TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bob_barron

Weekend Box Office Report

Boll gets his money from German investors using a law that says if you fund German productions you get a tax writeoff though I believe the law has been changed.

Also, the Dakota Fanning rape movie got (well) raped at the box office.

I will post my predictions later in the day.

Barron Predicts the Box Office:

1) Eagle Eye- 43.4

2) Nights at Rodanthe 14.6

3) Miracle at St. Anna 9.2

4) Lakeview Terrace 8.4

5) Burn After Reading 6.6

6) Igor 6.0

7) My Best Friend's Girl 4.0

8) Righteous Kill 3.6

9) Tyler Perry 3.3

10) The Women 2.8

Fantasymoguls-

FINAL PREDICTIONS FOR THE WEEKEND OF SEPTEMBER 26

1. NEW – Eagle Eye (Dreamworks/Paramount) – $28M

2. NEW – Nights in Rodanthe (Warner Bros) - $12.9M

3. Lakeview Terrace (Sony) - $6.75M

4. NEW – The Miracle at St. Anna (Disney) - $5.8M

5. Burn After Reading (Focus) - $5.7M

6. Tyler Perry’s The Family That Preys (Lionsgate) - $3.8M

7. Righteous Kill (Overture) - $3.7M

8. My Best Friend’s Girl (Lionsgate) - $3.5M

9. Igor (MGM) - $3.1M

10. The Women (Picturehouse) - $3M

It does seem like a lot. After I saw the fantasymoguls prediction, I was like: Oh wow this is wrong.

(I do my predictions, then read FM)

Shia is just so hot right now, they're hyping up Spielberg in the ads, the movie is timely and relateable and it just looks like a big "event" movie. There's been no reason to go to the movies since Tropic Thunder, and I think this one can pull people back in.

Top 5 September openings:

Sweet Home Alabama 35 mil

Rush Hour 33 mil

The Exorcism of Emily Rose 30 mil (really moviegoers? really)

Jackass 2 29 mil

Flightplan 24 mil

Top 5 September openings:

Sweet Home Alabama 35 mil

Rush Hour 33 mil

The Exorcism of Emily Rose 30 mil (really moviegoers? really)

Jackass 2 29 mil

Flightplan 24 mil

Of all the movies on that list, THAT is the one you decide to take issue with??

Maybe because it was basically made to look like a new version of the Exorcist and no one really knew going in that it was actually a big ass courtroom trial movie instead?

Flightplan was a nightmare. My god was that a bad movie.

Well, I'm sure movie goers thought Emily Rose was going to be a straight up horror flick, not some court drama flick with horror elements mixed in. The trailers were a tad misleading, if I recall.

I saw Sweet Home Alabama on a bus ride back from Quebec City and I nearly walked out. One of those movies that I felt ripped off by even though I had low expectations in the first place and didn't spend any money on it.

And while I'm on the subject, why do they show the most mediocre movies on bus rides? As if I needed to make the experience even less pleasurable. Ah well, Greyhound doesn't even show movies period so I guess it's not too ba.

I remember when we were in Mexico, the bus showed Who's the Man. It was awesome.

Sweet Home Alabama is terrible. I wanted her to end up with Dr. McDreamy anyway, not Josh Lucas. Oh, spoiler alert.

Looks like I'm way off on my Eagle Eye prediction-

boxofficeguru-

1) Eagle Eye- 30 mil

2) Nights in Rodanthe- 12 mil

3) Lakeview Terrace- 8 mil

4) Burn After Reading- 6.5

5) Miracle in St. Anna- 6 mil

My Best Friend's Girl- 3.5

I only watched Sweet Home once, but I thought it was odd that McDreamy got the shaft when he didn't even really do anything that would want the viewer to see him get the shaft. Sure, he ends up with another chick (I think, can't remember), but it's not like he was portrayed as this villian that the audience would want Reese to get away from or anything.

Hey Bob, looking ahead, what are your predictions for HSM3?

I don't want to predict that far ahead, but HSM 3 is going to have a monster opening weekend. They're even going to start screening it Thursday afternoon b/c of the demand.

The October record of 48 mil (Scary Movie 3) will most certainly fall, I think it can reach 60 mil

Guest Smues

My wife actually tried to sell me on that Emily Rose movie because it was a courtroom trial movie and not a straight horror flick. I still said no. An episode of Law & Order: The Movie! didn't really sound worth $8.50 to me.

And I agree Sweet Home Alabama was awful. So the really nice understanding guy that you love love love isn't right for you because your ex-but not quite ex-husband is a dick and lives in a quant hick town? Huh?

But at least I understand it making that much money. Emiley Rose and Jackass stump me. Flightplan looked awful too, but again I understand why it would make some cash.

Oh come Smues, look at the stupid pop culture of this country and tell me how you can be stumped that Jackass did so well? We're a country that loves dumb shit, for some odd reason.

Jackass is hilarious, I don't see how anyone can hate on that.

Flightplan is terrible, but I don't think anyone knew how terrible until the movie came out. The crew quarters line kills me everytime

I am amused by Jackass as long as they keep it within some realm of feasibility. Some of the ultra sickening shit in #2 made me never want to watch that ever again even though it has plenty of funny parts as well.

I'm glad to see others here loathe Sweet Home Alabama as much as I did. When I saw it I kept waiting for that moment where Dempsey would reveal himself to be a rich douche while Lucas would show some signs of decency. Who in their right mind would choose Mr. Cracker Redneck over a cool rich guy whose mom was the mayor of NYC?

Come to think of it, Josh Lucas just sucks in general. How about his lame douchebag heel performance in The Hulk?

I was going try to refute the "Josh Lucas is a terrible actor" statement but pointing out his role in Boogie Nights as the guy who dupes Dirk and Reed into robbing the drug dealer but then I remembered that guy was played by Thomas Jane. Josh Lucas had a similar part in Wonderland, the real life story that the robbery in Boogie Nights was based on.

I always confuse those two for some reason. I've got to remember. Thomas Jane played himself on Arrested Development and was The Punisher while Josh Lucas is a cleaned up, poor man's Matthew McConaughey.

I always confuse those two for some reason. I've got to remember. Thomas Jane played himself on Arrested Development and was The Punisher while Josh Lucas is a cleaned up, poor man's Matthew McConaughey.

for me it used to be Thomas Jane, Josh Lucas and Aaron Eckhart...I think there's was one other guy in that mix but I can't recall.

Flightplan was a nightmare. My god was that a bad movie.

the only saving grace was getting lucky after taking a girl to see it.

And yeah, I don't buy Shia selling the movie himself. He lucked into being the guy in the Transformers movie, no one saw the movie for him. Luckly it has an alright looking story and it's out at a very weak time so he'll get credited with a big chunk of the boxoffice take.

Yeah, the ladies love him. I haven't seen him play a different character yet so I really don't get what people are seeing in him. His "performance" in Indy 4 was the exact same one he did for Disturbia and Transformers. And from watching the previews, he's doing the exact same thing again. Still, it'll clean up but I'm honestly hoping it crashes and burns.

I'm actually looking forward to only like three movies right now: Saw 5, Max Payne (I'm sure it'll suck but yeah) and The Express

Movie I'll be forced to see: High School Musical 3...god help me. I guess the new generations "Grease" finally hits theaters and I'm stuck going cause my girl wants to see it. Oh well, least it'll have some of age eye candy in it.