TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"

Really surprised that this is getting a Nationwide release in the UK. I honestly thought it would slip under the radar. The Oscar Buzz must have caught the attention of someone to get it out and about.

Just watched it.

Pretty good flick.

My only request would have been maybe a scene or two of Randy visiting old friends at a big time show or something, to give some perspective on how "small-time" Randy has actually become.

As a wrestling fan, I am assuming at his peak Randy was headlining shows in sold out arenas ala WWF-type shows, but we never really know for sure how big time he ever was.

Non-wrestling fans watching the movie, might get a better understanding of just how big the mighty has fallen, if we got a flashback or something.

Just watched it.

Pretty good flick.

My only request would have been maybe a scene or two of Randy visiting old friends at a big time show or something, to give some perspective on how "small-time" Randy has actually become.

As a wrestling fan, I am assuming at his peak Randy was headlining shows in sold out arenas ala WWF-type shows, but we never really know for sure how big time he ever was.

Non-wrestling fans watching the movie, might get a better understanding of just how big the mighty has fallen, if we got a flashback or something.

You kind of get a small idea of this by the flyers from during the opening credits.

While I do not have a tendency to talk to myself, I did find myself having a chuckle to myself with the things that came to mind.

I do like this film, although i've only watched a download of it, i'm going to see it on the big screen in January.

I, too, am shocked it's gotten a nationwide release.

The Sun gave it good coverage last week.

There was a pamphlet that said that his match with the Ayatollah was the match that "made Wrestlefest 3"

Like Wrestlemania 3?

There was a pamphlet that said that his match with the Ayatollah was the match that "made Wrestlefest 3"

Like Wrestlemania 3?

Well yeah, wrestling fans will pick up on these little details, my question was about non-wrestling fans. I mean I guess "Wrestlemania" as a brand name could be significant, but I wouldn't want people(non-wrestling fans) getting confused because the "big rematch" takes place in front of a few hundred people.

I think the movie is less about whether or not you are a fan of wrestling.. it's about being a fan of movies/storytelling.. and those people will easily pick up on how big Randy was before his fall from grace. I mean, if someone can't get at least that from the opening montage of flyers then there's something not working upstairs. ;)

Yeah but look at Terry Funk on the other hand. Sure, he had his fair share of bloody matches in the '70s and '80s but I'm sure no one back then could have imagined the crazy matches he would take part in 15-20 years later.

Or Ric Flair going all hardcore in 2006, falling off ladders and rolling around in thumbtacks. Or the various New Japan veterans who did exploding barbwire deathmatches with Onita. It's not a common thing for an old star to do today's bloody style, but it does happen sometimes.

True, but Ram wasn't the Nature Boy caliber of wrestler. I think he was supposed to be more along the lines of Luger but with the popularity of a Hulk Hogan. But yeah, I echo the Terry Funk example. That guy started out as pure wrestler, went into a brawler, and then totally "hardcore" - I mean, flaming chairs and flaming branding irons anyone?

Yeah, that's what I meant by with the popularity of a Hogan part. That said, it's not a stretch to see former huge stars do hardcore stuff. It happened all the time in WCW, ECW and currently in WWE. *shrug*

Saw this last night. thought it was very very good. Mickey Rourke pretty much went straight for the "I can't imagine anyone else in this role" zone, he was phenomenal. It's funny though, following the 'smark' stuff for the past 10 years or so, how true to life this movie is. Lex Luger, Jake the Snake, and Hogan were the most obvious inspirations but I'm sure there were more.

Style-wise, I envisioned someone similar to Ricky Morton.

Yeah, with the high flying moves and stuff. Or maybe, due to his size, actually more of a Macho Man Randy Savage.

Saw this. Don't know how I feel about the ending or what to make of it, but it was awesome besides that.

I really liked the ending. It was ambiguis (sp?), but that's what made it good. Basically saying,

if he didn't die after this movie, he was going to die in the ring somewhere down the line, very soon