The Truthiness

WWE SmackDown! - October 24, 2008

30 minute main event?

Raw hasn't had one of those in months

You're discounting entrances and such.

and commercials too!

but still...

usually Raw main events start at like 10:55

Trips should've known that the beatdown in the corner spot, always lead to the Last Ride...Hell that spot was invented on HHH at mania 17.

Hey, he's gone through a lot in the past nearly 8 years.

Trips should've known that the beatdown in the corner spot, always lead to the Last Ride...Hell that spot was invented on HHH at mania 17.

Hey, he's gone through a lot in the past nearly 8 years.

I'm sure he's still seen his fair share of Taker matches.

They were obviously holding back, as they should, but still an entertaining main event mainly due to the spectacle of seeing HHH and Taker in the ring together. I wasn't particularly excited about the match considering its supposed to be this major deal, but I have to admit I marked a bit despite myself when they faced off, especially in that backstage skit. Its a real shame they gave this away in any form, because I think they could have done pretty good PPV business based on fan anticipation of this match. Its not going to feel nearly as special again anytime soon.

Anyone else's MYNETWORK 10 O Clock news been showing WWE newspieces? Tonight MY9 (NY/NJ Area) did a quick piece on Matt Striker's past as a teacher and how he got canned. They showed him at a local school event talking about his past and wanting to be a good influence for kids. The anchor rapped it up by saying Matt wouldn't say no to teaching again, but he hopes to stay in WWE "for life" which gave me a laugh, as I pictured his future endeavor announcement someday.

Anyhow they have been doing these fluff pieces since SD moved to MYNETWORK , just like UPN did in '99 (or at least in SOCAL)

Even though HHH/UT was an obvious DQ with Big Show doing a run in, I question putting this on free TV at all. Especially free TV with zero build at all, just tossed on there. My brother missed the opening of the show and once he saw those two guys in the ring at the end was like "Wait up...HHH and The Undertaker are wrestling each other NOW? Why haven't they mentioned this more?"

That said, Khali rules. He's perhaps getting this close to being the next Fat Chick Thriller, but unlike Mike Awesome has the curious amount of charisma and ability to handle comedy to make it work. Keep him as a face and eventually have him stand up to the Big Show and Vicki.

Why do people care about getting big matches for free?

The match being on free TV isn't so much the issue, the utter lack of buildup is. Half the fun of wrestling is the anticipation rather than the actual match, and there was a ton of potential for a big match like UT/HHH for WWE to build excitement. Instead, its a throwaway main event with no backstory and only a one week build. Fans ultimately lose out because the match is just thrown out there without the big, epic buildup to experience and enjoy.

Vickie did it to punish UT and HHH, because Show didn't get the title last week.

Not hard to understand.

I think you're the one not understanding. We all know how the match came about. The problem is they didn't do nearly enough to build fan anticipation for such a big match, so it wasn't as nearly as enjoyable as it could have been had they build toward it over time for a more important occasion.

Vickie did it to punish UT and HHH, because Show didn't get the title last week.

Not hard to understand.

I think you're the one not understanding. We all know how the match came about. The problem is they didn't do nearly enough to build fan anticipation for such a big match, so it wasn't as nearly as enjoyable as it could have been had they build toward it over time for a more important occasion.

Man, nobody will give a fuck about this match a month from now. It was a big match between 2 faces, to get over 2 heels going in to the PPV Sunday, it isn't that serious.

Unless you're a WWE stockholder, I don't know why you would give a fuck, about having a good 20 minute match with two of the biggest stars in wrestling for free.

Not hard to understand.

Man, nobody will give a fuck about this match a month from now. It was a big match between 2 faces, to get over 2 heels going in to the PPV Sunday, it isn't that serious.

Unless you're a WWE stockholder, I don't know why you would give a fuck, about having a good 20 minute match with two of the biggest stars in wrestling for free.

I’m not sure how I can better articulate my point to you, so I’ll just say this – if you enjoyed UT/HHH just being thrown out there and having a match, then that’s great. I liked the match in itself too, but I’m also disappointed because they hadn’t faced off for so long, and they could have build it as an epic encounter to get really excited about. Now I’ve seen them in the ring the anticipation is gone, and to me at least it won’t feel as special whenever they get round to booking it again.

Edited by tobin

Every segment should end with, "Triple H pedigrees (name) to end the segment. "

Triple H pedigrees Hunter Hearst Helmsley to end the segment.

I'd laugh if he actually pretended to be getting Pedigreed at the end of a show.

Every segment should end with, "Triple H pedigrees (name) to end the segment. "

Triple H pedigrees Hunter Hearst Helmsley to end the segment.

I'd laugh if he actually pretended to be getting Pedigreed at the end of a show.

Also, whenever HHH's not onscreen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's HHH"?

-PoocHHHie'd