TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Hunter's Torn Quad

Discussion: WWE Scramblemania~!

Something in the just-posted Observer regarding the Smackdown Scramble:

The working plan, which could change, is for the winner to defend the title later that night against the Undertaker, with the idea being Vickie Guerrero gave him the title shot as a peace offering.

With that in mind, I can see MVP getting a last second pinfall via his running kick on Hunter as he pedigrees someone else. Undertaker destroys MVP and takes the title and that can open up something between MVP and Triple H.

It's an interesting idea. Thing is, should MVP's first run with the belt be a lame hour long reign before jobbing out to UT? It might almost make more sense for MVP to get the title and somehow sneak past UT via DQ or whatever, then you have UT and HHH both going after MVP for the title.

It's an interesting idea. Thing is, should MVP's first run with the belt be a lame hour long reign before jobbing out to UT? It might almost make more sense for MVP to get the title and somehow sneak past UT via DQ or whatever, then you have UT and HHH both going after MVP for the title.

Doing a DQ finish might be a better route. We've see WWE is willing to try new things out and while MVP still struggles to command heat like other heels, he's capable of carrying the spot. The show would still be centered around 'Taker and HHH just as Raw was with Cena, Batista, Shawn and Jericho. If they are doing the stipulation with Undertaker, they'd be foolish to do HHH-Taker with absolutely no hype or build.

If they are going to have a fall guy who has the title for just literally a few moments before he jobs it to Taker, I would go for Benjamin in that role instead of MVP. Given the SD taping results

(HHH over Shelton)

that would make much more sense in that context.

Yeah I don't see HHH retaining if that UT stip actually happens. Since Shelton has the US title I don't see him remotely getting the world title too, so I'd go with MVP. Though a part of me would find it hysterical if Kendrick lucked into the title (someone hits a finisher on him, he falls on a guy and gets a pin) and UT waxed him in the same night.

I don't see them putting it on Benjamin either since it would vacate the US title.

My guess is TBK or MVP. Both could use the rub and the latter could actually carry it a bit if they decide to go for a DQ finish.

I'm guessing that they won't do Hardy unless they want to give him a bit of a run, because giving it to him and taking it off so quickly would piss off a lot of people that have waited a long time for him to get the gold.

I don't see them putting it on Benjamin either since it would vacate the US title.

My guess is TBK or MVP. Both could use the rub and the latter could actually carry it a bit if they decide to go for a DQ finish.

I'm guessing that they won't do Hardy unless they want to give him a bit of a run, because giving it to him and taking it off so quickly would piss off a lot of people that have waited a long time for him to get the gold.

Jeff could get a DQ finish to extend his reign and it's really the best time to pull the trigger on Jeff since they don't have the roadblock of WM ahead and if Jeff manages to screw up again, he's gone and they'll have choices to put the title on right away. I don't think they could trust Jeff beyond a two month period.

This is culled from CTDWAT but I thought, hey, this is a big experiment that WWE is trying and it probably warrants some discussion, especially with the zany of list of participants. Do you like this match idea? What do or do you not like about this concept? Is it being overused? Does Michael Cole stating 100 times "the champion can't possibly win" mean no one loses? Discuss!

They might as well give it to Jeff Hardy since him winning the title has been a longtime coming although I would be SHOCKED if they had the balls to make THE Brian Kendrick WWE Champion, even if it lasted just for an hour or two.

I'm just excited that after going to three previous PPVs and more Raws/SmackDowns than I can count, I've finally got a real chance of seeing a world title change hands. Biggest (and only) title change I've ever witnessed to this point was Chyna beating Jeff Jarrett in a Housekeeping Match in 1999.

I'm tempted to say that Kendrick actually has a real shot of coming out of the scramble as champion, only, of course, to lose it to Taker later. I mean, seriously, what real reason did they put him in there for instead of Big Show or Khali? There has to be some purpose, unless they legitimately do want to elevate him to this level.

If I was able to order the PPV, I would since I really am excited to see the Scrambles (and HBK/Jericho, too). The whole concept and the fact that the SD match features some new faces in the main event scene is very refreshing.

I’m in favor of the company making alternate directions from the typical approach to their so-called lesser pay per view offerings. It’s quite different not just with the concept itself but those involved in the match-ups. I’m not sure if this unique concept will attract more potential viewers then a conventional rigid pay per view would have but it’s certainly much more intriguing.

There will be three separate versions of this match on the show and all three provide spectacular differences that will allow for each of them to present themselves in a different manner. First, the likely opening act that will serve to illustrate the concept, the ECW Championship Scramble.

Obviously the match is short on star power but it’s an intriguing mixture. It’s a slight breath of fresh air to see Miz being showcased in this considerable spotlight instead of his partner and I don’t believe the location was a factor. Miz, to me is a better fit for this match as he’s a much more skilled heel and takes a better beating in addition to his stronger skills of facial ability and selling techniques. I believe Matt will begin the match with Henry. I think we’ll see a hot potato booked match here intentionally designed to demonstrate the importance of time but I don’t think Matt will be involved with the hot potato routine. I think the finish will see a hot crowd behind Matt as he tries to knock down Henry in the final minute and succeeds. At first, I considered the idea of Matt winning but not by manner of a pin-fall over Henry but someone else in order to continue the feud but with roles reversed. Matt’s a much better chaser like most faces are, so I wouldn’t expect a long tenure for Matt and the ECW Championship.

The next installment is a fascinating medley of workers that are all talented and this will probably be the most entertaining version. The rumored speculation of the Undertaker title shot on that night really does throw a curveball into the equation. It was seemingly a given that Triple H was walking away with the victory since the perception is that everyone else involved is well beneath Hunter’s level. If it was considered a mistake at the time to do Cena-Batista with minimal hype at Summer Slam, what would the reaction be for HHH-Taker with absolutely zero hype or build?

The early expectation is that of Triple H hitting a pedigree as the clock nears the end only to eat a running kick from MVP whom would make the cover for the win (similar to that of WM). On one hand, this allows for ‘Taker to get the title without having to do the HHH match right away or it’s a great opportunity to give yet another emerging superstar the chance to run with the ball. It also gives MVP new material.

If they do the finish with MVP stealing the final pin-fall from Hunter, I would hope and trust that MVP would score a DQ finish against Undertaker. It’s important to point out that while it might be a result of a injury rash on Smackdown (Kennedy and Umaga, namely), it’s good sign to see guys such as Benjamin and TBK get a spot, even if they have no chance whatsoever. If it weren’t for my hesitation to believe in him, I’d almost wager that Jeff would be a stronger possibility to get a title reign out of this match but that distrust in Hardy is an albatross he’ll carry for awhile, perhaps for the remainder of his career.

Finally, the biggest match of the three scrambles by terms of size and star value will be contested over the WHC. The belief is seemingly split down the middle that this is the golden opportunity for WWE to truly cement Punk as a top dog in the company by defeating 4 former world champions in one match or the excuse to pull the title from Punk and onto the apparently more dependable, Batista.

It’s one of the preeminent debates swirling around the fan-base of professional wrestling. What is more important to WWE right now, having an established and proven commodity in Batista to carry things in the wake of Cena’s injury or keep chugging the Punk train along in hopes to have a bankable star for the future to come. Fittingly, the match only revolves around those two. Despite the annual Kane push being in progress, it’s hard to believe Kane will come out with the title. Mysterio with his collection of injuries can’t shoulder the load as champion. JBL certainly isn’t getting another run with the title, at least for now.

It’s down to Punk and Batista and I believe on this night at the least, it’ll belong to Punk.

I'm tempted to say that Kendrick actually has a real shot of coming out of the scramble as champion, only, of course, to lose it to Taker later. I mean, seriously, what real reason did they put him in there for instead of Big Show or Khali? There has to be some purpose, unless they legitimately do want to elevate him to this level.

I used the same logic when I predicted Virgil would win the WWF Championship over Bret Hart on SuperStars in late 1992.

Triple H vs MMA Undertaker would kick so much fucking ass it would be indescribable, but yes, WWE would be foolish to throw that one out there with no hype. Needless to say, if they plan to hotshot the title to Undertaker, he is going to look goofy as hell with the spinner belt (HHH looks silly enough). It would certainly be interesting to know THE Brian Kendrick would forever be a former WWE champion. I wonder what poor Paul London things of what has become of his former partner?

Yeah enough of the spinner belt. It's the WWE title and now is away from Cena....so let's have a real belt, please.

Of the guys defending at the PPV I think Punk has to get the win most. HHH can lose without really jobbing and MVP with the belt opens up feuds with HHH and UT, not to mention Jeff. It's a solid idea. Henry can afford to lose the ECW belt in such a match and then get ultra pissed and destroy everyone on TV following it. But Punk? He needs to figure out a way to win this match.

Yeah enough of the spinner belt. It's the WWE title and now is away from Cena....so let's have a real belt, please.

Of the guys defending at the PPV I think Punk has to get the win most. HHH can lose without really jobbing and MVP with the belt opens up feuds with HHH and UT, not to mention Jeff. It's a solid idea. Henry can afford to lose the ECW belt in such a match and then get ultra pissed and destroy everyone on TV following it. But Punk? He needs to figure out a way to win this match.

I meant to include this in my earlier post but I believe in order to truly cement Punk as a top dog, the title can't change hands at all during the match. Let Punk survive 4 former world champions in one night. The other matches will probably be loaded with hot shot falls. I believe the drama would be great if Punk went Wire to Wire.

I meant to include this in my earlier post but I believe in order to truly cement Punk as a top dog, the title can't change hands at all during the match. Let Punk survive 4 former world champions in one night. The other matches will probably be loaded with hot shot falls. I believe the drama would be great if Punk went Wire to Wire.

Yes, great drama overcoming injured opponents. Just so we can be beat over the head once again how lucky and advantageous Punk was.

Yes, great drama overcoming injured opponents. Just so we can be beat over the head once again how lucky and advantageous Punk was.

No. The idea would be that the other four keep knocking Punk down but he never gets pinned or lets anyone take that title away from him for a single second. If he ended up winning in the final seconds, that'd come off more of a fluke then a wire to wire victory would because they would do the typical finish with that. Punk would also be harboring injuries as he suffers from severe rib damage during every single match.

No. The idea would be that the other four keep knocking Punk down but he never gets pinned or lets anyone take that title away from him for a single second. If he ended up winning in the final seconds, that'd come off more of a fluke then a wire to wire victory would because they would do the typical finish with that.

I know what the idea is. I'm telling you, that's how THEY will portray such a situation. It won't be that Punk was able to overcome four former world champions in a gutsy performance to hold on to the title. It'd be that Punk beat guys who were either pummeling each other with chairs not too long prior, out of shape or was missing (presumed to be held hostage/whatever the hell happened to Rey). Remember, it wasn't that Punk had the sense to beat JBL in the Raw match, it was JBL beating himself. You can spot the story they are trying to tell here with Punk, and it is nothing like what you're saying.

I'm not a Punk hater by any means (hell I'm into his reign, even though it's Jericho who's been the MVP of the show as of late), but I just hate how he's being booked and I don't see it ending any time soon, but I'd love to eat crow on that point.

At first, I figured this was going to be WWE's way of taking the title off CM Punk while HHH retained, but if that Undertaker stipulation is there, I'll still be shocked if Punk retains (seeing how all of his opponents are former world champions while HHH's have never won the big one yet).

If a Superstar scores a pinfall or submission on any other Superstar in the match, he is declared the "interim" champion for match purposes (and is not officially recognized as champion in the title history). He holds that designation until another Superstar scores a subsequent pinfall or submission on any other Superstar.

Thank god for that.

Has WWE said what happens regarding DQs and countouts during this match? I'm guessing not.

But for the sake of argument, would a DQ get a wrestler thrown out of the match or is there theoretically nothing to stop a champ laying out everyone with repeated chair shots for 20 mins and retaining?

Multi-man matches seem to be No-DQ by default (though sometimes they make a big deal out of announcing a triple threat to be no DQ). I do recall a DQ in a Rock/HHH/X-Pac match though.

Probably best not to consider that possibility, though I could totally see them not saying a word about it at all and then making it a cheap out. In fact, I now see the ECW scramble ending with Matt Hardy wining a fall by DQ, thinking he's the champion when 20 minutes is up, then having Tony Chimmel announce "STILL ECW champion... Heel Wrestler!" (I don't think Henry will retain).

But for the sake of argument, would a DQ get a wrestler thrown out of the match or is there theoretically nothing to stop a champ laying out everyone with repeated chair shots for 20 mins and retaining?

You make a good point, but in all fairness there really isn't anything to stop champs from doing that in any title match outside of the no DQ matches.

Yes, that's true. I'm just making the common mistake of thinking about WWE matches in too much detail, I expect.

I assume they'll forget countouts anyway, as there will inevitably be lengthy brawling around the ring by some competitors once all 5 wrestlers are entered.