TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bored

The College Football Thread 11/11 - 11/15

Troy is now up 31-3 on LSU!!! They will never wear the bad luck purple jerseys ever again. The Tigers also are starting to become one of the biggest disappointments of the year as this will certainly drop them out of the Top 25, unless they pull off the miracle.

Great moment in gambling at the end of the USC/STANFORD~ game as the Cardinal covered the 22.5 spread with a meaningless touchdown on the final play of the game.

The ACC confuses the shit out of me.

Fixed. I'm doing better in my pick-'em now by choosing the ACC games based on deciding who I think should win, then picking the other team.

By the way, sorry I haven't had time this week to respond to the firestorm I started earlier in the thread, but I may try to respond to a few posts later, especially since this week was fairly boring and so there's not much else to talk about other than to argue some more over the BCS (in fact, one argument I would make in favor of the BCS is that it makes college football a lot more interesting to follow and argue over from a week-to-week and even day-to-day standpoint).

Apparently some FSU player pulled a Gramatica by messing up his knee while doing that stupid celebration that everyone does where two players jump in the air and touch backs.

EDIT: Wow, that's a hell of a run-on sentence there...sorry.

Troy is now up 31-3 on LSU!!! They will never wear the bad luck purple jerseys ever again. The Tigers also are starting to become one of the biggest disappointments of the year as this will certainly drop them out of the Top 25, unless they pull off the miracle.

Annnnnnnnnd Troy has blown the lead. 33-31 LSU with 4:50 left.

Also tune over to ESPN2 right now to see history as Vanderbilt is about to be bowl eligible for the first time in 26 years.

Annnnnnnnnd Troy has blown the lead. 33-31 LSU with 4:50 left.

Also tune over to ESPN2 right now to see history as Vanderbilt is about to be bowl eligible for the first time in 26 years.

Well I'll be damned. Our long national nightmare is over.

Houston taking Tulsa out behind the woodshed to the tune of 70-30 halfway through the 4th.

I just saw that on Channel 2..any clue as to how many wins UH needs to get a bowl game, CV?

Houston taking Tulsa out behind the woodshed to the tune of 70-30 halfway through the 4th.

I just saw that on Channel 2..any clue as to how many wins UH needs to get a bowl game, CV?

If memory serves, they need one more. They beat up on Southern early in the season, so they've got 5 wins over 1A opponents, with games against UTEP and Rice left.

Well nothing terribly exciting happened today except for the ACC clusterfuck. The status quo pretty much remained the same with the top teams and we kept rolling towards the Big XII vs. SEC title game.

I guess Missouri really has the chance to fuck that up. But, I've heard a lot of people thinking that if Mizzou does screw that up one of the Big XII teams that missed out on the championship game will go to the national title. I heard Phil Steele say it's almost splitting hairs between Texas, Tech and OU. I just don't see the voters wanting to put someone that didn't win their conference into the game.

If memory serves, they need one more. They beat up on Southern early in the season, so they've got 5 wins over 1A opponents, with games against UTEP and Rice left.

The rule about I-AA wins not counting was thrown out a few years ago so they are bowl eligible. That's what happens when you have 34 bowl games, you can't risk not having enough eligible teams.

Didn't Nebraska sneak into a title game a few years ago without even playing in the Big 12 title game? No way would they ever allow something like that to happen again. Missouri hasn't been that great this year though, so I can't really see them beating TX Tech, OU, or Texas.

The one thing we do know is that barring something really bizarre happening the winner of Florida vs. Alabama will go to the title game. Unless Florida loses to FSU or Bama loses to Auburn, then all bets are off and it's BCS apocalypse. I wonder what would happen to Alabama if they lost to Auburn but then beat Florida?

The game I'm most interested in next week: BYU vs. Utah. If Utah wins, they are a cinch for the BCS and a longshot for the title game. If BYU wins, the Mt. West likely gets no BCS bid and there's a chaotic Big 12 South situation with BYU, Utah, and TCU all having 1 conf. loss.

FCS Score Spotlight

- New Hampshire laid waste to Massachussetts :( 52-21 behind RJ Toman's 295 yards passing and 4 TD.

- Harvard continues to dominate with a win over Pennsylvania 24-21. They still only have 1 loss on the year and I think sooner rather than later, the Ivy League as a conference may start demanding a possible spot in the playoffs. One argument I've heard against them is IIRC, their finals land during the semifinal round.

- Florida A&M slaughtered Hampton 45-24. QB Curtis Pulley threw for 159 yards, ran for 132, and had 4 TD total.

- Number 1 James Madison keeps it hold as they won 48-24 over William & Mary. Rodney Landers threw for 212, ran for 145, and scored 4 total TD.

- Western Illinois survived a crazy game over Illinois State 48-45. RB Herb Donaldson ran for 243 yards with 3 TD on 41 carries.

- Jacksonville State upset Tennessee State 26-21. RB Daniel Jackson ran for 105 yards and 1 TD.

- Georgia Southern upset Furman 17-10. QB Lee Chapple threw for 323 yards and 2 TD.

The ACC does not confuse the shit out of me. It's a lot of good teams beating the shit out of each other every week. It's not like Duke has a winning record. But BC winning these games surprises me. I expected them to finish 1-7 or so in conference, but now they control their own destiny.

Coaches' Poll

RANK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1. Alabama (45) 11-0 1508 1

2. Texas Tech (15) 10-0 1465 2

3. Florida (1) 9-1 1373 3

4. Texas 10-1 1322 5

5. Oklahoma 9-1 1305 4

6. USC 9-1 1245 6

7. Utah 11-0 1113 7

8. Penn State 10-1 1093 8

9. Boise State 10-0 1023 9

10. Ohio State 9-2 957 10

11. Missouri 9-2 894 11

12. Oklahoma State 9-2 838 13

13. Georgia 9-2 832 12

14. BYU 10-1 690 14

15. Michigan State 9-2 654 15

16. Ball State 10-0 613 16

17. TCU 9-2 533 18

18. LSU 7-3 429 20

19. Pittsburgh 7-2 406 21

20. Cincinnati 8-2 358 22

21. Oregon State 7-3 321 25

22. Oregon 8-3 169 NR

23. Maryland 7-3 140 NR

24. Northwestern 8-3 117 NR

25. Boston College 7-3 97 NR

Others Receiving Votes

Miami 74, North Carolina 70, Georgia Tech 67, Florida State 43, West Virginia 19, Western Michigan 16, Connecticut 12, Virginia Tech 7, Iowa 6, Air Force 4, South Carolina 4, Wake Forest 3, Central Michigan 3, Nebraska 2

AP Poll

1 Alabama (42) 11-0 1,601 1

2 Texas Tech (21) 10-0 1,574 2

3 Florida (2) 9-1 1,476 3

4 Texas 10-1 1,437 4

5 Oklahoma 9-1 1,369 5

6 USC 9-1 1,310 6

7 Penn State 10-1 1,178 7

8 Utah 11-0 1,158 8

9 Boise State 10-0 1,098 9

10 Ohio State 9-2 1,017 10

11 Oklahoma State 9-2 987 11

12 Missouri 9-2 913 12

13 Georgia 9-2 864 13

14 Ball State 10-0 714 14

15 TCU 9-2 659 15

16 Brigham Young 10-1 656 16

17 Michigan State 9-2 612 18

18 LSU 7-3 526 19

19 Cincinnati 8-2 413 22

20 Pittsburgh 7-2 406 21

21 Oregon State 7-3 389 23

22 Maryland 7-3 161 NR

23 Miami (FL) 7-3 139 NR

24 Oregon 8-3 126 NR

25 North Carolina 7-3 115 17

Others Receiving Votes: Boston College 79, Northwestern 44, Georgia Tech 34, Central Michigan 13, Western Michigan 12, Florida State 11, Iowa 8, West Virginia 6, South Carolina 5, Mississippi 4, Nebraska 3, Air Force 3, California 2, Connecticut 2, Virginia Tech 1

omg Missouri is ahead of OSU but OSU beat Missouri!1111111!!!!!

(am I doing this right, Texas fans?)

Also, there should be 3 ranked teams in Michigan and I have no idea how LSU is still ranked as highly as they are.

You'd think a 8-2 Cincy team could at least jump LSU by now, yeah. Oh well. LSU will probably lose in the next two weeks if they keep playing as they have lately, then we'll see if they still will stay ranked.

(FSU is 7-3 and barely gets votes, LSU is 7-3 but is 18th.. yeah)

omg Missouri is ahead of OSU but OSU beat Missouri!1111111!!!!!

(am I doing this right, Texas fans?)

Also, there should be 3 ranked teams in Michigan and I have no idea how LSU is still ranked as highly as they are.

Mizzou shouldn't be ahead of OK State, but like I said last week..and evidenced by LSU getting voted up despite their horrible performance against Troy...its more of a "what have you done for me lately" vote and no one's looking at head-to-head match-ups.

Florida getting a total of 3 number 1 votes between the two polls is rediculous. This whole "Oh, they're the hottest team in America...Tim Tebow brought fire and passion after that Ole Miss loss...." bullshit is just that, bullshit. When they beat Bama and win the SEC, I'd be fine with them getting a number one vote or hell, even being the number one team..until then, they're a team that lost at home to a putrid Ole Miss team.

Ole Miss isn't THAT bad, sure Florida shouldn't have lost to them at home but saying they're putrid is a little strong. Florida does look like the best team at the moment but I agree that they shouldn't be getting 1st-place votes until they beat 'Bama. Really doesn't matter that much though.

Ole Miss won 59-0 yesterday and has a bunch of close losses and are 6-4 I believe. I wouldn't call them putrid, but I agree that it's the worst loss of any big top 10 team right now and Florida is overrated because every Gators fan seems to be ignoring that loss.

BCS Rankings

1. Alabama

2. Texas Tech

3. Texas

4. Florida

5. Oklahoma

6. USC

7. Utah

8. Penn State

9. Boise State

10. Ohio State

11. Georgia

12. Oklahoma State

13. Missouri

14. BYU

15. Michigan State

16. TCU

17. Ball State

18. LSU

19. Cincinnati

20. Pittsburgh

21. Oregon State

22. North Carolina

23. Miami

24. Oregon

25. Maryland

So...

A 10-0 Ball State team that has two tough tests coming up is still ranked behind:

- A 9-2 Michigan State team that lost to 6-4 California to start the year and later lost to Ohio State

Penn State is at #9 despite losing to a 7-4 Iowa team on the road while Florida is at #4 with possible Title Shot despite losing to 6-4 Mississippi team at home.

USC is still ranked high despite losing to Oregon State on the road and beating a bunch of 5 win or fewer teams afterwards. If you're gonna make the argument of SOS, it should go both ways whereas if you're gonna use dominance than USC should be ranked much lower anyway. They beat a 6-4 Arizona team 17-10 and then beat a 6-4 California team 17-3.

It bugs me that it seems like there's two attitudes towards voting and coaches (and arguably the people who vote) have no idea how the voting works when a team loses and moves up, doesn't play and moves down, or wins by a small margin and moves down anyway.

So...

A 10-0 Ball State team that has two tough tests coming up is still ranked behind:

- A 9-2 Michigan State team that lost to 6-4 California to start the year and later lost to Ohio State

Penn State is at #9 despite losing to a 7-4 Iowa team on the road while Florida is at #4 with possible Title Shot despite losing to 6-4 Mississippi team at home.

USC is still ranked high despite losing to Oregon State on the road and beating a bunch of 5 win or fewer teams afterwards. If you're gonna make the argument of SOS, it should go both ways whereas if you're gonna use dominance than USC should be ranked much lower anyway. They beat a 6-4 Arizona team 17-10 and then beat a 6-4 California team 17-3.

It bugs me that it seems like there's two attitudes towards voting and coaches (and arguably the people who vote) have no idea how the voting works when a team loses and moves up, doesn't play and moves down, or wins by a small margin and moves down anyway.

USC is ranked too high but there's no shame to losing to Oregon State on the road, especially if the dumbass pollsters are going to ignore Florida's loss to Ole Miss at home.

Ball State is the worst 10-0 team of quite some time, but they will deserve an even higher ranking if they run the Michigan gauntlet and win the MAC. Which I don't see happening.

No Gator fan is forgetting that loss, believe me. I realize it was a inexcusable loss, but lest we forget that USC was still very much in the hunt after a loss to a god awful Stanford.

Ball State is the worst 10-0 team of quite some time, but they will deserve an even higher ranking if they run the Michigan gauntlet and win the MAC. Which I don't see happening.

If you think Ball State is the worst 10-0 team of quite some time, you really are one dumb motherfucker. In fact... you are a dumb motherfucker but not just cause of that statement. You are a dumb motherfucker for every fucking post you make in this folder. You don't know what the fuck you are talking about and really need to stay out of this folder.