TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 10/21 - 10/26

For the third straight week, Texas is in the spotlight as they continue through the Big XII gauntlet. This time around it's T Boone Pickens State University coming to Austin and it's just about the biggest game in school history for the Cowboys. Note the game is in the ESABCPN regional slot so I'll be sure to post the coverage map when it's available. Weep for those who will be stuck with UCLA/Cal and don't have GamePlan.

In the ESABCPN primetime game Penn State will try to end our national nightmare and prevent Ohio State from once again entering the MNC game picture. Will JoePa be on the sidelines for this game, and if he is, will he live through the night?

In other action, dare we ever forget about the ESS EEE SEE as LSU hosts Georgia as the Bulldogs are still very much alive for the MNC if enough things go there way. And Texas Tech will finally hit the meat of their schedule as they take on Kansas.

Network/Basic Cable Schedule

TUESDAY

Ohio at Temple, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

THURSDAY

Auburn at West Virginia, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPN

FRIDAY

#12 Boise State at San Jose State, 9:00/6:00 PM, ESPN2

SATURDAY

#8 Texas Tech at #23 Kansas, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN

Illinois at Wisconsin, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN2

#4 Oklahoma at Kansas State, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, FSN

Baylor at Nebraska, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Versus

#7 Georgia at #13 LSU, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBS

Michigan State at Michigan, 3:30/12:30 pm, ABC/ESPN2

Virginia Tech at #25 Florida State, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC/ESPN2*

#6 Oklahoma State at #1 Texas, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

UCLA at California, 3:30/12:30 PM, ABC*

Dartmouth at Columbia, 4:00/1:00 PM, Versus

Colorado at #15 Missouri, 6:30/3:30 PM, FSN

#2 Alabama at Tennessee, 7:45/4:45 PM, ESPN

#3 Penn State at #9 Ohio State, 8:00/5:00 PM, ABC

Notre Dame at Washington, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN2

#5 USC at Arizona, 10:15/7:15 PM, FSN

SUNDAY

UCF at #19 Tulsa, 8:00/5:00 PM, ESPN

Digital Cable/Satellite/GamePlan Schedule

THURSDAY

Jacksonville State at Tennessee-Martin, 7:30/4:30 PM, ESPNU

New Mexico at Air Force, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

SATURDAY

#24 Minnesota at Purdue, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPN Classic

Wake Forest at Miami, Noon/9:00 AM, ESPNU

#22 Northwestern at Indiana, Noon/9:00 AM, BTN

Boston College at North Carolina, Noon/9:00 AM, Raycom*/GP

Cincinnati at Connecticut, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Central Michigan at Toledo, Noon/9:00 AM, GP

Kentucky at #10 Florida, 12:30 PM/9:30 AM, Raycom*/GP

Lehigh at Holy Cross, 1:00 PM/10:00 AM, FCS Atlantic

UNLV at #21 BYU, 2:00 PM/11:00 AM, Mtn.

Southern Illinois at Missouri State, 2:30 PM/11:30 AM, FCS Pacific

Texas State at Stephen F Austin, 3:00 PM/Noon, FCS Central

Fresno State at Utah State, 3:00 PM/Noon, GP

SMU at Navy, 3:30/12:30 PM, CBSCS

Virginia at #18 Georgia Tech, 3:30/12:30 PM, ESPNU

#16 South Florida at Louisville, 3:30/12:30 PM, GP

Bowling Green at Northern Illinois, 4:00/1:00 PM, GP

New Mexico State at Idaho, 5:00/2:00 PM, GP

Wyoming at #14 TCU, 6:00 PM/3:00 PM, Mtn.

Weber State at Northern Arizona 6:00/3:00 PM, FCS Pacific

Middle Tennessee at Mississippi State, 7:00/4:00 PM, ESPNU

Texas A&M at Iowa State, 7:00/4:00 PM, FCS Central

Mississippi at Arkansas, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Florida Atlantic at UL Monroe, 7:00/4:00 PM, GP

Southern Miss at Memphis, 8:00/5:00 PM, CBSCS

Colorado State at San Diego State, 9:30/6:30 PM, Mtn.

Nevada at Hawaii, 11:59/8:59 PM, GP

All Other Division I-A Games

SATURDAY

Eastern Michigan at #20 Ball State

Louisiana Tech at Army, ESPN360

Duke at Vanderbilt

Rice at Tulane

N.C. State at Maryland, ESPN360

Rutgers at #17 Pittsburgh, ESPN360

Kent State at Miami of Ohio

Troy at North Texas

Oregon at Arizona State

Edited by Bored

For the third straight week, Texas is in the spotlight as they continue through the Big XII gauntlet. This time around it's T Boone Pickens State University coming to Austin and it's just about the biggest game in school history for the Cowboys. Note the game is in the ESABCPN regional slot so I'll be sure to post the coverage map when it's available. Weep for those who will be stuck with UCLA/Cal and don't have GamePlan.

Oh for fuck sake, you have got to be kidding. I just know we are getting the shitty UCLA/Cal out here on the west coast. Maybe ESPN will realize what a stupid scenario that is and either make it a national game, or at least available on da muthaship for the rest of us. If I get UCLA/Cal, Michigan/Michigan St, and VT/FSU on Saturday, I am going to be livid.

On a different note, since it's been all about the Big 12 lately, this seems to be as good a time as any for me to mention how fucking stupid an idea "divisions" are in these conferences. OK, if you want to run a conference championship game by all means do so, but for the love of god just pick the best two teams in the conference to play in it. This ridiculous division setup gives us situations like what we have now, where the 4 best teams in the Big 12 are in the South, and the North's "champion" is going to be some jobber like Kansas or Missouri that is either going to get run over by a team from the South, or will pull an upset and take the Big 12 right out of the national title picture. Wouldn't it be a lot more interesting if the potential was there for a Texas-Oklahoma rematch for a spot in the championship game? Plus you completely remove the possibility of stuff happening like Oklahoma not "winning their division" but back-dooring their way into the title game by sitting at home while everyone around them loses. Obviously this is mostly a Big 12 problem right now (in the SEC the top teams are reasonably evenly distributed over both divisions, at least this year), but it's still something that really should not even be allowed to occur (and even though I'm sure no one cares, it's the same way in the MAC, where the 4 best teams in the conference are all arguably in the West division).

A lot of huge games this week. Should be exciting!

Thursday 7:00 PM ET on ESPNU: 5-2 Jacksonville State @ 6-2 Tennessee-Martin

5-2 Colgate @ 4-2 Bucknell

5-1 Hampton @ 5-2 South Carolina State

5-1 Wofford @ 7-1 Elon

6-2 Furman @ 5-2 Appalachian State

Saturday 3:30 PM ET on CN8: 6-1 James Madison @ 5-1 Villanova

6-2 Weber State @ 6-1 Northern Arizona

On the contrary...I love title games, the Pac-10, Big East and Big Ten should follow suit, actually. It's the BCS that's the problem, not the fallout and drama a title game upset can cause. Maybe if the Big Ten had one, we wouldn't have OHIO STATE backdooring their way in to a title game slaughter again (this is assuming Penn State slips up this season, of course).

On the contrary...I love title games, the Pac-10, Big East and Big Ten should follow suit, actually. It's the BCS that's the problem, not the fallout and drama a title game upset can cause. Maybe if the Big Ten had one, we wouldn't have OHIO STATE backdooring their way in to a title game slaughter again (this is assuming Penn State slips up this season, of course).

Unfortunately, they can't. NCAA rules prevent conferences with fewer than 12 teams from holding a championship game, whether they want to or not. It's why the ACC was able to immediately schedule a title game when they raided the Big East for their three additional teams.

Imagine this...

Big Ten East:

Michigan

Michigan St.

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

Big Ten West:

Indiana

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Iowa

Of course, Notre Dame will never give up their independent football status but it's something to think about.

What's with the Ohio State comments? I seriously doubt they'd give a spot to them again, even if they emerged out of the Big Ten the champions. I think teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Florida and USC would get a shot before Ohio State does, in terms of the 1 loss teams. That's why I'd welcome the scenario where Ohio State beats Penn State. Anything to help my team.

What's with the Ohio State comments? I seriously doubt they'd give a spot to them again, even if they emerged out of the Big Ten the champions. I think teams like LSU, Oklahoma, Florida and USC would get a shot before Ohio State does, in terms of the 1 loss teams. That's why I'd welcome the scenario where Ohio State beats Penn State. Anything to help my team.

Face it. Neither of our teams are going to the championship this year. Yeah, you raped us, but you also lost to an unranked team. It's whatever. Ohio State, even if they win out, will not make it to a championship game this season.

I don't have a problem with conference championship games, it's with the artificial partitioning of the conference and not matching up the two best teams I take issue with. It's going to be really lame if 12-0 Texas plays 9-3 Kansas for the Big 12 title instead of 11-1 Oklahoma.

For another example, consider MFer's hypothetical Big 10 (11) + Notre Dame conference with divisional breakdowns that make the East absurdly stronger (usually) than the West.

Face it. Neither of our teams are going to the championship this year. Yeah, you raped us, but you also lost to an unranked team. It's whatever. Ohio State, even if they win out, will not make it to a championship game this season.

Under that scenario only Penn State, Alabama and Texas got a shot. The only team of that group that has the best shot to escape undefeated is Penn State. It's hardly time to give up on your team's season, well unless you're Ohio State. You already lost that "big game" this year, the game that would have enticed voters to believe Ohio State could hang with a top tier team from out of conference. Teams like Florida and USC have worse losses on their records, yes, but somehow it seems like the voters recognize that they are still great teams who occasionally slip up in their in-conference schedule. They beat teams consistently in the bigger spotlight. Ohio State doesn't. And hasn't for a few years now, I think. I think their last significant win was against Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, and then after that, that Michigan game that sent them in the national title game against Florida. Anyways to sum up, I think everyone got a shot to make it back in, but Ohio State has the weakest case, I think.

I'm sure when the Big 12 was created, they weren't expecting Nebraska to head to the shithouse. They probably expected more out of Kansas St. and Colorado at the time, as well. Realistically, when you think of the Big 12, the first 3 teams that come to mind are Texas, Oklahoma and Nebraska. Who in the blue hell woulda thought Oklahoma St., Missouri, Texas Tech and Kansas would have been up there this season and the past couple of seasons? There were years where Nebraska fans would see those 4 teams and say "automatic win".

Under that scenario only Penn State, Alabama and Texas got a shot. The only team of that group that has the best shot to escape undefeated is Penn State. It's hardly time to give up on your team's season, well unless you're Ohio State. You already lost that "big game" this year, the game that would have enticed voters to believe Ohio State could hang with a top tier team from out of conference. Teams like Florida and USC have worse losses on their records, yes, but somehow it seems like the voters recognize that they are still great teams who occasionally slip up in their in-conference schedule. They beat teams consistently in the bigger spotlight. Ohio State doesn't. And hasn't for a few years now, I think. I think their last significant win was against Notre Dame in the Fiesta Bowl, and then after that, that Michigan game that sent them in the national title game against Florida. Anyways to sum up, I think everyone got a shot to make it back in, but Ohio State has the weakest case, I think.

I totally agree with you. We have looked nothing short of awful this year, and the only solid game we've played all season was against Michigan State. I just don't see USC going to the title game this year, but this just could be my blind hatred for everything west coast.

What's funny is that perusing some of the other sites online I go to with college football discussion, most of the bitching about the first BCS standings is coming from fans of teams that have already gotten punked out this season (Ohio State, Florida, USC, Georgia) and need help to move up. Memo to any such fans (and I'm not referring to anyone here): the BCS is not screwing your team, they screwed themselves by either getting blown out by a good team, or losing to a mediocre/bad one. On the flip side, I haven't noticed much complaining from Penn State fans (or Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech fans for that matter), presumably because they know they just need to keep winning and let the season play itself out, and if their team does its job chances are pretty good that they will find themselves in the championship game. As far as any sort of "pecking order" goes in terms of which losers could backdoor their way into the title game, it's probably something along the following lines:

1. 1-loss SEC champion

2. USC

3. Oklahoma

4. 2-loss SEC champion

5. Ohio State

This is of course assuming all sorts of wacky shit happens over the next month-and-a-half (which is obviously possible).

What's funny is that perusing some of the other sites online I go to with college football discussion, most of the bitching about the first BCS standings is coming from fans of teams that have already gotten punked out this season (Ohio State, Florida, USC, Georgia) and need help to move up. Memo to any such fans (and I'm not referring to anyone here): the BCS is not screwing your team, they screwed themselves by either getting blown out by a good team, or losing to a mediocre/bad one. On the flip side, I haven't noticed much complaining from Penn State fans (or Oklahoma St. and Texas Tech fans for that matter), presumably because they know they just need to keep winning and let the season play itself out, and if their team does its job chances are pretty good that they will find themselves in the championship game. As far as any sort of "pecking order" goes in terms of which losers could backdoor their way into the title game, it's probably something along the following lines:

1. 1-loss SEC champion

2. USC

3. Oklahoma

4. 2-loss SEC champion

5. Ohio State

This is of course assuming all sorts of wacky shit happens over the next month-and-a-half (which is obviously possible).

I'd switch USC and Oklahoma. Losing to Texas > Losing to Oregon State.

I don't have a problem with conference championship games, it's with the artificial partitioning of the conference and not matching up the two best teams I take issue with. It's going to be really lame if 12-0 Texas plays 9-3 Kansas for the Big 12 title instead of 11-1 Oklahoma.

For another example, consider MFer's hypothetical Big 10 (11) + Notre Dame conference with divisional breakdowns that make the East absurdly stronger (usually) than the West.

That's true about the balance of power being uneven in these conferences, but that's how my Big Ten scenario would likely play out. Like the Big 12, the Big Ten alignment would be based on geography and maintaining most rivalries (in this example, Minnesota/Wisconsin, Illinois/Indiana, Michigan/Ohio St., Michigan/Michigan St., etc...). I don't think the presidents (or whoever makes these decisions) ever intend to create divisions based on who "should" be the best teams year in and year out.

You could pretty easily preserve a lot of those rivalries by having a permanent game across divisions as well. In the SEC and ACC, every team has a cross-division rival they play every year; for example, FSU always plays Miami, Georgia always plays Auburn, etc. The disadvantage there is that you get fewer games against the rest of the division, but the advantage is that you don't have a Big XII scenario where Nebraska and OU don't always play.

I'd rather see 6 or 7 beautiful 10-team leagues that follow the Pac-10's round-robin schedule, but we'll never go back now that we've got mega-conferences.

Here's a complete list of teams that can get in over USC with one loss:

Florida

Georgia

Texas*

Oklahoma**

*= only if said loss comes in the next 2 weeks and they still win the Big XII title

**= only if they win the Big XII title

That's about it. A one loss Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Alabama, LSU, or Penn State would have no shot against the Trojans. Also, this talk about the computers punishing USC for their bad schedule is just that, talk. The fact is that USC doesn't play one non-BCS opponent and still has the big win over Ohio State to hang their hat on. That should more than make up for the fact that the Pac-Ten's a little down this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish the season with a better SOS of than most of the SEC contenders.

Also, if you look at the actual betting markets, the only team that has a better chance of winning the title than USC is Texas. Saying they're "out of the race" is ludicrous. The fact is that it's almost better to lose to an upper mid-level team like Oregon State than a top-tier team like Texas since the voters love to use this ridiculously simplistic head-to-head logic where "team A beat team B, therefore team B can't be ranked ahead of team A, even if team A's loss was much worse".

Here's a complete list of teams that can get in over USC with one loss:

Florida

Georgia

Texas*

Oklahoma**

*= only if said loss comes in the next 2 weeks and they still win the Big XII title

**= only if they win the Big XII title

That's about it. A one loss Texas Tech, Oklahoma State, Alabama, LSU, or Penn State would have no shot against the Trojans. Also, this talk about the computers punishing USC for their bad schedule is just that, talk. The fact is that USC doesn't play one non-BCS opponent and still has the big win over Ohio State to hang their hat on. That should more than make up for the fact that the Pac-Ten's a little down this season. I wouldn't be surprised to see them finish the season with a better SOS of than most of the SEC contenders.

Also, if you look at the actual betting markets, the only team that has a better chance of winning the title than USC is Texas. Saying they're "out of the race" is ludicrous. The fact is that it's almost better to lose to an upper mid-level team like Oregon State than a top-tier team like Texas since the voters love to use this ridiculously simplistic head-to-head logic where "team A beat team B, therefore team B can't be ranked ahead of team A, even if team A's loss was much worse".

I'd agree mostly, except want to say an 1 loss LSU would make it in over USC. After all, that's what happened last year, except add a loss per the two teams.

Well, it's not the same since LSU's 7 spots behind USC in the polls and they have a 30-point loss this year, but you're probably right in that if LSU avenged their loss to Florida in the SEC championship, there's a great chance they'd get the benefit of the doubt. Honestly though, I think it's a lot more likely that LSU finishes 9-3 than that they finish 12-1 with a win over Florida so I haven't put too much effort into calculating their chances.

A one-loss Alabama would have no shot of getting in vs. USC though, and even if LSU beat Georgia for the SEC title at 12-1, I don't think they'd make it over the Trojans. Would start to depend on screwy factors like how Ohio State and Oregon State do the rest of the way.

Imagine this...

Big Ten East:

Michigan

Michigan St.

Ohio St.

Penn St.

Notre Dame

Purdue

Big Ten West:

Indiana

Illinois

Northwestern

Wisconsin

Minnesota

Iowa

Of course, Notre Dame will never give up their independent football status but it's something to think about.

There's been speculation over the years that Big 10 would grad someone like Rutgers or Syracuse (at least before that program became one of the worst in college football) to get to 12 teams for a conference championship game and to get into the Northeast TV market.

I'm too lazy to link the article, but ESPN is reporting that Colt McCoy is staying at Texas for his 4th year.

If he can lead Texas to a title, win the Heisman then come back and have a solid year next year, he might just surpass Austin and Longhorn fans love for Major Applewhite

I'm too lazy to link the article, but ESPN is reporting that Colt McCoy is staying at Texas for his 4th year.

If he can lead Texas to a title, win the Heisman then come back and have a solid year next year, he might just surpass Austin and Longhorn fans love for Major Applewhite

Forget Applewhite, if he does that he might even surpass Vince Young.