TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
CanadianChris

NFL Week 5

The Bengals signed Cedric Benson today. There's a high-effort, high-character guy to help set a good example for the rest of the locker room.

M5Q:

1. Who is the best team in the league?

2. Who is the worst team in the league?

3. Who is going to take a big step forward the next 4 games?

4. Rookie of the year candidates?

5. Other than Brady, what is the most costly injury to have happened so far?

1. Giants

2. St. Louis

3. The Bears and Redskins have the best chance of winning their next 4. I'm taking the 'Skins, since the Bears would more than likely somehow end up giving the Lions their first win this year, and losing to the Vikings.

4. If his team wasn't so shitty, Steve Slaton would be talked about more. I'm taking Eddie Royal if the Bronco's offense keeps it up. On defense I'm taking Brandon Flowers of the Chiefs... he hasn't made any big Sportscenter like plays yet, but he doesn't get beat and has been out of position twice this year. Kid has a bright future as an NFL corner.

5. The Charger's D ain't the same without Merriman. I'd go with McFadden also, but the Raiders have another capable young RB in Bush and some decent backups.

The Bengals signed Cedric Benson today. There's a high-effort, high-character guy to help set a good example for the rest of the locker room.

Yet Shaun Alexander has no job :(

They suggested on Around the Horn that the Steelers should nab him.

I have to agree.

Edit: Ah, I missed the week 4 RB discussion on the last few posts. I forgot about Justin Vincent being on the practice squad - and I randomly looked him up the other day too.

Anyone suggesting Shaun Alexander obviously didn't see him play last year. The run one yard and fall down play was the extent of his offensive repertoire. At least with Cedric Benson you can talk yourself into some offensive upside. Shaun and the gigantic fork in his back have none.

Dear God, can't someone sign the third Barber brother? He was a NFL MVP not too long ago, and is an all-around stand up guy. Meanwhile some douche who has never displayed as having a fucking heart for the running back position... even shys away from contact more than Julius Jones got signed.

What The Fuck, Cincy?

Anyone suggesting Shaun Alexander obviously didn't see him play last year. The run one yard and fall down play was the extent of his offensive repertoire. At least with Cedric Benson you can talk yourself into some offensive upside. Shaun and the gigantic fork in his back have none.

I mean, yeah, he did suck last year. I fully agree with you there.

But could it be a case of having an off year?

I mean at least he was 'good once' :(

I have to agree with failedmutation on the whole Benson sentiment.

I'm actually amazed to find out that Benson was actually looking for work.

1. Who is the best team in the league? I'll go with the Titans right now. They just look solid on both sides of the ball and nobody has figured them out yet. I would say the Giants, but I can't help but deduct slightly for the dubious OT win over Cincy.

2. Who is the worst team in the league? Rams. No one is even in the same ballpark of suck, not even the Lions.

3. Who is going to take a big step forward the next 4 games? As much as I have dissed Jacksonville I can't help but think they are going to make a run now that they are back to .500. They get an injury riddled Pittsburgh at home, might lose to Denver, and then have no one of note for a while.

4. Rookie of the year candidates? As mentioned, guys like Slaton, Royal, etc.

5. Other than Brady, what is the most costly injury to have happened so far? Merriman. The Chargers D just isn't very good without him in it.

Guest Vitamin X

I hate to say it, but it's still the Cowboys, last week's loss to the Redskins be damned. I'd say it's a toss-up between them and the Giants, and we haven't seen them play each other yet, so who's to say for sure. I'd go with the Cowboys because it's difficult to find a weakness on that team; you essentially have to pressure Romo into making mistakes and get a few breaks on the offensive side of the ball for it to work. Tennessee also looks good, but in that sense that they aren't that scary on offense or anything and have a decent running game and great defense, reminds me of the Jim Fassel Giants that were good but not great. They definitely have the inside track to that division and probably a wildcard berth at worst right now though.

Everyone's saying the Rams, but the two Ohio teams have to be pretty far up there as well. That game last week was just absolutely brutal to watch, and with no Carson Palmer, the Bengals are even worse than before. St. Louis is taking awful to a whole other level, but how about Detroit? They got destroyed by Atlanta in the first week on the ground, brutalized by Aaron Rodgers in the air Week 2, and then beat up by San Francisco Week 3. Their schedule doesn't get any easier, either. Poor Lions fans.

The Colts. They may be 1-2 and facing 3 of their next 4 on the road, but I'm not buying the lackadaisical approach the team's taken so far, and with that offense rested and healthy, they're going to come up big again in the South very soon. They've got Houston on the road which should be a win, Baltimore at home where their speed and offensive ability will help outgun the Ravens, the Packers at Lambeau where they can continue to explot Green Bay's shit defense, and then they've got Tennessee who I'm sure they'd like to beat.

Felix Jones has been a stud for the Cowboys so far, but Steve Slaton's the starter and doing great so far for Houston. Can't really pick a guy on defense just yet.

Merriman, obviously. Al Harris might be a blow, but Tramon Williams has played really well in his absence, even having an INT last week in the process.

Despite what I posted here in the preseason threads, a 9-7 year with a division title and a #4 seed is what I told people away from the internet and all of its readily usable stuff to pump up your confidence in your team. It's looking more and more like that, but it's cool. It'll be another year before this team is truly Nasty McFuckoff anyway.

1. Who is the best team in the league? I'll go with the Cowboys for now. I want to see more of the Giants before putting them at #1.

2. Who is the worst team in the league? Rams, although I really don't think the Lions are that far off.

3. Who is going to take a big step forward the next 4 games? I'm gonna go off the radar and say the Vikings. If they can find a way to beat the Saints on Monday Night, they'll be set up pretty well with winnable games against the Lions, Bears, and Texans before they host the Packers. No one's run away with the NFC North yet so this is a chance for them to make some headway.

4. Rookie of the year candidates? Lots of great offensive candidates, but I'll go with Chris Johnson. Not much on the defensive end...guess I'll go with Antoine Cason of the Chargers.

5. Other than Brady, what is the most costly injury to have happened so far? Merriman, but later on it could end up being Willie Parker if that injury lingers on too much longer. Big Ben's gonna have a hard time staying healthy if he doesn't have that run game behind him.

3. Who is going to take a big step forward the next 4 games? I'm gonna go off the radar and say the Vikings. If they can find a way to beat the Saints on Monday Night, they'll be set up pretty well with winnable games against the Lions, Bears, and Texans before they host the Packers. No one's run away with the NFC North yet so this is a chance for them to make some headway.

What? They have beaten the Colts and Eagles. They lost in the last moments to 3-1 Tampa Bay and 3-1 Carolina. How is that a winnable game?

Divisional game, you just never know. The Bears are much improved, but I don't think they're that good to where they automatically beat the Vikings. Minnesota's still got that guy named Peterson ya know.

Tennessee. They have the best defence in the league and made the playoffs last year despite a complete liability at the QB position (Young had only 12 TDs combined passing/rushing to go along with 17 INTs and 10 Fumbles). Both their running and passing offences are much improved over last year.

The Rams. Not even close. They are getting blown out in every game and the players are starting to resemble the crew of the HMS Bounty.

San Diego. They started 0-2, but it wasn't really a deserving 0-2. In their next four the only team that is any sort of threat is Buffalo. Just like last year they are going to end up turning things around.

Chris Johnson. He's a big reason why the Titans are 4-0.

Kendall Simmons. An already weak line gets a whole lot worse. In a best case scenario, Big Ben is going to be looking at a very long season. In a worst case, a very short one. The injuries to RBs Parker and Menderhall are almost as bad. We may be looking at a case where the Ravens lost the battle but won the war on Monday.

Divisional game, you just never know. The Bears are much improved, but I don't think they're that good to where they automatically beat the Vikings. Minnesota's still got that guy named Peterson ya know.

You're right in that its a divisional game and thus going to be tough, which is why you shouldn't group the Bears in the same category as say, the freakin' Lions. Certainly their play thus far has earned them a tad bit more respect than that. And Minnesota does have Adrian Peterson, and nothing else. The Bears are better at stopping the run than they are stopping the pass. So I see a situation similar to the Tennessee game where Peterson has a decent day but not one that breaks the game for them.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

I can't quite put it into words how delicious it is that Cedric Benson is a Bengal. That's just...too perfect.

Just watched the Al Davis presser. He is a looney tune. I hope Kiffin gets every single penny out of his miserable hide.

I was looking forward to Kiffin's interview more, and Kiffin lost all credibility with me. He couldn't even keep eye contact with the camera whereas Davis came across very clear. Davis left the paper trail all along. Nothing was 100% truth though. We all know which dog I had in the fight in the first place, so...

The fact that Davis is refusing to pay his contract is bullshit- no matter who is right or wrong, Davis just comes across so badly.

Davis is the one who has managed a Super Bowl contender into the gutter, and is by all accounts getting up there and losing brain cells, I don't think he's the most credible guy.

His press conference and the post press conference tells me he hasn't lost many brain cells...yet. Al was more clear and coherent than almost all the NFL owners would be in such a situation. And he took blame for all the head coaching changes over the past few years. I like him. A lot.

Anyone suggesting Shaun Alexander obviously didn't see him play last year. The run one yard and fall down play was the extent of his offensive repertoire.

Maurice Morris is version two of Alexander, with less speed.

While watching that Davis press conf. and then Kiffin I had to wonder why they kept arguing over whether they talked to each other or not. Who really cares and why is that such an issue? Of course Kiffin sucked but Davis did hire him so the buck stops there.

That said, I think Kiffin should sue to get whatever money is due him.

His press conference and the post press conference tells me he hasn't lost many brain cells...yet. Al was more clear and coherent than almost all the NFL owners would be in such a situation. And he took blame for all the head coaching changes over the past few years. I like him. A lot.

King, I like you. I like you a lot. That said, you're nuts to like Al Davis. I saw the same press conferences and Kiffin came off better than Davis did IMO. I mean, the strong side of Davis's argument is that Kiffin didn't want JaMarcus Russell. That's a lost battle.

The crux of Al's argument is that Kiffin has overstepped his boundaries on multiple occasions and spread outright lies. Especially the ones in which he states that he hasn't talked to Al Davis. Al Davis is notorious for meddling, does anyone really believe that he wouldn't talk to his head coach for weeks on end? I sure don't.

The only thing real dumb Al has said this whole time is that Lane Kiffin wanted Randy Moss gone. I just don't believe that.

The crux of Al's argument is that Kiffin has overstepped his boundaries on multiple occasions and spread outright lies.

The only thing real dumb Al has said this whole time is that Lane Kiffin wanted Randy Moss gone. I just don't believe that.

When you are the head coach, you naturally assume you have a larger scope of control. I know still fly brought up the point that he was a rookie head coach, going to a team that has an owner notorious for wanting full control to himself, but when you ARE the head coach, you want to coach to your strengths, which means getting the right personnel, the right staff, the right philosophy. Otherwise you'll fail coaching a system you aren't familiar with. That said, it's done with. Kiffin's out. Davis's still the owner. He wins.

Eh, I really don't care anymore. Al got what he wanted, Kiffin got his out (with no money), a new head coach is in, and I just want the Raiders to just play some fucking football. Both Al and Lane are probably spinning the real truth it in their respective positions.

Both these guys look like fools IMO. Nobody gained anything from this. I'm just glad its over for now.

Travis Henry busted in coke deal.

DENVER (AP) - Federal authorities say former Denver Broncos running back Travis Henry has been arrested following an alleged cocaine deal.

The Drug Enforcement Administration says Henry is being held pending the filing of federal drug charges in federal court Wednesday in Denver.

The DEA says Henry and James Mack were arrested Tuesday after a "multikilogram cocaine transaction" in the Denver suburb of Centennial.