TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 8/28 - 9/1

I demand more Pac-10 games in that afternoon slot, ABC. I know I'm going to get saddled with weeks of Clemson/Virginia Tech/Boston College/Florida State instead. Either that or a Big XII game. Woof, don't get me started on those.

I'm wondering if the "reverse mirror" thing that's supposed to get a bit more play this year will help out on that. Probably not, though. I bet it just means we east-coasters will sometimes get the ACC *and* Big Ten 3:30 games.

It'll be the same set up this year as it is only Big Ten and ACC home games that have the reverse mirror deal as the Pac-10 and Big XII contracts with ESPN do not allow it. The whole reverse mirror thing was solely created as part of the ESPN/Big Ten deal as the Big Ten must have a nationally televised game in the 3:30/12:30 slot.

Quick FCS Spotlight for tomorrow's games.

#18 Eastern Illinois @ Central Michigan

#20 Eastern Kentucky @ Cincinnati

#19 South Dakota State @ Iowa State (Airing on FCS Central)

Also of note is Jacksonville State @ Georgia Tech (Airing on ESPN 360) and Charleston Southern @ Miami (Airing on ESPN 360).

Hofstra @ Connecticut is airing on SNY.

The only game featuring a Top 15 team is Austin Peay @ #2 North Dakota State.

Due to that fact that GamePlan is seemingly unavailable online here in Canada, I'll be missing some good ESPN-covered games. Does anyone know a way to get a ESPN stream over the internet?

There is ESPN360 but I'm guessing it's not available in Canada.

Here's ESABCPN coverage map for the 8:00/5:00 PM games.

8-pm-coverage-maps-august-3.jpg

Not going to bother with the 3:30/12:30 games as whichever game that is on ABC for you, the other game will be on ESPN2.

First day of the season and I already hate the new "game clock runs after out of bounds" rule. Incredibly lame. 25 seconds just went off the clock after a catch and run out of bounds in the South Carolina/NC State game. I don't know how we're not going to lose even more plays than we did with the failed rules from the 2006 season.

ESPN also appears to be forgoing the starting line-ups in favor of just running positions and names in a bar across the top of the screen. Retarded.

New rules are at least better than the 2006 ones, although I think two minutes in the half is way too late to stop running the clock on out of bounds plays.

And yes not giving the full starting line ups is incredibly lame. I know Fox started doing it last year with their NFL coverage and I'm trying to figure out what is so bad about taking 20 seconds just to let us know who is starting the game? Are people changing the channel during this?

Agree on them being better than 2006's, at least in principle; I actually like the idea of the 40-second play clock because it eliminates the inconsistency of determining when exactly the ball's spotted ready for play. The out of bounds rule is just dumb, though.

Some surprising scores right now in I-AA land.

SE Missouri St. is losing to SW Baptist 21-12 with 7:00 left in the 3rd Quarter.

Drake is in a battle with Upper Iowa despite leading 17-13 with 6:22 left in the 3rd.

There is ESPN360 but I'm guessing it's not available in Canada.

Here's ESABCPN coverage map for the 8:00/5:00 PM games.

8-pm-coverage-maps-august-3.jpg

Not going to bother with the 3:30/12:30 games as whichever game that is on ABC for you, the other game will be on ESPN2.

Sweet. My cable company picks up the Cleveland and Youngstown ABC affiliates so it looks like I'll get both games.

Notable FCS (I-AA) Results...

Southeast Missouri State b. Southwest Baptist 35-28 in OT.

#22 Central Arkansas b. Henderson State 38-14.

#2 North Dakota State b. Austin Peay 41-6.

That QB fella named Rhett Bomar led Sam Houston State to a 58-14 romping of East Central. Curious to see how improved Rhett is this year over last.

Ryan Perilloux struggled (to put it kindly) as Jacksonville State still lost to Georgia Tech 41-14.

- Numbers: 22/37 for 136 yards with 2 TD vs. 2 INT. 18 Carries for 67 Yards.

Early FCS Offensive Spotlight

RB Kyle Minett (South Dakota State): 22 carries for 111 yards and 1 TD. 5 catches for 15 yards vs. Iowa State.

QB Bodie Reeder (Eastern Illinois): 19/28 for 201 yards and 1 TD vs. 0 INT vs. Central Michigan.

QB Nick Mertens (North Dakota State): 16/18 for 304 yards and 3 TD vs. 1 INT vs. Austin Peay.

LSU's season-opener against Appalachian State on Saturday has been moved to 11 a.m. ET because of the approach of Tropical Storm Gustav.

"Public safety concerns override game-day concerns," said Charles Zewe, chief spokesman for the LSU System, according to the New Orleans Times-Picayune.

The defending BCS national champion Tigers had been scheduled to face Appalachian State at 4 p.m. ET.

The school said that there is a possibility of a Saturday night evacuation, which would have enormous traffic implications if LSU stayed with a 4 p.m. ET kickoff.

Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal already has declared a state of emergency to lay the groundwork for federal assistance, and New Orleans mayor Ray Nagin said he would order a mandatory evacuation of the city if forecasters predict a Category 3 strike -- or possibly even a Category 2 -- within 72 hours.

All pregame activities already have been canceled, including those at the Pete Maravich Assembly Center, which is being readied as a possible evacuation site.

Guest WhackingCockDick

Is Nike thrusting more strange progressive glittery unitards on college teams again? Poor Virginia Tech.

It's already college football time? Wow. The next three months of athletic conference dick-measuring really snuck up on me.

As an Alabama fan, I'm technically not supposed to like LSU but I hope they destroy Appalachian State just to prove once again that the SEC is superior to the Big Ten. Well, I guess it really doesn't prove anything in the long run, but it's something I can point to when comparing my favorite conference to my most hated.

Haha, what does any of this shit even mean?

That the SEC's dick will crush us all?

When the various preseason Top 25's came out, The Fighting Wannstache's stuck out like a sore thumb and they still do as they are tied with Bowling Green at the half.

Edit: Damn Sportsline. Okay they're up 17-14.

Ohio State's hopes of getting embarrassed in a third straight MNC game might have just taken a big hit as Beanie Wells had to be carried off the field with a foot or ankle injury and is now being carted to the locker room.

If I'm not mistaken, Wells has had some ankle troubles earlier in his career, so this could be real trouble for Ohio State.

As for Florida, it's encouraging to see that despite Tebow not doing a whole lot, the Gators are up by 28 at the half.

Sadly, App. State got slaughtered but Armanti Edwards was really solid given the pass rush he faced (and his receivers were of zero help. I counted at least 6-7 drops total and some would've been key first downs).