TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord of The Curry

UFC 92: The Ultimate 2008

Both fighters are much improved since the last time they fought Tito.

In the 2nd round Rashad looked to be getting better but Tito would grab the cage almost everytime Rashad would shoot in.

Rashad wasn't getting the better of Tito. He still wasn't winning the striking exchanges: he had had no way past Tito's reach advantage and 1-2's on the outside, and was outworked in the clinch. For every decent strike Rashad landed, Tito landed 2. Add in the near guillotine and mounting, and it was obviously Tito's round. Again, you can complain about Tito grabbing the fence, but Rashad did the same himself twice in the fight. If anything, the cage-grabbing was more detrimental to Tito in the end.

In the 3rd round Rashad dominated Tito, and came very close to stopping Tito. Hell if it would've been a 5 round fight, theres nothing that tells me the fight wouldn't have been a TKO victory for Rashad.

The round was nothing close to dominant. Tito gassed, but Rashad still couldn't manage to do much of anything. The first half of the round featured no action outside Tito scoring another takedown and trying to mount Rashad. Rashad managed to regain his feet, threw some shots on a sprawl, and then continued to move away until the last minute of the fight. he finally started to throw some strikes (missing most), and got a nice last minute takedown and followed it up with a few weak hammerfists. Saying he was close to a finish is ridiculous, especially compared to the trouble Tito had him in at the end of the second.

Rashad wasn't getting the better of Tito. He still wasn't winning the striking exchanges: he had had no way past Tito's reach advantage and 1-2's on the outside, and was outworked in the clinch. For every decent strike Rashad landed, Tito landed 2. Add in the near guillotine and mounting, and it was obviously Tito's round. Again, you can complain about Tito grabbing the fence, but Rashad did the same himself twice in the fight. If anything, the cage-grabbing was more detrimental to Tito in the end.

The only time Tito was getting the better of the striking exchanges was in the 1st round when Rashad was flat footed. In the 2nd round, yes Tito landed two nice knees in the thai clinch... But Rashad was peppering Tito with his right hand while Tito was doing little to nothing. Granted there wasn't much striking going in the 2nd, and the guillotine was the main reason why it was 9-9 because it was the biggest impact of that round.

The round was nothing close to dominant. Tito gassed, but Rashad still couldn't manage to do much of anything. The first half of the round featured no action outside Tito scoring another takedown and trying to mount Rashad. Rashad managed to regain his feet, threw some shots on a sprawl, and then continued to move away until the last minute of the fight. he finally started to throw some strikes (missing most), and got a nice last minute takedown and followed it up with a few weak hammerfists. Saying he was close to a finish is ridiculous, especially compared to the trouble Tito had him in at the end of the second.

Tito was doing little to nothing to defend those shots, you know how referees are. They thrive on defending the shots, had the bell not rang and Rashad continued to land, the referee most likely would've stopped the fight... No matter how weak those punches were. Apparently from the takedown and the mount Tito had in the 1st miniute, the round was ALL Rashad and he clearly won the round. He beat Tito in the stand up and slammed him hard and was hitting him with no problems until the bell rang.

I know you love Tito with a passion, but call it like it is.

The only time Tito was getting the better of the striking exchanges was in the 1st round when Rashad was flat footed. In the 2nd round, yes Tito landed two nice knees in the thai clinch... But Rashad was peppering Tito with his right hand while Tito was doing little to nothing. Granted there wasn't much striking going in the 2nd, and the guillotine was the main reason why it was 9-9 because it was the biggest impact of that round.

I have the fight in front of my eyes right now. Strikes landing clean:

- 30 seconds in: Tito lands a 1-2

- 10 seconds later, Tito lands another jab, Rashad counters with a 1-2, with the jab landing.

- 1:20 in: Rashad throws a 3 punch combination, the last right hand lands.

- 1:42 in: Tito lands an inside leg kick

- 1:51 in: Admist some exchanges, Tito lands a jab

- 2:13 in: Tito lands a knee to the body; 5 seconds later, an elbow

- Seconds later, Rashad lands an elbow and right hand

- 2:35 in: Tito lands a knee to the body

- 3:05 in: extended exchange, Rashad possibly lands a right hand (the camera angle is from behind Tito); Tito lands a knee to the body and a right hand

- 3:20 in: Tito lands a knee to the body, Rashad lands a right hand

- 4:00 in: Rash throws approximately 5 punches to Tito's ribs after an Ortiz takedown, intermittently throws 4-5 more in the next 30 seconds

And that's it until the guillotine. I didn't bother including a PBP of all the thrown strikes that didn't land cleanly (IE- Rashad's numerous punches glancing on Tito's arms, Tito's glancing low & body kicks). Rashad landed a handful of times standing; Tito landed more. It's simply fact.

Tito was doing little to nothing to defend those shots, you know how referees are. They thrive on defending the shots, had the bell not rang and Rashad continued to land, the referee most likely would've stopped the fight... No matter how weak those punches were. Apparently from the takedown and the mount Tito had in the 1st miniute, the round was ALL Rashad and he clearly won the round. He beat Tito in the stand up and slammed him hard and was hitting him with no problems until the bell rang.

Tito was hit harder and more often by both Belfort and Couture on the ground, and neither fight was stopped. Tito failed to defend about 5 weak hammerfists. There's little reason to believe that Tito's apathy at that point assured he was going to continue to get hit en route to a stoppage. And again, Rashad couldn't even be bothered to land anything of effect until the last 60 seconds of the entire round, and even then missed most of what he threw.

"Rashad is just moving away, though. This is the slowest Tito has looked the entire fight. The most weary, and Rashad's just not doing anything about it." -Joe Rogan

I know you love Tito with a passion, but call it like it is.

I'd call you a hypocrite, but that's hardly the worst I could do.

Dana says UFC 92's buyrate beat UFC 91's.

"I don't want to get into numbers too much—that's our policy. But it crushed it. I'll say this: The Christmas show crushed the Lesnar fight by 150,000-175,000 buys."

I expected a strong buy rate for UFC 92 but for it to beat UFC 91 is a surprise.

The show itself was good but I'm glad I didn't pay for it; Mir winning, especially in the manner he did, was a major downer for me. I hate Mir and while I look forward to him getting a beating from a much improved Lesnar, I was far more intrigued by Lesnar vs. Nogueira. Silva's knockout was a shock initially, but looking back on Silva in PRIDE shows how far he really has fallen physically. I expected Evans to beat Griffin but Evans took a while to kick things into gear as he seemed content to stretch the fight out.

Intrigued by Lesnar possibly committing homicide in the octagon? After seeing what Mir did to him, I am glad that Nogueira lost, I can only imagine the carnage Brock would have wrought with his hands to a slowed-down Nogueira. Mir is no slouch in the power department, but Brock is stronger by an order of magnitude.

That is shocking as all hell, that 92 did better than 91... if so, this should be a lesson to the UFC about making TUF more about the fighters than the coaches... There was no overshadowing the fighters by a ridiculously hyped-up feud (Ortiz/Shamrock), just two men destined to fight after coaching. Mir's ego was getting a little out of control towards the end, but nothing over the top.... even though the fighters themselves were over the top with the pranks, and every season someone feels that they have to act like a fucking nutcase to get attention, even its "get the fuck off my TV" attention.

Watched Blackburn vs. Chonan, and it was a close decision. The first two rounds were fairly slow, but the third round was actually very good. A bit of announcer bias towards Ryo, though the highlight was Goldie dropping Cung Le/Shamrock and Rogan reppin Lebanner/Bonjanski in regards to blocking kicks with your arm. Either Ryo started too slow or Blackburn slowed down, but if the fight were a 5 rounder Chonan would have ate Brads food (not that it matters much cause strategy changes for 3 rounds). Chonans kicks were good but it was ultimately Blackburn chaining his punches together and Chonan offering little head movement that won Brad the fight.

http://www.pancrase.org/ryo-chonan-vs-brad...deo/12-29-2008/