TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dubq

Aronofsky's "The Wrestler"

If it weren't for my shitty schedule and the stupid hype surrounding this I'd have hit up TIFF and peeped it where it got really good reviews. I'm seeing a Thai movie tonight, if it's worth a mention I'll make a thread.

Haven't heard anything about this, but it could be interesting. That article kind of lost me when it said that this movie would be mentioned in the same breath as Raging Bull. There's hyperbole and then there's hyperbole.

I've been following this movie for a while. It was intially supposed to star Nicholas Cage, but he dropped out.

It's been getting rave reviews from every critic I've read and I'm excited that it found a distributor.

Plus, Necro is in it.

I've been following this movie for a while. It was intially supposed to star Nicholas Cage, but he dropped out.

It's been getting rave reviews from every critic I've read and I'm excited that it found a distributor.

Plus, Necro is in it.

Cage attended a ROH show for research, didn't he? What was the official reasoning for leaving the film? I'm glad he did because it appears Rourke was perfect for this role and even though Cage has proven in the past that he can act, I never saw him fitting the role of a Professional Wrestler.

It's quite surreal that Necro Butcher and Ernest "The Cat" Miller are involved in a movie that's getting serious oscar buzz.

Cage attended Glory By Honor in New York last year. Wikipedia says reasons unexplained.

I remember when I heard it had Mickey Rourke, Necro and Ernest Miller and read the plot, I thought the whole thing was some weird joke by Aranofsky. But he's going to get an Oscar nod out of this, that's crazy.

SOMEBODY CALL HIS MAMMA, THE CAT IS IN AN OSCAR BUZZ MOVIE!

Rourke getting an Oscar nod would be amazing, Ernest "The Cat" Miller getting one would be the greatest moment in Oscars history.

I'm quite looking forward to seeing this. It's wild that a movie about pro wrestling could end up being involved in the Oscar race. Could it be the best wrestling movie since Night and the City (Widmark version)?

The Night and the City distinction isn't necessary, since the De Niro version was about boxing, not wrestling. And this probably WILL be the best wrestling movie since that. Hell, I'm even open to the possibility of it being better.

Another thing about Night and The City is I wouldn't necessarily call it a wrestling film. Maybe it's because it's too good to get lumped in with every other film about wrestling but I've always thought of it as a film noir with wrestling as a vocal plot point. Now it appears that with this one, there's no doubt over whether or not it's a wrestling film. I've been waiting for someone to make a film like this for years and you can't really do much better casting than Mickey Rourke in the lead.

On the Wrestling Classics board, The Blue Meanie (who has a small part in this) said that Rourke's character is loosely based on Jake Roberts in Beyond The Mat

Yeah Kamala I only made the distinction to avoid confusion with the De Niro remake, which was about boxing. And it's very true that Night and the City is way more than a "wrestling movie" since it's an ultra bleak film noir that happens to have its main character attempting to promote wrestling. Widmark could have been promoting boxing, a racetrack, whatever.

The movie is interesting also because there's no sign of kayfabe from what I've read. Rourke blades himself, discusses finishes, etc, etc. There's not even a hint of "It may be real!" which I think is a new step for wrestling based movies that aren't documentaries.

So I doubt WWE will be working at advertising this. That and the whole "The life of a wrestler really fucking sucks" message.

The movie is interesting also because there's no sign of kayfabe from what I've read. Rourke blades himself, discusses finishes, etc, etc.

Awesome! I've always wanted a movie that goes into these kinds of things.

ROURKE BLADED! FOR REAL!

From imdb.com:

Rourke Slashed Himself For Fight Film

Mickey Rourke spilled blood in his latest movie role as a wrestler - by deliberately cutting himself with a blade during a fight scene.

The Angel Heart star taped a razor blade to his wrist and sliced his face as the cameras rolled, to make his part in upcoming film The Wrestler more realistic.

His co-star Wass Stevens tells the New York Daily News that Rourke took the drastic action after hearing how real-life fighters sometimes faked injury - to the delight of fans watching.

Wass says, "So Mickey taped a blade to his forearm, and when the time was right, sliced his forehead."

From IMDB:

Frank Langella and Mickey Rourke will wrestle it out for next year's Best Actor Oscar, while Frost/Nixon, Milk and The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button are musts for Best Film nominations, according to Academy Awards experts.

Revered movie awards watchers at GoldDerby.com have teamed up with a panel of top U.S. film critics for the first Oscars prediction list of the year.

The team agrees Harvey Milk biopic Milk and Brad Pitt's new movie Button will compete for the Best Film prize with the movie adaptation of hit play Frost/Nixon, while Rourke and Langella have emerged as the critics' favourites for Best Actor for The Wrestler and Frost/Nixon respectively.

All of the critics' other forecasts are split.

In the Best Picture race, Slumdog Millionaire is also a favourite of the expert panel, while Dev Patel (Slumdog Millionaire), Cate Blanchett (The Curious Case of Benjamin Button), Michael Sheen (Frost/Nixon) and Michelle Williams (Wendy and Lucy) all garner at least one vote in respective Best Actor and Best Actress categories.

The Oscar nominations will be announced on 22 January.

A movie co-starring Ernest fucking Miller is a potential Oscar winner. Insane.

This is one of the oscar contenders i'm most looking forward to this year..(the other being the incredible looking benjamin button, i think it might have best picture locked up)...it was described as rocky for the wrestling genre in some article i read, but i think it could end up being much more than that...mickey rourke seems like an excellent fit for this film..

From PWI:

Here's a link to a very cool story (at least for a Boss mark like me) where Mickey Rourke talked about writing a letter to his old friend Bruce Springsteen, asking him to write the theme song for the movie "The Wrestler". The Boss did it for free.

This movie looks so great. The release day can't come soon enough.

Yes yes yes yes...This and Frost/Nixon I have a feeling will battle for my favorite film of the year

So far my favorite films of 2008 have been The Dark Knight, In Bruges, Forgetting Sarah Marshall, Iron Man, Let the Right One In, and Wall-E. I don't think it'll be too hard for The Wrestler to shoot near the top of my list. Lots of other solid flicks are coming out over the next month though, so we'll see.

While I'm on it, if you haven't seen In Bruges yet, go check it out. It's a fucking great surprise of a film this year.