TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
At Home

Barack Obama's Inauguration

My mate at work firmly believes that Obama will be assassinated, just like David Palmer, though my mate is a total pot head.

You can't not be concerned, but I believe the he will be well protected.

I am also really freaking out that Obama took Indiana. My first election in this state, and, more importantly, the first time that the Dems have taken it since LBJ in 1964! This is the cherry...

istockphoto_3939198-cupcake-with-ch.jpg

...on the top.

Indiana, huh?

Sorry... My vote seems like so much more tonight than it did four years ago when I was an Illinois reisdent... even though a winner was declared over three hours ago... I never had a voting experience before where I felt particularly satisfied or proud, but this is really cool... being a state that hasn't swung this far in the blue direction in forty-four years and all...

So, they've just shown the 3" thick glass Obama stood behind during his speech. Is no one else a little concerned that the glass is only like 6' high, don't must snipers shoot from buildings high up, much higher then 6' and as such will be able to just shoot... you know... over the top of it?

A quick side into UK Politics - the UK has never had a Black Prime Minister, or even a black Leader of a Political party, not that we ever mention this. Just with the euphoria the UK news channels are making of this great change to the US, they fail to realise that the UK has never had much black representation.

haha shit, a streaker just ran across a UK reporter in America talking to people who voted, that was funny shit.

Coast to Coast AM home of Bigfoot, UFO's , 911 truther's and many other wacky theories had the worst theory ever from an "expert" tonight. He said "I fore-see a downfall for the republican party and by 2012 we will have 3 equal major political parties".

Wrong.

Guest Tzar Lysergic

To those baffled why that proposition isn't passing in California, I have a two word explanation:

Catholic Mexicans. You call a Mexican a faggot or a maricon or whatever, and them's fightin' woids. At least they are around here. I seen it.

I'm fuckin' flabbergasted that Obama won Indiana. The black population in Indy must have came out in droves. Even the sanctimonious PC liberal soccer moms out here were enchanted with Sarah Palin's dumb ass. Every white guy over 30 is republican.

What a great night, last night was. By 10 PM CST, I could go to bed knowing America had made the right choice. Last night was a crushing landslide victory for Obama, in terms of the electoral college. As of right now, McCain didn't even get 150 electoral votes. America was fed up with the fake conservative (aka neo-conservative) movement, and it was time to punish the Republican Party for the last eight years of incompetence and greed. I can't wait to hear all the right-wing venom spewers on the radio today, from the local likes of Charlie Sykes to the national people like Sean Hannity, trying to spin this as some sort of positive thing for the Republican Party to go through. The best thing for them would be to reject the wacko Christian fundamentalist influence, focus on basic economic and defense issues, and return to being the party in favor of small budgets and small government. I don't know if that will happen, but if they want to blame someone for this loss, they can look at President Bush and his ilk.

As far as them looking towards 2012, Sarah Palin is damaged goods. I feel most Americans decided they were sick of having leaders who can't give good answers to basic questions, or come up with original ideas on how to lead, in the executive branch of our government. Sorry, conservatives, but if you trot out the female version of George W. Bush to run against Obama in ought-twelve, she's going to get destroyed. At least we would get more wildly entertaining debates like the Biden/Palin squash.

Oh, and as far as the California thing...I don't want to hear any more of the BS "Most Americans are in favor of gay marriage." If this thing passed in California, it goes to show that the majority of mainstream America is not in favor of it. I do feel now, after much though, that it is a states right issue. This despite the fact that I usually hate the "Let's pass the buck on down", type attitude to governance. Let's see more of these proposals come up for voting by the citizens in each state, then we can get this debate put to bed for good.

Upon rewatching the Daily Show coverage (since I missed most of it), I have to say that it was pretty funny. Stewart has been getting better after reaching sort of a low point with me during Bush's second term (His Bush impression just never gets a laugh out of me), and Colbert's expression of disbelief after getting his show stolen was hilarious.

I don't want to interrupt the circle jerk, but I think it's pretty goofy to suggest that "the majority of mainstream America is not in favor of it" is a valid reason for denying basic civil rights to a marginalized group. I like democracy and all, but I'm not particularly fond of it as a determinant of whether someone's functional husband/wife can visit them in the hospital, etc.

I think people don't want to deny basic civil rights to gays and lesbians, but they don't want to see them be "married". That's all it is.

Anyway, this thread doesn't need to be about gay marriage. Any guesses on who Obama appoints to cabinet positions?

To those baffled why that proposition isn't passing in California, I have a two word explanation:

Catholic Mexicans. You call a Mexican a faggot or a maricon or whatever, and them's fightin' woids. At least they are around here. I seen it.

According to exit polls, whites opposed the amendment 53-47. But blacks supported it 70-30, and Latinos supported it 51-49. The polls have blacks at 10 percent of the electorate for this issue, with Latinos at 19 percent and whites at 63 percent. (Asians, at six percent, opposed the proposition 53-47.)

from http://corner.nationalreview.com/

Coast to Coast AM home of Bigfoot, UFO's , 911 truther's and many other wacky theories had the worst theory ever from an "expert" tonight. He said "I fore-see a downfall for the republican party and by 2012 we will have 3 equal major political parties".

Wrong.

They wont be equal parties, but I can totally see the Conservatives of the Republican party wanting out of the Republican party now that the Moderates in the GOP are saying that they have to move left in order to remain relevant as a party. I dont see the true Conservatives of the party standing for that, but unfortunately I really dont think there are enough of either group to make two parties that will be able to stand up against the Dems, so if thats their only worry then it wont happen.

I disagree with the assessment. I think the battle in the Republican Party is going to come down between secular vs. evangelical, as well as intellectual vs. populist. It's not a moderation thing as much as the two want to really go into two different directions with the party, which caused the big split on Palin during the election. It wasn't just the moderates leaving the party during this election, it was the thinkers that didn't want anything to do with an idiot like Palin.

On the other side, what's Bush going to do come 1/20? He's unpopular, uncharismatic and a whole bevy of other negative adjectives, so it's highly unlikely he'll make the book/speech rounds like Clinton...

Does he just go off into some hole and hide for the next several years?

On the other side, what's Bush going to do come 1/20? He's unpopular, uncharismatic and a whole bevy of other negative adjectives, so it's highly unlikely he'll make the book/speech rounds like Clinton...

Does he just go off into some hole and hide for the next several years?

If people will buy a book into the mind of a serial killer, they will buy a book into the mind of the man who they blame for one of the worst consistent mess periods in American history. There are a LOT of questions about the decisions of Bush that really only he can answer. I would say I would be more interested in a book from Bush about his view on his term (does he KNOW he was a complete failure? Does he acknowledge it? Does he give justification for his reasons?) than a book from a President who did a good job.

A book about Clinton? Wasn't interested in the least. Unless he went into great detail on whether or not Monica gave a good sloppy bj just because I'd like to know if she was worth it. I mean I'd hate to know the country got put through that mess and she wasn't even good at what she did.