TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 9/22-9/30

Okay, miserable is a harsh word. But in terms of expectations and recent history, the Yankees had a very tough year. Talking to the Yankees fans I know you'd think that they lost 100 games this season.

Yeah, I was about to say. Sign me up for that 'miserable' season anytime.

Hasn't that been the story for the Bluejays this whole decade?

also, Jim Rome did a fairly humorous bit running down all the things that were happening in the world the last time the Brewers made the playoffs

I don't even think either of our resident Brewers fans were alive at that point

And for the money they spent, you don't want to miss the playoffs. I don't think it's the 89 wins that is miserable, it's finishing 3rd in the division.

The problem with this is that probably 4 of the top 5 teams in the AL play in the East. Really, I'd take the top 4 teams in the AL East over any team in baseball except for the Angels and Cubs (and maybe the Phillies). No one's going to call the season the White Sox or Twins had 'miserable', but they'll finish with worse records than the Yankees (are barely better than Toronto).

And for the money they spent, you don't want to miss the playoffs. I don't think it's the 89 wins that is miserable, it's finishing 3rd in the division.

The problem with this is that probably 4 of the top 5 teams in the AL play in the East. Really, I'd take the top 4 teams in the AL East over any team in baseball except for the Angels and Cubs (and maybe the Phillies). No one's going to call the season the White Sox or Twins had 'miserable', but they'll finish with worse records than the Yankees (are barely better than Toronto).

The Yankees are 21-19 against Central opponents. Hardly the domination you think. I'd rate Chicago, Minnesota, Cleveland and even Detroit comparable to Yankees and Blue Jays, even if the records don't show that. Boston and Tampa though? Miles ahead of the Central. Same for Angels.

Baseball Prospectus had some big fancy study they did about a week ago that showed that four of the top seven teams in MLB resided in the AL East. So Treble is right on the money with his assessment.

Really? I'd like to see that. If that's true, then sorry for your damn luck, guys.

Baseball Prospectus had some big fancy study they did about a week ago that showed that four of the top seven teams in MLB resided in the AL East. So Treble is right on the money with his assessment.

Really? I'd like to see that. If that's true, then sorry for your damn luck, guys.

I'll see if I can find it, but it was subscription only. Joe Sheehan summarized the findings on his segment with Espnnews. It had something to do with performance, strength of schedule and all that jazz. I don't know if it was overly convincing, but I don't think it's a stretch at all to call those teams some of the best in baseball. They are probably the four best in the American League.

How are Detroit and Cleveland comparable to New York and Toronto, but the Red Sox and Rays miles ahead of New York and Toronto?

I'm speaking talent wise, not performance wise. But holy hell, I didn't realize Detroit was below KC. I might have to retract that statement a bit.

also, Jim Rome did a fairly humorous bit running down all the things that were happening in the world the last time the Brewers made the playoffs

I was born the year after.

How are Detroit and Cleveland comparable to New York and Toronto, but the Red Sox and Rays miles ahead of New York and Toronto?

I'm speaking talent wise, not performance wise. But holy hell, I didn't realize Detroit was below KC. I might have to retract that statement a bit.

I think you have less of an argument talent wise.

Yeah, Detroit's horrible. Not sure how you missed that. They had a worse record than the A's fer chrissakes.

Detroit's not even that talented. Cabrera, Granderson and Ordonez are good, but the pitching sucks and the defense is even worse. Not a lot to be excited about there.

Looking at the standings, is it a stretch to say that Cleveland threw in the towel too early this season? They missed the playoffs by seven games. Could CC, Blake and Byrd have bridged that gap had they stuck around? I'm inclined to say no, but then again I still think they had the best team in the division.

Lest we also forget they were also the sexy preseason pick among many baseball aficionados... of course, the sexiness wore off a fair bit after they got hammered by KC in their opening series

Lest we also forget they were also the sexy preseason pick among many baseball aficionados... of course, the sexiness wore off a fair bit after they got hammered by KC in their opening series

Ah yes, the old "they acquired the most name players so they'll be the best" routine (see also: the 2008 Mariners). I didn't think they would be this bad, but anyone could see that a team starting Cabrera, Renteria and Guillen in the infield was going to have a tough time.

I continue to be baffled by analysts who fail to account for 1. defense and 2. the law of diminishing marginal returns.

Guest Smues

But did anyone really think the 2008 Mariners were going to win? Detroit was the hot team everyone was picking, but it seemed like with Seattle most everyone realized they over achieved last year and were going to crash hard this year.

Ah yes, the old "they acquired the most name players so they'll be the best" routine (see also: the 2008 Mariners).

Different sport, I know, but the 2000 Washington Redskins set the standard for that routine

Don Orscillo and Harold Reynolds are the team for the AL Central/Rays matchup. I'm actually kind of interested to see how those guys mesh in the booth. Don should at least have some good insight on the Rays. And Dennis Eckersley is going to be a studio analyst which is a major positive since he's one of the best out there.

I was born the year after.

I was actually 2 years old at the time. Obviously, I don't remember anything about that season.

In all fairness the Twins did just go down to Tampe a few weeks ago and took 2/4 including getting into the Tampa bullpen late one of them nights and its the playoffs, as corny as it sounds anything can happen. Who put the Rockies on the run they went on last year?