TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ChrisMWaters

Discussion: Outdoor Shows

Hmm, I have to get people's opinion here.

Do you think WWE should do more outdoor events?

For some reason, and this comes from wathcing WrestleMania XXIV again, I think that events look more...unique...when done outdoors.

Did you do a Mania Marathon or something? I reserve those for February/March.

Outdoor events look great (this is why I actually enjoy Mania IX) but there is too much bad potential for WWE to run them often. Then again, they took the chance their biggest show of the year would run outdoors without a hitch - twice - so I guess they figure with all their safeguards it's cool rain or shine.

Did you do a Mania Marathon or something? I reserve those for February/March.

Outdoor events look great (this is why I actually enjoy Mania IX) but there is too much bad potential for WWE to run them often. Then again, they took the chance their biggest show of the year would run outdoors without a hitch - twice - so I guess they figure with all their safeguards it's cool rain or shine.

I did a general PPV marathon...started a few weeks ago.

Started with Mania 1...then did all the Manias, all the Royal Rumbles, No Way Out 04, ECW Barely Legal, and ECW ONS 05 and 06 in chronological order.

Yes. They should make GAB or Summer Slam into an outdoor event. It doesn't have to be a 70k+ stadium, there are many college stadiums and other general outdoor venues that can accomodate a good sized crowd for a non-WM wrestling event. Weather is always a tricky aspect but it is something that can be worked around. It used to be quite commonplace for promotions to do outdoor events and WWE should resume that.

Yes. They should make GAB or Summer Slam into an outdoor event. It doesn't have to be a 70k+ stadium, there are many college stadiums and other general outdoor venues that can accomodate a good sized crowd for a non-WM wrestling event. Weather is always a tricky aspect but it is something that can be worked around. It used to be quite commonplace for promotions to do outdoor events and WWE should resume that.

As long as they don't do it on a beach with no revenue like WCW used to do.

I vote PNC Park for either.

pnc_park_view.jpg

Doing any kind of outdoor show other than Wrestlemania would be hard for the WWE to do. Doing Wrestlemania's as an outdoor show works out because Wrestlemania's guarantee to sell out, but say doing a Great American Bash or even a Summerslam would be hard to pull off.

Reason 1: WWE puts seats on the field, a lot of seats. So not only does the WWE have to sell out the entire stadium, they'll have to sell seats on the field as well and I really don't think a GAB ppv could pull that kind of ticket sells. Summerslam is a maybe.

Reason 2: Say WWE can't sell out the stadium they're in. Pretty much any wide shots of the entire stadium are taken out because the WWE doesn't want to show rows or sections of empty seats.

Reason 3: The stage/ramp/entrance set up. The stage for the WWE is huge now. So say WWE tries to run a show at a baseball stadium, where does that giant ass stage go? In the outfield? Then the WWE will be cutting off views from the seats, so no one will be sitting in them. So when the camera goes to any over the top wide shot of the fans, the WWE can't show the entire stadium, which will look crappy.

Wrestlemania works because they can sell every seat and more, but doing a GAB is a risky risky chance.

I was going to say Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas would be a perfect outdoor site, and I guess WWE agrees because Wiki says its hosting WM in 2010. I also think Dodger Stadium would make an awsome site with very little risk of rain.

I was going to say Sam Boyd Stadium in Las Vegas would be a perfect outdoor site, and I guess WWE agrees because Wiki says its hosting WM in 2010. I also think Dodger Stadium would make an awsome site with very little risk of rain.

If they are going to be in the Los Angeles area, they would probably use the Home Depot Center instead.

Any stadium with a retractable roof is a good idea. I always thought they could sell out SummerSlam at the Rogers Center in Toronto. If there's any chance of rain, they can always close the roof.

Outdoor Shows do provide a unique ambiance, but unfortunately weather is too large of an unpredictable factor for them to be held with any sort of regularity. WWE took a big risk having WM outdoors this years, and just barely came out unscathed, as it did start raining periodically throughout the event. Weather problems also severely limit the location in which an event could be held. Ideally an area like Las Vegas is the only realistic place to hold them as the weather there is fairly consistent. The weather in the Northeast is extremely volatile no matter what time of year it is, the winter is way too cold and the summer is way too hot, so it would never work out. It's not like baseball either where it can easily be rescheduled for another day, the show would have to go on rain or shine. Outdoor shows also present the issue of having to fill an outdoor arena, which can be difficult, and also the fact that they would likely have to charge much lower prices to convince people to go to a show outdoors then indoors. If you want to see a great example of an outdoor show gone horribly wrong, check out the Hulk Still Rules DVD. There's a Hulk vs Studd match on there that takes place outdoor in Puerto Rico, and about three minutes into the match there's just a complete and total downpour. Everyone starts slipping around, and they go for an immediate finish. Now imagine this happening during the opening match of a Pay Per View.

I agree with Snake. Just have a retractable roof as an insurance policy and you're good. Outdoor shows always look beautiful, so I am in favor of more!

WWE should definitely try and hold SummerSlam in a "roofless" venue.

I agree with spman and mellow - the outdoor shows are beautiful and unique - and I have always been a fan of the shows. I guess thats why I like WM 24 and WM 19 (okay it was closed for the most part but still...) so much.

Summerslam would work if they hype it right. I'd love to see a Northern venus that would not otherwise have the opportunity. Say the Meadowlands' new stadium, or Lincoln Financial Field in Philadelphia.

What was the weather like in Seattle for WrestleMania XIX? That stadium has a retractable roof so that would have been a great chance to do an outdoor WrestleMania. Then again, they did have a pretty elaborate set up, so opening up the roof may have been ruled out due to the lighting setup.

What was the weather like in Seattle for WrestleMania XIX? That stadium has a retractable roof so that would have been a great chance to do an outdoor WrestleMania. Then again, they did have a pretty elaborate set up, so opening up the roof may have been ruled out due to the lighting setup.

They never intended to open the roof. On the day that they announced Safeco as the venue, they indicated that the roof would be closed.

The sides of that venue are always open though. So Mania XIX was a quasi-outdoor event.

Summerslam should always be in an outdoor venue. It fits with the "summer" theme to be honest. The occasional big-name PPV outdoors is a cool concept as well. WM24 looked amazing. I don't think there should be any "lesser" PPVs outdoors, unless they want to make that the GAB's "gimmick".

EDIT - I bet they use Dallas's new stadium eventually.

One of the biggest WWF shows ever was an outdoor event: SummerSlam 1992. Not to mention that Big Event show from 1986 with Hogan/Orndorff. Outdoor shows are a great idea if the weather permits, so maybe the best idea is to do these at retractable roof stadiums. How about a WM at the new stadium in Indianapolis? Indy hasn't had a WM since WM XIII and I would certainly try and go.

Is Minute Maid Park retractable? I know they're going to Houston for Mania so they would have to do it at least the year after.

The WWE should have went to Yankee Stadium or Shea before it closed.

I am for events being outside. I loved the firework display at Wrestlemania.

One of the biggest WWF shows ever was an outdoor event: SummerSlam 1992. Not to mention that Big Event show from 1986 with Hogan/Orndorff. Outdoor shows are a great idea if the weather permits, so maybe the best idea is to do these at retractable roof stadiums. How about a WM at the new stadium in Indianapolis? Indy hasn't had a WM since WM XIII and I would certainly try and go.

Yeah I was going to comment on Big Event. That was the real pre-cursor to WrestleMania III to test if fans would come out in large numbers to see Hogan as champion. Outdoor events should only happen at Mania or SummerSlam for reasons already stated. They do give the event more of a special feel to it.

If you want to see a great example of an outdoor show gone horribly wrong, check out the Hulk Still Rules DVD. There's a Hulk vs Studd match on there that takes place outdoor in Puerto Rico, and about three minutes into the match there's just a complete and total downpour. Everyone starts slipping around, and they go for an immediate finish. Now imagine this happening during the opening match of a Pay Per View.

They showed that show on Vintage Collection a couple of months ago over here in the UK. At first, since I'd heard about the match, I thought "oh, it's not so bad, people must have just over-hyped it". Then the crowd started putting their chairs over their heads. Studd just got the hell out of there.

The funny thing is, Savage and Santana had a match later that night in even worse conditions. Hogan/Studd the mat was just slippy, there was literally a huge puddle in the middle of the ring by the time this match went on. Well, I say match, it was nearly 10 minutes of Savage stalling hiding a foreign object. But it still entertained me.

I'd love to see them do a Summerslam on the beach, financial bust or not.