TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Tzar Lysergic

Gene Upshaw dead at 63

Wow... Also was unaware he was sick and sad to see him go (Although I didn't think much of him as the head of the NFLPA).

"Gene learned he was sick just this past Sunday and he died with his family at his side." :(

RIP Gene Upshaw...my prayers go to his family.

As for his role as the president of the NFLPA...he did a great deal for the league. No matter what people thought of him or what they were hoping to get by ousting him at the end, he realized that in the long run it was in the best interests of the union to work with the owners, not against them. That made the NFL the top league and has made football the number one sport in the United States. I point to you the practically non-existent NHL as an example of what happens when it all goes wrong.

Guest WhackingCockDick

Yes, working with the owners has been a great boon for...owners. It doesn't benefit the players a lot when they don't have guaranteed contracts, or when older players have no pensions and have to depend on Mike Ditka's fraudulent fundraising just to hope to pay their medical bills. Marvin Miller, now there's a cocksucker who worked on behalf of labor.