TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/21 - 10/26

I love how the northeast gets Oklahoma State @ Texas as opposed to the more geographically closer game of Virginia Tech @ Florida State...

Not me, the cut off line is 10 miles north of me. I'm a Florida State fan but I didn't want to see them this week. So the one week I don't WANT to see em is the week I see them. That bloody well figures. What happened to that thing where ABC would show one game and ESPN would be showing the other big game? That worked pretty damn well.

Okay, this is just retarded. I don't see any games scheduled for either ESPN or ESPN2 at 3:30. Is there some pressing NASCAR or bass fishing event that overrides an actual meaningful college football game? I presume ESPN2 is going to be the Big Ten game reverse mirror thing again, but really? Looks like a weekend where they really are just trying to sell Gameplan. I'll probably be at a bar to watch UVA/GT anyway, but whatta pain in the ass for anyone who doesn't feel like eating nachos all day to watch some football.

Okay, this is just retarded. I don't see any games scheduled for either ESPN or ESPN2 at 3:30. Is there some pressing NASCAR or bass fishing event that overrides an actual meaningful college football game? I presume ESPN2 is going to be the Big Ten game reverse mirror thing again, but really? Looks like a weekend where they really are just trying to sell Gameplan. I'll probably be at a bar to watch UVA/GT anyway, but whatta pain in the ass for anyone who doesn't feel like eating nachos all day to watch some football.

ESPN has... horse racing! while ESPN2 has "College Football - Toledo at Northern Illinois in MAC action. Episode - 30."

I love how the northeast gets Oklahoma State @ Texas as opposed to the more geographically closer game of Virginia Tech @ Florida State...

Not me, the cut off line is 10 miles north of me. I'm a Florida State fan but I didn't want to see them this week. So the one week I don't WANT to see em is the week I see them. That bloody well figures. What happened to that thing where ABC would show one game and ESPN would be showing the other big game? That worked pretty damn well.

The "reverse mirror" arrangement was set up last season as part of the Big Ten's new t.v. deal as the 3:30/12:30 PM Big Ten game must always be nationally televised, which is why if you don't get their game on ABC it will be ESPN/ESPN2. For the Big XII and Pac-10, FSN is still the primary cable outlet for those conferences so ESPN is not allowed to usd one of their games as a "reverse mirror" so that is why the Oklahoma State/Texas game can only be seen on ABC.

Oh, is this weekend the Breeders Cup? I guess that's important for, like, 8 people and gambling addicts.

Expect several horse racing references by the announcers during the Texas Tech/Kansas game which will be the lead in to the Breeder's Cup. I guess the only question will be if any player during that game breaks their leg, will they shoot him to keep up theme?

Florida blocks a FG attempt! Man, I'm loving the way Florida is playing right now in all three phases. Having listened to every Georgia game this year, I feel like there's no way they can match Florida's firepower. And with the Dawgs coming off a road trip to Baton Rouge, I wouldn't be at all surprised if this year's "World's Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party" isn't all that competitive.

Edit: Will Demps with a long TD catch. 35-0 Florida in the 2nd.

Josh Freeman completes his trio of K-State QB career records with his 38th TD pass, and K-State is looking good so far against the Sooners

Kentucky was getting slaughtered til they changed QBs and now thanks to Cobb and the Florida defense getting penalties like crazy, they're in the redzone looking to score.

And then they inexplicably put Hartline back in to start the 2nd half. His first pass is intercepted and returned for a TD.

I was kind of hoping OU made it to 62 at halftime but I'll take this. If the defense shuts Freeman down on the first few plays I guess we can expect to see a lot of Joey Halzle......yay.

It's a shame that our all-time leading QB is going to be remembered for heading the most mismanaged-to-mediocrity teams in the school's history

While trying to avoid a sack, Northwestern's back up quarterback Mike Kafka threw the pass out of bounds...backwards 20 yards. It should make some highlight reels.

Early scores of note...

#10 New Hampshire beat Towson 42-14

#24 Lafayette beat Fordham 48-13

#17 UMass beat Bryant 42-7

#25 Harvard beat Princeton 24-20

#23 William & Mary beat Rhode Island 34-24

Might I add that I'm sick of the slobbering in the Georgia vs. LSU game. It's like the announcers are treating the SEC like it's the world's best conference and that every player on both team is uber talented compared to anybody else (You'd think the FB on Georgia would make the NFL with ease and be an early round pick).

^ is reason #2 on my list as to why I prefer I-AA football games.

It's like the announcers are treating the SEC like it's the world's best conference

It's not?

I'd say it's overrated in that respect. It seems like there's three top tier teams (LSU, Florida, Georgia) and a second tier (Auburn, Tennessee) followed by mediocre programs.

Most of the "top" conferences (i.e. the SEC, Big 10, Big 12) tend to get hyped as great due to two or three outstanding teams while the rest of the division is solid but not exactly overwhelmingly amazing.

The lower tier divisions (WAC, MAC, MWC) tend to be snubbed because the attitude was that there was one great team (or two) but the rest were mediocre/poor despite often being penalized by playing in-conference opponents. You don't see Florida being penalized for playing a team like Vanderbilt... instead those teams are praised for playing tough opponents and tough schedules simply because they're lucky to be in such a competitive division.

Boise State is a prime example of a lower level team that's been great but has largely been overlooked in terms of the big conference teams.

2001: 8-4

2002: 12-1

2003: 13-1

2004: 11-1

2005: 9-4

2006: 13-0

2007: 10-3

That's a record that rivals Texas during that span but because Boise State had the "luxury" of being stuck in a poor conference and not having to play mediocre to solid teams such as Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Colorado, and Oklahoma State they get penalized and called overrated or a product of their conference.

Well nice job of OU screwing up BCS style points again.

The defense looked like a bunch of retards trying to figure out where to go.

And then the offense could've easily put up 80, but instead Stoops decided to be Mr. Conservative (like always) and take his foot off the pedal in the second half. So disappointing.