Rangers (Luis Mendoza) at Red Sox (Jon Lester), 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPN

SATURDAY

Angels at Indians, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

Mariners at Twins, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

White Sox at A's, 3:55/12:55 PM, FOX

SUNDAY

Brewers at Dodgers, 4:00/1:00 PM, TBS

Phillies at Padres, 8:00/5:00, ESPN

That Sunday night game probably seemed like a real winner when the four-letter network originally picked it up.

The list as a whole is a pretty uninspiring collection, aside from the two Dodgers games.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Hey, don't knock the Reeder; it's fun to get success out of players that were unceremoniously dumped. Previously, we'd get Enrique Wilson and Matt Lawton because they sucked, and then they'd continue to suck. Lou also implicitly told the team to stop getting drunk off its fucking ass in Miami so that they actually win a game down there for the first time since 2005. (I suspect the loss to Jeff Karstens directly following the Milwaukee sweep was a "hangover game" in a figurative and literal sense.) I wonder if the Marlins have parlayed the sweet siren song of South Beach into a pretty strong home-field advantage over the years.

Fuck Reed Johnson. When John Gibbons got fired, he did an interview where the guy was asking a question about one player the Jays had let go and how much that might have made a difference. I figured he was going to ask about Frank Thomas, because that would make sense since the team's power numbers are awful, but no, it was Reed Johnson. A fucking platoon left fielder who no one would have even heard of if he didn't play for the Cubs.

I went to the Red Sox/White Sox game yesterday. First time at a major league game and I enjoyed it (except for the part where we lost. Bobby Jenks can fuck the fuck off and die like a fat fuck. Fucker...) WAY high up seats, but Im not gonna complain. It was a cool experience and I'll definitely do that more often when I have more money. Gotta mention two signs that just made my head explode. The first one had a White Sox logo on it and said "My Son is a BiSoxual".

...WHAT? The mom had her kid that looked to be 11 hold it too. I just sat there and just said what the fuck outloud. My friends agreed. Also, as we were leaving, some White Sox fans were holding up a sign that said "Help Cure Aids, Blow Up Wrigley". Czech explained the reasoning for this sign, but it's still fucking hilarious and out there. I had fun. Clay Buchholz needs to get it togther on the road though.

Guest Cal Moriarty

The Reds are pretty much one sorry-ass baseball outfit at this point and to do anything less than take 5 out of the remaining 6 with these guys will be an abject failure. The 2008 home stretch Reds: fueled by Bako power. Doesn't sound like the D-bags gave up much to get him, but then again, they're only getting him for 44 games, if I'm not mistaken, so why would they have to? Ned Colletti must've been asleep on the job w/r/t blocking intradivisional waiver claims.

The Mets blow another 9th inning lead, and when Schoeneweis gives up the lead I do believe we'll take over the major league lead in losses after leading after 8.

1 ER, 6 IP - Pedro Martinez

6 ER, 3 IP - Mets gasoline pourers

It's one thing to let the Phillies come back and beat you, but not the Pirates who have nothing to play for. I don't understand how Minaya has a job since the bullpen has been the achilles heel for two seasons at least and he's done NOTHING to improve it.

Wow. I'm amazed he cleared waivers.

He didn't clear waivers outright. He was claimed by the D'backs. Since waiver claims go by reverse record, the only teams that passed on him were Washington, SF, SD, Colorado, Pitt, Atlanta, Houston and LA. The only team with a legit reason to block would be LA, but given their outfield situation and reported cash flow issues, they probably didn't want to run the risk of Dunn getting dumped on them (however small that chance may have been).

Why wouldn't they just keep him and get 2 picks when he leaves?

They will save $4 million on salary and get 3 players in return (one of whom, Dallas Buck, is pretty good). I would assume that has far more value than two draft picks. I think we've gotten to the point that fans are seriously overvaluing the return on draft picks. The probability of one of those two picks being worth much is very slim.

what are the chances of Joe Mauer becoming available this off-season? I see his salary jumps to double figures and that's usually when the Twins seems to start shipping players out.

I guess it really is the Sox' birthright to have every good player.

Mauer would cost any team at least two of their best prospects. With the Twins bound for a new park and Mauer a local product, I doubt he leaves.

what are the chances of Joe Mauer becoming available this off-season? I see his salary jumps to double figures and that's usually when the Twins seems to start shipping players out.

0.0%

Al, I don't think that pot shot is justified anymore since a good portion of their roster right now is home grown. Ellsbury, Masterson, Lester, Youkilis, Pedroia, Lowrie, Papelbon, Buccholz. Not to mention anybody could have had David Ortiz at one time.

Al, I don't think that pot shot is justified anymore since a good portion of their roster right now is home grown. Ellsbury, Masterson, Lester, Youkilis, Pedroia, Lowrie, Papelbon, Buccholz. Not to mention anybody could have had David Ortiz at one time.

It's not who they have, it's the attitude that they have to be in the discussion for every single superstar on the market.

Guest Cal Moriarty

"Brian Giles doesn't want to make minimal contributions to a team where he'll be intensely scrutinized and unceremoniously dismissed? Wicked retahd!"

The larger market teams that are willing to spend alot of money will always be in every discussion as far as superstar players go. Red Sox, Dodgers, Mets, Angels, Yankees, Cubs, Tigers, and the White Sox are all gonna be the first teams brought up when it comes to expensive superstar caliber players because they're willing to dish out the cash. Its just the nature of the beast.

"Brian Giles doesn't want to make minimal contributions to a team where he'll be intensely scrutinized and unceremoniously dismissed? Wicked retahd!"

Once again, that wasn't the issue. It was down to this, a chance for the championship (however a continually diminishing one) or continuing his dream to be a major league star for his hometown team, the San Diego Padres. Yes we have guys like Ken Griffey Jr. who chose the former, but clearly Brian Giles chose the latter. Nothing wrong with that.

Once again, that wasn't the issue. It was down to this, a chance for the championship (however a continually diminishing one) or continuing his dream to be a major league star for his hometown team, the San Diego Padres. Yes we have guys like Ken Griffey Jr. who chose the former, but clearly Brian Giles chose the latter. Nothing wrong with that.

Brian Giles chose 19 remaining home games for a last place team that is openly trying to dump him and his contract over playing for a title contender (and getting $6 million for his troubles). I understand the draw of family and familiarity, but I also have to openly question the drive and commitment of a player who prefers anonymity over a last chance at glory. The fact that it was Boston has little to do with this position (although calling him a "fucker" last week was all Sox homerism on my part).

Guest Cal Moriarty

That was my point. It was just the most recent example of the fallacy that everyone wants to play for a Boston sports team.

I also have to openly question the drive and commitment of a player who prefers anonymity over a last chance at glory

Then you're lucky not to have him! Besides, how gratifying is it to win a world championship as a quarter-season bench player with a team or fanbase you have no real connection to? Maybe he's just too proud to go along for the ride like that. I salute Brian Giles for not abandoning the sinking ship that is the San Diego Padres. I heard payroll is being halved this offseason due to John Moores's impending divorce. I guess the ship will abandon him then.

Guest Vitamin X

I agree with Czech wholeheartedly. I have much less respect for players who chase championships and glory than I do for guys that stick with a team and its fans through thick and thin. It's one of the big reasons why Todd Helton is one of my favorite players in baseball, and one of the primary reasons why Brett Favre is much less respected in my eyes now than Marino and Elway.

And for christ's sake, let's not piss and moan over cheech's usage of the word 'fucker'. Heaven forbid there's swearing in the sports folder! Come on, now. If we can be pissy about CE, we can be pissy about sports, which is naturally impassioned discussion as well.

And for christ's sake, let's not piss and moan over cheech's usage of the word 'fucker'. Heaven forbid there's swearing in the sports folder! Come on, now. If we can be pissy about CE, we can be pissy about sports, which is naturally impassioned discussion as well.

I won't quibble about the language, but CE is a wasteland of idiots.

How many times have two overall #1 draft picks pitched against one another? It is happening tonight...in Lehigh Valley. (Bryan Bullington vs. Kris Benson)

I agree with Czech wholeheartedly. I have much less respect for players who chase championships and glory than I do for guys that stick with a team and its fans through thick and thin. It's one of the big reasons why Todd Helton is one of my favorite players in baseball, and one of the primary reasons why Brett Favre is much less respected in my eyes now than Marino and Elway.

I sort of agree with this position, but not with regards to Brian Giles. Sure, San Diego may be his hometown team, but the dude has spent time with Cleveland, Pittsburgh and San Diego. It's not like he's a lifer who's going to be with the team until the bitter end. He's probably going to end up being a free agent at the end of the year anyways (depending on how ownership decides to handle the team option for '09). Besides, the team was trying to dump him. I don't see how you could fault the guy for going after a title when his team is willing to put him on the first plane out of town.

Guest Cal Moriarty

Because it would be an empty achievement. I said that already. We harbor nothing but disdain for bandwagon fans. Why not bandwagon players?