TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 9/22-9/30

I just realized that TBS has the Divisional Series' and the ALCS this year. NO BUCK AND MCCARVER UNTIL THE WORLD SERIES!! WOO!

They're not doing the NLCS?

I think PK means that Buck and McCarver won't be calling any Red Sox games until the World Series.

As a side note in between all the playoff talk, the Pirates fired their pitching coach and first base coach the other day. As I heard someone mock on XM, "Surely this will be the move that turns them around."

As a side note in between all the playoff talk, the Pirates fired their pitching coach and first base coach the other day. As I heard someone mock on XM, "Surely this will be the move that turns them around."

Considering the utter failure of any of the young Pirate pitchers to develop, I think you do need to start looking at the coaching staff.

The Pirates need to revamp their defense. Replace the double play combination, particularly at second base. Move Nate McLouth off of center field, bring up Andrew McCutchen. Fielders failing to make plays put the pitchers on edge, a big reason for the Pirates leading the league in walks this season.

I've never been a big Twins fan but I am definitely rooting for them tonight. I don't like the White Sox, I don't want the White Sox in the playoffs, and I don't think they deserve to be in the playoffs. Add in the astonishing fact that the Twins won the season series 10-8 and yet have to play this in Chicago. That said, if the Twins had simply beaten the Royals over the weekend this wouldn't be happening.

As far as the Angels go, I said it on here before and I'll repeat it. They went 100-62 this year, but a quick look at baseball-reference.com shows that their Pythagorean W-L was only 88-74. That's a startling difference. In fact if you believe in that stuff the Angels are the weakest of the 4 AL playoff teams, with even the supposedly mediocre Twins and White Sox having a Pythagorean W-L of 89-73.

The Angels did smoke the Red Sox this year 8/9 times. That said, 6 of those wins were during the Red Sox swoon in July at the height of Manny screwing around.

Cliff Lee and Brad Lidge win Comeback Player of the Year awards.

NEW YORK -- Pitchers Cliff Lee of the Cleveland Indians and Brad Lidge of the Philadelphia Phillies were honored Tuesday as baseball's Comeback Players of the Year.

Lee went 22-3 with an American League-leading 2.54 ERA. The previous season, he was 5-8 with a 6.29 ERA and was demoted to the minor leagues.

"I've never seen a season like that," Indians manager Eric Wedge said. "From start to finish he was incredible. There were real reasons for it. He worked hard phyically to get back."

Lidge was a perfect 41-for-41 in save opportunities as the Phillies' closer. In 2007, he converted just 19 of 27 for the Houston Astros.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?i...e=ESPNHeadlines

Add in the astonishing fact that the Twins won the season series 10-8 and yet have to play this in Chicago.

Yeah, even as a Sox fan, I don't understand that. I'm happy about it, but I don't understand it.

It's always a coin flip. They do them for every potential tiebreaker that could happen, about three weeks before the season ends. That's so the venues know in advance if they might be booked for the day after the season or not.

Oh. I didn't know they had even done a coin flip. And if there was a coin flip, why would it matter who was leading the season series at the time?

Because theoretically, say there was a 8-7 lead for the White Sox in the H2H matchup, with three left. Suppose Twins took 2 out of 3 as opposed to the actual full sweep, it'd be tied, 9-9. What do you do in this instance? The coin flip basically ensures a result either way. It sucks that it has to be enforced now that the Twins won the season series, but this is a fairly logical thing for them to have done at the time.

The ironic thing is I notice most of the people in general that are complaining about where this game is played are Twins fans... are you guys that scared of the Cell, where Twins were 2-7? Fact is, if you can't win the game wherever it's played, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs to begin with.

The ironic thing is I notice most of the people in general that are complaining about where this game is played are Twins fans... are you guys that scared of the Cell, where Twins were 2-7? Fact is, if you can't win the game wherever it's played, you don't deserve to be in the playoffs to begin with.

That's not the best comment to make after we just got swept at the Metrodome.

I can't recall a season in recent memory where so many pitchers went on three days' rest late in the season. Brett Myers, Jamie Moyer, Oliver Perez, Johan Santana, C.C. Sabathia, Javier Vazquez, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buehrle and now John Danks have done it this month.

Actually yes it is. I'd welcome the Sox going to Minnesota today had the coin favored them. I wouldn't be sitting here crying about having to play on the road.

I'm glad you feel that way, and I wouldn't be crying either. But the timing of the statement is pretty bad considering, had the Sox not lost all 3 games in Minnesota last week, they'd be the champs now and wouldn't be playing in this game.

It's also kind of hypocritical since you pointed out that the Twins are 2-7 at U.S. Cellular this season, but the Sox are 1-8 at the Metrodome.

That being said, Danks is on fire so far.

I can't recall a season in recent memory where so many pitchers went on three days' rest late in the season. Brett Myers, Jamie Moyer, Oliver Perez, Johan Santana, C.C. Sabathia, Javier Vazquez, Gavin Floyd, Mark Buehrle and now John Danks have done it this month.

If anything, it reveals the real lack of rotation depth amongst many of the playoff teams.

I'm confused by these TBS playoff promos. Did Bon Jovi win the Wild Card or something?

I kind of like that song

Edited by KingPK