaving it be.

As most of you know, I hate remakes. And I hate remakes more when they're of films or franchises that I love. And as most of you also know, I'm a bit of a fan of the Friday the 13th franchise.

I don't like the look of the trailer, but I do like the look of Jason. It's kind of a dirtier version of his FvJ apperance.

But set between parts 2 and 3? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense as 3 kind of follows on straight from 3... sort of. Plus, Jason didn't get the hockey mask until mid way through Part 3 after he got it off the fat kid.

But set between parts 2 and 3? That doesn't make a whole lot of sense as 3 kind of follows on straight from 3... sort of. Plus, Jason didn't get the hockey mask until mid way through Part 3 after he got it off the fat kid.

I don't know why it said it was set between parts 2 and 3. I think it just made a mistake, since everywhere else says its a reboot, and kind of combines elements from the first 3 films.

So far, all of the photos and footage I've seen of this reminds me of the TCM remakes, which I dont think is a good thing. While I didn't mind the first TCM, that prequal/sequal they made was just stupid. Needless to say, I don't expect to be blown away by this remake at all, so sick of them doing these, especially Platinum Dunes particularly, who seem to have a knack to create a formula with all of these remakes that are so similar to the next in the look and execution of the remakes.

I actually would probably be more hopeful for it if someone, ANYONE, other than PD did this.

I just wish they would get off the remake train completely and just do another Freddy vs Jason and leave it at that. Have Wes Craven and Sean Cuttingham work together on the project and just have the same guys who wrote Freddy v. Jason do another solid script. And have Kane Hodder and Robert Englund duel it out, it aint rocket science. Give all the Freddy and Jason fanatics one last film to really put a final conclusion to both series of films, bring back old names from the past films, such as Tommy Jarvis and Alice, Nancy, etc, from the Elm Street films. Tie it all in and it would work, making a good majority of the fans of past films satisfied.

PD is also doing a Elm Street remake, which I'm sure will be some of the same shit they have churned out so far.

PD is also doing a Elm Street remake, which I'm sure will be some of the same shit they have churned out so far.

Don't even get me started on that...

And for those who need to kill time at work, here is a timeline detailing when the events of the franchise occurred.

Come on ya'll show some love for Part 3.....The Bikers, the hippies, Shelly....the techno-core F13th theme.......and the introduction of the hockey mask.

As for the remake, umm until I see some more I dunno. I might see it in theaters, but it seems like all these remakes/re-imaginings etc etc are basically the same movie over and over and they are just resurrecting the villian because they can take advantage of drawing in a younger audience who never got to see that villian on-screen as a child/teenager before.

I still don't know why some (luke-o) are so bent out of shape over this. Then again, I have seen some pretty bad post F13 slasher movies from the 80's ("Don't Go In The Woods" and "Honeymoon Horror" for example), so maybe the magic is gone for me.

because he turns in to a small child after being covered up in sewer water...also the fact that only about 1/4 of the movie actually takes place in Manhattan.

but it does feature this:

"Go on, take your best shot"

*Jason punches his head clean off*

Yeah, much cheaper to film on a freaking boat then a major US city.

Part 8 was just awful. Part 5 would have been good, except for the swerve that completely takes it out of the series. And 3 was bad because the 3D is just ugly.

9 was the worst

I don't think the swerve takes 5 out of the series. Tommy Jarvis was a major character to the series and this was a continuation of his story. If anything, I think Goes to Hell and X (and Freddy vs Jason, of course) can be considered as non-canon to the series. I almost consider movies like that to be more movie versions of DC Comic's Elsewords or Marvel Comic's What If?! series'.

I don't think the swerve takes 5 out of the series. Tommy Jarvis was a major character to the series and this was a continuation of his story. If anything, I think Goes to Hell and X (and Freddy vs Jason, of course) can be considered as non-canon to the series. I almost consider movies like that to be more movie versions of DC Comic's Elsewords or Marvel Comic's What If?! series'.

I think part 5 is retconned from the series. They obviously imply that Jarvis becomes the new Jason at the end, but due to horrible fan backlash, they pretended the movie never existed with part 6, because that movie is a follow up to part 4, and ignores all of the events in part 5. Jason Goes to Hell and Jason X are definitely not considered canon, since it wouldn't be logical at all to connect it to the previous movies. They are like Elseworlds tales.

Jason Goes to Hell was a dumb move by New Line. They get the rights to Jason, yet the first movie they do is a movie that Jason is hardly even in, and has one of the dumbest plots ever. I mean, I didn't like Jason X by any means, but it at least followed the old school formula of Jason stalking people and killing them.

The thing with JASON GOES TO HELL was New Line just wanted to plant the seed to a Freddy vs Jason film. If you follow the history of Jason, HELL basically went against the whole mythos of the Jason character and made him into some sort of demon from hell, when he was just a mongaloid (sp?). JASON X, as bad as it was, I enjoyed it a lot and the kills were really good. Plus, I love the look of Jason before he became uber-Jason. He just looked badass.

I still don't know why some (luke-o) are so bent out of shape over this.

Because I hate remakes. Plain and simple. It's fucking lazy.

And? Look, as much as people like to complain about lack of originality in remakes, let's not forget that the horror genre usually isn't known for originality. Complaining about a remake of Friday the 13 accomplishes nothing. Michael Bay is not going to change his mind and say "we can't remake this!" Besides, it's Friday the 13th. You are watching this to see Horny teens get killed off in gruesome but inventive ways. Let's not pretend It's not some untouchable classic. Hell (cheap plug coming in) you can read my latest blog entry (told ya it was a cheap plug) which explains why remaking Friday the 13th isn't the end of the world.

I see no problem in a Friday the 13th remake/reboot since yeah, the original movies aren't the greatest thing on Earth, but also because Jason hasn't had that definitive movie in his franchise. The first Halloween and Nightmare on Elm Street are regarded as great movies, yet the Friday the 13th movies get trashed, although the remake will too. I like the series, but I've always thought it was troubling that Jason wasn't the killer in the first one. The remake will at least fix that.

I don't think that the first needs to be fixed, though. It was a great slasher flick for when it was released.. and I really think it speaks to the development of Jason. How his mom was as much of a fuckwich as he was.. and she was killing all these people off all those years.. he sees her get her head cut off and he takes over her murderous rampage, but on a grander scale. I think the thing a lot of people forget about the first movie was that there was no sequel planned initially and it was just supposed to end like that.

Well I too enjoyed the first one for what it was, but I meant that the reboot would finally end confusion that many people have over the first movie not having Jason in it. I like the Friday the 13th series better as a whole than the Halloween series, since these movies actually do something different in each one. The Halloween series was just like watching the same movie all over again (except for 3 and 6, but those suck), and I've also found the Halloween sequels to take themselves way too seriously, and kind of come off unpleasant. Jason movies however are just fun.

I agree with those who consider New Line's movies to be "non-canon." I also ignore Part V (for reasons mentioned above) and Part VIII. My main problems with Part VIII are Jason's ability to teleport and the ending. I've heard some people say that Jason turning back into a child is supposed to be a hallucination, but that wouldn't make things any better.

I agree with those who consider New Line's movies to be "non-canon." I also ignore Part V (for reasons mentioned above) and Part VIII. My main problems with Part VIII are Jason's ability to teleport and the ending. I've heard some people say that Jason turning back into a child is supposed to be a hallucination, but that wouldn't make things any better.

Yeah there was no reasonable explanation how he came back to life after the ending of part 8, when he basically dissolved in the acid bath, and then back into a child. Made no sense at all, unless the plan was for part 8 to originally be the final Friday. I guess the assumption is that somehow Jason escaped New York and that was all a hallucination?

BTW, I dont get the flack Jason Goes to Hell gets........I've always really liked the film. It has some wild kills, and I liked that they played the mythology of the Jason character more into the film than a lot of previous efforts. I actually liked the fact that different people were taking Jason's form, at least it was different. Speaking of different though, I'm torn on Jason X......it still has alot of fun scenes and plays homage to the series a bit, but some of the stuff is so over the top, such as a "virtual Crystal Lake" for one. That script was being re-written on the spot constantly and then was shelved for a solid two plus years before it finally came out in theaters, no wonder why. Perhaps somewhat of a fitting end of Jason going by a timeline perspective, but I thought it could have been alot better.

And regardless if the original Friday the 13th is a "classic" or not, it really doesn't dignify doing a remake based off whatever this is supposed to be, the first three films roughly I guess. I don't think people are really clamoring, nor demanding such an action, and as I've said before, if anything I would think there would be more fanbase interest in a Freddy v. Jason sequel instead. What gets me about this remake is that it just follows that same mundane and semi-formulmatic way that Platinum Dunes do for these horror remakes, and its already old and dated after them doing such for only about 5-6 years or so. I don't want to go into a remake almost expecting how it will look, feel, and come across even before I see it. And this is what I'm getting here, it feels and looks too similar to TCM remakes and the like.

I liked Jason Goes to Hell. Nice change of pace from the others. You can only take so much of the same movie eight times in a row before you get worn out. My favorite part was where the dude devours Jason's heart. That was hilarious. Also when he kills the woman mid-sex in the tent. That's probably the most brutal kill in the whole series (it's only fully shown in the unrated version, however).

I think this movie can be good if they include some elements heretofore unseen in the series. First off, Jason should collect the severed heads and limbs of his victims and later in the movie use them as projectile weapons against his adversaries. Also, Jason should have a nude scene. I'm not asking to see his dick, although that would be fascinating! I just think some Jason ass would lighten the mood a little bit, perhaps in a shower scene. (Jason should shower by pouring animal blood on himself out of a watering pot.) And also, the film should answer the question everyone has on their mind: Does Jason shit? I guess not, because he doesn't really need to eat, being undead and all. He's survived a hell of a lot more than malnutrition! But if I were making the film, Jason would be seen taking a big fat dump on one of his dead victims. Yeah, that's the ticket. I'd save Jason's first sex scene for the sequel.

Yeah there was no reasonable explanation how he came back to life after the ending of part 8, when he basically dissolved in the acid bath, and then back into a child. Made no sense at all, unless the plan was for part 8 to originally be the final Friday. I guess the assumption is that somehow Jason escaped New York and that was all a hallucination?

From what I've read in the past at various places, an early version of the JGTH script contained an opening which would have cleared up the ending of Part VIII. I can't confirm that any of this shit is true, but here's how things supposedly go:

Jason gets washed away by the toxic waste. The image of Jason as a child is a hallucination by Rennie (the female lead in Part VIII). Rennie has several hallucinations of Jason as a child throughout the movie, making it a plausible theory.

JGTH opens with a shot of the hockey mask in the sewers. A gloved hand reaches down and picks it up. Jason, still steaming from the toxic waste, puts the mask on, only to have it mold to his face. Jason would then be shown walking out of the sewers, having been washed back near Crystal Lake.

And? Look, as much as people like to complain about lack of originality in remakes, let's not forget that the horror genre usually isn't known for originality. Complaining about a remake of Friday the 13 accomplishes nothing. Michael Bay is not going to change his mind and say "we can't remake this!" Besides, it's Friday the 13th. You are watching this to see Horny teens get killed off in gruesome but inventive ways. Let's not pretend It's not some untouchable classic. Hell (cheap plug coming in) you can read my latest blog entry (told ya it was a cheap plug) which explains why remaking Friday the 13th isn't the end of the world.

I'm not saying it's the end of the world that they're remaking a "classic".

My point is, is that instead of just making an 80's style slasher horror flick and sticking the "friday the 13th logo" on it, why not make a 80's style slasher flick with a new character? It's not difficult. Just look at Hatchet. Sure it wasn't the best film ever but I enjoyed it a lot more than reboots because there was some sense of orginality in there.

And I know Bay isn't going to stop doing it because some Internet nerds are moaning, because if every director or producer did that then nothing would get made.

I never thought the ending of part 8 was confusing at all. They show Jason dissolve in the toxic waste, and it was very obvious that him as a child was a hallucination. I think that movie was meant to be the last one since the slasher movie genre was going out of style by the late 80's, so thats why they had Jason dissolve in the toxic waste. New Line of course bought the rights to Jason and made Jason Goes to Hell, just for a quick buck, ignoring the previous series. I thought that movie sucked since having a Jason movie where he takes over people's bodies and then kills people is just beyond retarded. I did like the one scene where the guy melts in the house though, that was sick.

From what I've read in the past at various places, an early version of the JGTH script contained an opening which would have cleared up the ending of Part VIII. I can't confirm that any of this shit is true, but here's how things supposedly go:

Jason gets washed away by the toxic waste. The image of Jason as a child is a hallucination by Rennie (the female lead in Part VIII). Rennie has several hallucinations of Jason as a child throughout the movie, making it a plausible theory.

JGTH opens with a shot of the hockey mask in the sewers. A gloved hand reaches down and picks it up. Jason, still steaming from the toxic waste, puts the mask on, only to have it mold to his face. Jason would then be shown walking out of the sewers, having been washed back near Crystal Lake.

Now that I think about it, Jason's mask is kind of "molded" into his face in JGTH, so this makes sense. I always wondered if that was a nod to the ending of the previous film. I wonder why they decided to scrap the tie-in to part 8?

Part VIII doesn't so much suck for it's ending (which was bad), the film sucks because it's not what it claims to be. The film is called Jason takes Manhatten and he's only there for about 20 minutes and most of that is in a sewer. It could have been a great film if it wasn't for the budget cut.