TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DrVenkman PhD

WWE No Mercy 2008

World Heavyweight Championship Ladder Bout: Chris Jericho © vs. "The Heartbreak Kid" Shawn Michaels.

WWE Championship Best of 1 Fall Contest: "The Game" Triple H © vs. "The Rainwbow Haired Warrior" Jeff Hardy.

ECW Championship Un-Extreme Rules Match: Matt Hardy © vs. "The World's Strongest Man" Mark Henry.

WWE Women's Championship: "The Glamazon" Beth Phoenix vs. Candice Michelle

Contest for Contednership: "The Animal" Batista vs. John "Bradshaw" Leyfield.

Mask vs. Nothing Match: Rey Mysterio (m) vs. Kane [i was hoping this would be a mask vs. re-mask match].

Falls Count Anywhere in the Ring (if there isn't a rope break) match: The Big Show vs. The Undertaker

The two main events show enough promise to make this show a purchase for me. Despite the feud winding down in the last few weeks, I'm still very interested in what new innovations Shawn and Jericho come up with to fill out their match, hopefully mixed with some shoutouts to their famous spots from previous ladder matches. Undertaker and Big Show delivered a fun match back at No Way Out 2003, but with Taker's knee injuries and Show's ballooning weight I'm not expecting much this time around. Kane has become underrated in the ring I feel, after having to constantly work Henry, Viscera, Khali, Batista and other lugs for what seems like years now, so I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do with a smaller worker like Rey. JBL/Batista and the women should both be short, and, in the case of Beth/Candice, hopefully decisive. Too bad they couldn't fit Punk & Kofi vs. Priceless on the card.

Edited by tobin

Too bad indeed. They are actually entertaining. No US/IC champ matches makes me sad. This card seems a bit light for 3 hours.

Its interesting to note that, outside of the women, this card is entirely comprised of long-term veteran wrestlers, and wouldn't look out of place if it had taken place 5-6 years ago. None of the new talent over the last few years are represented.

Jericho will retain, and move into a feud with Batista. HBK will move into a lesser feud with Cade in a Teacher vs Student storyline, that will allow HBK to go over while elevating Cade. I hope to see some TWA footage (assuming it exists).

HHH is retaining, though this match could have a non-finish due to a Koslov run-in. I'm not feeling Koslov at all, but the writers are really pushing him. I think it could be something at little as the white trunks I HATE white trunks. Give him red trunks or would that be gimmick infringement - does some veteran wear red trunks?

Mark Henry will win back the title - he's much better as champion and Hardy is much better as the one chasing the title. This won't end the feud though as there isn't another face credible enough to step up against Henry. ECW needs another established face in the worst way.

The comeback wrestler usually wins the title so I'll give it to Candace here, with Santino costing Beth the title. Candice can feud with Katie Lea. Beth can remain in the Santino storyline as it seems to be leading somewhere given the phone call to "Frankie". I could see a face turn for Beth out of this eventually.

Batista is going to beat JBL. I don't know where JBL will go from here, but his mic ability will be able to get him heat in short order. Sets up Jericho vs Batista. IF JBL does win, you know HBK is going over in the ME.

I absolutely agree that the Mysterio vs Kane match should have been Mask vs Re-mask match, but then I've been championing the idea to get the mask back on Kane forever. I think a remasked Kane is a world title contender and would give him an opportunity to freshen up his character. I guess the office folks really like his "facials" though, and putting him under a mask would negate this strength. Could Mysterio lose his mask? I HIGHLY doubt it however there was a story about Mysterio wanting to do movies as part of his contract when he re-signed. Could they tweak the character where Mysterio still wrestled with a mask on to honor his heritage, however doesn't wear it in backstage segments and such?

I have zero interest in Undertaker vs Big Show - Big Show is mailing it in it seems and Undertaker is boring me these days. He needs something to freshen up his character or remain a special attraction. The deal was that they needed Undertaker in another feud before they could bring back Edge, in order to have storyline reasons for keeping the two apart. I wonder if we could see Edge come back and cost Big Show the match - setting up Big Show/Vickie vs Edge/Alicia, and Undertaker could go feud elsewhere - maybe getting involved with MVP or The Brian Kendrick (with Ezekiel of course).

Mark Henry will win back the title - he's much better as champion and Hardy is much better as the one chasing the title. This won't end the feud though as there isn't another face credible enough to step up against Henry. ECW needs another established face in the worst way.

Finlay? I'd like to see him take on Mark Henry, should Mark get the title back.

Anyways, I'm ordering the show tonight but I'm having bad feelings about it. Taker-Show and JBL-Batista will be good at best. I hate Candice Michelle. I don't really care who the ECW champion is, and I couldn't care less who wins between Rey and Kane. My only interest in Triple H-Hardy is the potential for Jeff to win the belt, but with all this Koslov shit going on this one will probably end in a no-contest. HBK-Jericho is the sole reason I am putting money down tonight, and I hope they can deliver. I'd be satisfied with either one coming out on top.

ECW needs another established face in the worst way

Evan Bourne says hello.

Bourne is nowhere near established enough to be ECW champion. I love watching him as much as anyone, but putting him against Henry for the title is not a good idea right now.

ECW needs another established face in the worst way

Evan Bourne says hello.

Bourne is nowhere near established enough to be ECW champion. I love watching him as much as anyone, but putting him against Henry for the title is not a good idea right now.

:lol:

The ECW title isn't that big a deal.

My predictions:

Matt Hardy

Beth Phoenix

Rey Mysterio

The Big Show

Batista

Chris Jericho

I want to say Jeff Hardy.

With Hardy/HHH, it depends on placement. The ladder match will be the best match, but if Hardy's winning, his match should go on last. If not, ladder match goes last. If Jeff is getting the belt, I'd place the ladder match 3rd to last with the Women's title match in between.

I don't see Jeff Hardy winning. I see Jeff winning at a WrestleMania for his first win. I also do not see the title changing hands because of Kozlov's recent activities towards the title, as if Hardy did win, we'd have HHH/Hardy rematch at the next PPV, and Kozlov would have to spend a good 3 months just attacking Hardy and HHH in an effort to stay in the main event, not getting his title match.

I'd love to see HHH hold the belt all the way til Mania and lose to Hardy.

yeah this card is kind of small

earlier I was trying to remember 3 matches on the card and the only match I could think of was Batista/JBL

I think the ladder match will be going 30-40 minutes and we'll get Jericho doing the walls on top of the ladder ala Benoit/Jericho at the Rumble. Can't see HBK winning the title at a shit ppv. Big Show will probably win since Vickie is still out.

Yeah, we do, but now they've bumped 6 of the 12 PPV's up to PPV, and I refuse to pay $30 to watch something at 2am.

Edit 1 & 2: And with recent events in my life, i'm not in a position to spend that anyway.

And I know it's not on yet, just wondering if anyone knew of any that would be running them so we could get it on the first page and not have people constantly requesting it.

Yeah, we do, but now they've bumped 6 of the 12 PPV's up to PPV, and I refuse to pay $30 to watch something at 2am.

Edit 1 & 2: And with recent events in my life, i'm not in a position to spend that anyway.

And I know it's not on yet, just wondering if anyone knew of any that would be running them so we could get it on the first page and not have people constantly requesting it.

Nah, there are dozens of streams that are advertised, but only a handful end up working. There's no way of knowing until the show starts.

First off...

Venk, your first post SAYS IT ALL. This is probably going to be the worst PPV of the year with storylines that seemingly make little to no sense and Tobin also makes a good point...

Its interesting to note that, outside of the women, this card is entirely comprised of long-term veteran wrestlers, and wouldn't look out of place if it had taken place 5-6 years ago. None of the new talent over the last few years are represented.

Seems like a tired, worn out lineup.

Jericho will retain, and move into a feud with Batista. HBK will move into a lesser feud with Cade in a Teacher vs Student storyline, that will allow HBK to go over while elevating Cade. I hope to see some TWA footage (assuming it exists).

I can still see HBK vs Batista for the belt. There's still some unfinished business there. It's completely feasible that Jericho costs HBK the belt on the next PPV. That would take them both out of the title picture and elevate their rivalry even more.

HHH is retaining, though this match could have a non-finish due to a Koslov run-in. I'm not feeling Koslov at all, but the writers are really pushing him. I think it could be something at little as the white trunks I HATE white trunks. Give him red trunks or would that be gimmick infringement - does some veteran wear red trunks?

I think a singlet ala Nikita Koloff would suit him well. If he's going to get a title push, shouldn't he have someone representing him? My vote is for a manager from the past to make a big return.

Realistically, it's hard to even consider Matt as a challenge for Henry, but this is Pro Wrestling. That being said, I think the old ECW rules are painfully overdue, and the only way I see Matt retaining or regaining is with outside help. He needs to build a small stable.

The comeback wrestler usually wins the title so I'll give it to Candace here, with Santino costing Beth the title. Candice can feud with Katie Lea. Beth can remain in the Santino storyline as it seems to be leading somewhere given the phone call to "Frankie". I could see a face turn for Beth out of this eventually.

Candace should win the title ONLY if they feel she's ready. It would be a travesty to have a WWE Ladies champion that totally blows spots on a weekly basis. I can see Beth and Santino together for a LONG time, so I don't see face. I do see, however, a fun lover's quarrel angle out of them with Santino playing the bitch more than ever. He can't hold the IC belt long without her, and I see him holding it for some time to come.

Batista is going to beat JBL. I don't know where JBL will go from here, but his mic ability will be able to get him heat in short order. Sets up Jericho vs Batista. IF JBL does win, you know HBK is going over in the ME.

No question on this one.

I absolutely agree that the Mysterio vs Kane match should have been Mask vs Re-mask match, but then I've been championing the idea to get the mask back on Kane forever. I think a remasked Kane is a world title contender and would give him an opportunity to freshen up his character. I guess the office folks really like his "facials" though, and putting him under a mask would negate this strength. Could Mysterio lose his mask? I HIGHLY doubt it however there was a story about Mysterio wanting to do movies as part of his contract when he re-signed. Could they tweak the character where Mysterio still wrestled with a mask on to honor his heritage, however doesn't wear it in backstage segments and such?

I see a crazy swerve coming here. I realize Rey sells tons of merch, but what if Kane holds him "hostage" somehow and makes him his pawn for a while? Or, in typical WWE fashion, some crazy "supernatural" angle to have Rey under Kane's control. (It's the WWE, it COULD happen :P)

I have zero interest in Undertaker vs Big Show - Big Show is mailing it in it seems and Undertaker is boring me these days. He needs something to freshen up his character or remain a special attraction. The deal was that they needed Undertaker in another feud before they could bring back Edge, in order to have storyline reasons for keeping the two apart. I wonder if we could see Edge come back and cost Big Show the match - setting up Big Show/Vickie vs Edge/Alicia, and Undertaker could go feud elsewhere - maybe getting involved with MVP or The Brian Kendrick (with Ezekiel of course).

Speaking of crazy "supernatural" BS. Prepare to roll your eyes at how stupid the match becomes with more theatrics from UT.

Well, that's my two cents.