TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
EVIL~! alkeiper

This Week In Baseball: 9/22-9/30

Guest C*Z*E*C*H

Man, the Cubs had a much better chance of beating the Mets than they do beating the new and improved Dodgers. What a shitty team. This chokejob is even more pathetic than last year's.

Guest Vitamin X
My internet at the house went south, so I've been offline the last few days. No idea when that will come back on.

I'm heading to Philadelphia for today's game. Once again Jamie Moyer is the man who can clinch things. It may be an absolute disaster at the sports complex though. Flyers play at one, Temple at two and the Phillies at four. Of course this could have been avoided had the Phillies game started at seven. Thanks Fox!

Hey aren't you the one always bitching about how when games start too late and you gotta wake up early in the morning, all that? Come on, you got what you wished for.

BALTIMORE–The Blue Jays are preparing to offer A.J. Burnett a new, improved four-year deal in order to persuade him to remain with the club.

The new contract would add two years and $30 million (all figures U.S.) to Burnett's existing contract, which still has two years to run. The proposed package, which has not yet been presented to Burnett's representatives, would total $54 million over four years.

Right now, Burnett is in the third year of a five-year, $55 million contract he signed in 2005. He is owed $12 million in each of the next two years. The new contract would bump his salary in 2011-12 to $15 million per year.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/507488

I figured they would try and do something like this. It's probably below market value, and I'm worried that we'll end up with the 2006-07 version of Burnett, though.

If the Mets win out, they'll at least force a one game playoff. The Cubs won't end the season on a 4 game losing streak, the Brewers will lose at least once.

Guest Smues

To get Rays post season tickets you have to register for a chance to get them online, and they did a drawing for games 1 and 2 of the ALDS, and now game 5 since Tampa clinched the division, and they'll do drawings for the ALCS if they make it there. I signed up and didn't get selected, but I signed up the wife and she got selected for game 5 tickets, so in the event Tampa vs. Sox/Twins goes 5 (and it's an evening game) I'll get to experience the worst stadium in the league and in the post season! (If I can remember to get up Monday morning when the tickets go on sale. 9est, yuck. )

I have a question but not sure where to put it. I'm thinking of getting the baseball package for Comcast next season, as well as hockey for this season. Are the games in HD? All? Some? None? If none of them are, it might not be worth it since my standard definition is pretty crappy. Thanks in advance.

BALTIMORE–The Blue Jays are preparing to offer A.J. Burnett a new, improved four-year deal in order to persuade him to remain with the club.

The new contract would add two years and $30 million (all figures U.S.) to Burnett's existing contract, which still has two years to run. The proposed package, which has not yet been presented to Burnett's representatives, would total $54 million over four years.

Right now, Burnett is in the third year of a five-year, $55 million contract he signed in 2005. He is owed $12 million in each of the next two years. The new contract would bump his salary in 2011-12 to $15 million per year.

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/Baseball/article/507488

I figured they would try and do something like this. It's probably below market value, and I'm worried that we'll end up with the 2006-07 version of Burnett, though.

Can't see him going for that unless he really loves Toronto and wants to stay there. I think it will take five years and something between $75 and $90 million to sign him as a free agent. That's a lot of money to leave on the table.

To get Rays post season tickets you have to register for a chance to get them online, and they did a drawing for games 1 and 2 of the ALDS, and now game 5 since Tampa clinched the division, and they'll do drawings for the ALCS if they make it there. I signed up and didn't get selected, but I signed up the wife and she got selected for game 5 tickets, so in the event Tampa vs. Sox/Twins goes 5 (and it's an evening game) I'll get to experience the worst stadium in the league and in the post season! (If I can remember to get up Monday morning when the tickets go on sale. 9est, yuck. )

I wonder how many Tampa Bay folks will even bother to show up? At least the Marlins fans did a nice little bandwagon show up for the series.

It's been a joy and a privilege watching Johan Santana pitch this year. I can't even express how proud I am that he's a member of this franchise.

Guest Smues

Yes he is. What he meant to say was that you're proud of that member of the franchise that is giving you a distaste for baseball.

Team does not equal franchise. They could go out tomorrow and lose 14-0 and I'd be incredibly pissed at the team, but I will never say that I wish I was a fan of another franchise. I'm proud to be a Mets fan and that will not change no matter what happens.

Elephantiasis of the elbow is probably one of the 3 or 4 million maladies he suffers from. That's why he needs the David Byrne big-suit jersey.

I understand why they did it but they are going to Kill Johan.

That's definitely a concern, but he needed to go all nine frames today to set a career high for innings pitched in a season, so it's not like he was worked an undue amount this year. Today was his first start of the season on three days rest.

I'm hoping they won't need him for 230+ innings every year going forward, but I'm not holding my breath.

I have a question but not sure where to put it. I'm thinking of getting the baseball package for Comcast next season, as well as hockey for this season. Are the games in HD? All? Some? None? If none of them are, it might not be worth it since my standard definition is pretty crappy. Thanks in advance.

I don't think any of them are but it might depend on the network the game feed is originating from.