TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 9/25 - 9/27

Needless to say this is a inexcusable loss for USC, but I won't be the least bit surprised if/when they make it to the National Championship game. I mean, its almost routine for them now to drop a game they have no business losing, but considering they lost to fucking Stanford at home last year, and were still in strong position to make the MNC game (if not for the loss to Oregon), I think they still stand a pretty decent chance of making it.

The ball is now in OU's court, and they need to make a strong statement this weekend.

I hate to say it, but the Big Ten could rear its ugly head again when it comes time for the BCS title game. I'm sure the voters will do everything they can to keep that from happening, but the SEC and Big 12 look awfully tough this year. At least one of those two conferences could have no teams with less than two losses which would leave an opening for a one-loss Penn St. or Wisconsin. Or maybe this could be one of those years where a Wake Forest (ACC) or a South Florida (Big East) run the table (I don't expect either to do it though), and then everything's all fucked up. It's still early though...just some speculation on what might happen down the road.

As far as Friday goes, U of L absolutely has to beat the crap out of UConn given that garbage that the Huskies pulled last year with the phony fair catch. UConn is easily the worst unbeaten team in the nation.

Na, we'll remain undefeated after tomorrow night. And the phony fair catch was AWESOME.

Guest Vitamin X

True story: Although I picked USC in the Pick `Em here at TSM, just yesterday I was starting to get the feeling that USC was going to lose tonight so I bet some money on Oregon State. Holy shit. What a wonderful night of drinking the Beavers just bought me.

True story: Although I picked USC in the Pick `Em here at TSM, just yesterday I was starting to get the feeling that USC was going to lose tonight so I bet some money on Oregon State. Holy shit. What a wonderful night of drinking the Beavers just bought me.

I made it undefeated longer in the pickem than my favorite team did......man that sucked.

Ohio State still looks like they don't know what to do against a team with speed and USC still looks like they don't know what to do when a team actually hits them. Neither deserve to be in but one of them probably will since Ohio State is already prepared with their "our running back was hurt" story. Of course, needing Wells to destroy Ohio really doesn't seem like a good case for a National Championship bid but alright. Looking like SEC vs Big 12 again.

At the end though I was really hoping for a USC comeback just to stick it to the stupid fans for AGAIN rushing the field. I'm really tired of major conference teams rushing the field for beating a team in conference action, regardless of the ranking. Especially a team that finished 9-4 last season ranked 25th in the damn nation. I'm just waiting for the day when Michigan fans rush the field for beating Ohio State.

Given how the Pac 10 is trash this year there is no way USC is going to the title game. They don't play another ranked opponent the rest of the year. There's bound to be a couple of teams from better conferences that wind up 11-1.

Given how the Pac 10 is trash this year there is no way USC is going to the title game. They don't play another ranked opponent the rest of the year. There's bound to be a couple of teams from better conferences that wind up 11-1.

So wait, let's say the choices are:

Team A

Lost in September, has tons of name recognition, played a weak schedule

Team B

Lost in November, has average name recognition, played a strong schedule

You really think the pollsters are going to take Team B in this scenario? A one-loss SEC team probably gets in over USC just due to what the conference has done in the last two championship games, but if it's Oklahoma/Missouri/Texas Tech/Wisconsin, there's no way. An undefeated BYU's not going to make it over USC either.

FTR, in 2003, the only ranked team USC played was #14 Washington State at home and they lost to a 7-6 Cal team, and people still talk like that team got robbed because LSU and Oklahoma made the national championship over them.

I didn't think that was going to be a very easy game. We were favored by what, 26 points. HA. Just win out and see what happens.

I'm sure there are others on here (besides me, obviously) who are pumped for the Bama/Georgia showdown Saturday night. An SEC game at night, the crowd is gonna be molten, Georgia is breaking out the black, and two top ten ranked teams with SEC championship game implications are facing off spells out great football says I. Was that a sentence?

Despite being about a mile from Sanford Stadium, I won't be able to watch the game, as I'll be too busy selling lottery tickets and tiny cigars to poor people. I can listen to it on the radio, but Larry "we just crushshshed their face" Munson, the longtime Georgia football radio broadcaster, retired this week. Guy had this very endearing sort of Droopy Dog quality to him and I enjoyed listening to his calls. He'll be replaced by the two totally nondescript guys that had previously just been doing road games. I think one of them is Eric Zeier.

Man, that was a hard loss for Louisville. Losing on an interception return for a touchdown, just brutal way to go down. Now UCONN is 5-0 for the second straight season.

The ball is now in OU's court, and they need to make a strong statement this weekend.

I think the ball is in Georgia's court. A win over top 10 Alabama is more impressive than No. 23 TCU. I think if Georgia makes a strong statement, or hell if they even win and it's not in like 50 OT's then they move to #1.

Ole Miss has tied Florida at 17 in the 3rd quarter. The Gators can't seem to hold on to the ball, as they've started the half with lost fumbles on two consecutive plays. I'm sweating a little here.

As a Gator fan (and I'm sure I'm not in the minority here) I'm sick and fucking tired of the same zone read up the middle for minimal gains. It's just so frustrating to watch this offense sometimes knowing the potential but suffering from completely lackluster and predictable play calling by the offensive staff.

Clemson is down 20-17 to Maryland at home in the 4th. In the grand tradition of the now annual ACC clusterfuck, Duke might as well win the conference this year.

Another fumble by the Gators (fifth today, three lost). Jesus H Christ already. This better be out of their system by November 1st or the Dawgs are going to run Florida off the field.

Wow, to think USC moved to #1 because they hammered VA. Now the Blue Devils are hammering them. I thought the Cavs were supposed to be new and improved this year?

Touchdown Ole Miss...guess Houston Nutt's team is going to let another one slip away in the fourth quarter.

And Ole Miss takes the lead. The offense looks anemic and the defense has no answer for the "Wild _____" formation. I'm getting really nervous.

This is absolutely fucking pathetic. I mean, Florida is returning essentially the same offense as last year and yet it looks completely inept out there. I realize Ole Miss isn't some doormat, but Christ, to see Tebow under all kinds of pressure every play, and ZERO running game is extremely worrisome. Every single fear regarding this team has come true in this game. The Gators will be extremely lucky to win this game.

Let's see Maryland barely beats Delaware, loses to Middle Tennessee but then beats Cal and Clemson. So I guess that means they'll lose to Virginia next week.