TSM Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Burning Pirate Ship Sex

WWE Raw - November 17, 2008

They just advertised Finlay being on Batista's team at Survivor Series. Has he replaced R-Truth for some reason?

May have been just a mistaken promo.

BURCHILL APPEARS ON RAW AGAIN!

Aww shit, Vengeance 2001. One of my favorite conclusions to a PPV evah!

How come they didn't show Booker?

Because he's in another company now?

Sarcasm, dawg. I shouda used an emoticon.

It's wild to think about that but Jericho actually is a 5 time world champion now. He had the one blip on the radar WCW run in Oct. 2001, then won it back from The Rock at that Vengeance show, then unified it with the WWF title vs. Austin later that night. Then he won it this year, then regained from Batista. It's funny because I only think of him as a 2 time champ, with that Undisputed run and this current run.

Jericho can keep the world title as long as he likes, given the other options on Raw.

It's too bad the thread is dead, I enjoyed this show.

- I liked the opening. It was great to see ol Hacksaw out there, doing his thing. It also served to let use know that Deuce or maybe Domino still has a spot on the Raw roster. At first I thought it was going to be one of those deals where they say "the entire Raw roster" is there but for mystery reasons, Shawn Michaels is exempt (see: Randy Orton and John Cena vs. The Raw Roster) but he was just hidden really well, I guess. The best part of Santino's rap (besides it being awesome) was CM Punk maintaining character and having a disgusted look on his face while Candice and Kelly are right next to him cracking up. Duggan had a big smile too.

- Kelly needs to wear those pants as often as possible. That was quite the top Candice was wearing for the PG WWE audience too. I believe the Divas elimination match is the first female elimination match since 1995 - they've all been pointless one fall tag matches since then. Not that this will be given time or be good. Maybe they'll have someone from the face side get injured backstage and re-debut Gail? Unlikely.

- Shawn's feud with JBL needs to be done after Survivor Series and a feud with John Morrison must begin.

- Overall, I was happy all the heels won. The old theory is you're supposed to buy PPVs to see the faces get their revenge but all too often these days, you get the face wrestlers standing triumphant after winning a match / beating up and chasing their opponent away from the ring.

So, thumbs up all around.

All the wrestlers (including the faces) laughing and breaking kayfabe during Santino's bit in the opening was awesome.

Mickie James just loses it when he does the little pose at the end of the rap

It was an OK RAW:

- Victoria is so underutilized it's unbelievable. She still looks great considering how much older she is than a lot of the other Divas. I just don't get the finish. If you're gonna have Victoria get her heat back after the roll-up, and get beat down by the RAW Divas, why not let her win, THEN take the beat down? That way she doesn't look like a complete jobber?! Guess we just can't have Kelly Kelly look weak can we? Really, I can't wait for Gail Kim to finally debut. You know her moveset is going to be reduced to nothing (or maybe not considering all the crazy shit *by WWE standards* that they let Evan Bourne do), but she should be able to do a lot of good matches in whatever brand she's put on.

- Holy Crap at Miz and Morrison getting a clean win over Mysterio and HBK with HBK's own finisher.

- I know Punk is a tag champ now and everything, but I don't get the constant loses in singles competition. Storyline wise, with the way everyone was calling him a fluke champion, it's mostly been proven true. Orton punted his head to cause him to lose his Championship without even being in the Scramble match, and Punk still get's beat by Orton somewhat cleanly (oh wow, Regal touched Punk's ankle). Then again, you couldn't have Orton lose in the match either, since he's a team captain at Survivor Series, and he needs to look strong going into the show.

- File Burchill with Victoria in the "Being Criminally Underutilized" department. My thing regarding Burchill is either use the guy, or let him go. I've watched some of his old indy clips from Europe on YouTube, and the guy has more agility and power than someone of his size has a right to have.

- I agree that something fishy is in the works between Jericho and Stephanie.

Jericho... getting help from STEPHANIE MCMAHON to retain a championship... I know it's not 2000 anymore, but that just seems so... wrong.

By the way, 11 fucking years with the company and Michael Cole is still terrible. I had forgotten how awful he is because I generally don't watch SD, but seriously, it's the same stupid shit every week with him. Can a heel EVER win a match without "stealing one"? Can he NOT telegraph a close near fall? Christ.

Oh, and him and Lawler bitching about Morrison not even being legal to deliver the superkick when Mysterio (also illegal) pulled off about three or four moves on Miz just 10 seconds before... brilliant work, boys.

I suspect it's because I've been playing a lot of SvR 09, but Cole was REALLY sounding like his video game self on Raw, just randomly throwing out information about the people in the ring.

The positive to that is it seemed they were trying to give out a lot of history notes about characters and feuds. Taking time to do things like this is a good way to retain new viewers (hint hint, other wrestling company), though with their 2.9 rating it's not like they had any.

Jericho... getting help from STEPHANIE MCMAHON to retain a championship... I know it's not 2000 anymore, but that just seems so... wrong.

By the way, 11 fucking years with the company and Michael Cole is still terrible. I had forgotten how awful he is because I generally don't watch SD, but seriously, it's the same stupid shit every week with him. Can a heel EVER win a match without "stealing one"? Can he NOT telegraph a close near fall? Christ.

Oh, and him and Lawler bitching about Morrison not even being legal to deliver the superkick when Mysterio (also illegal) pulled off about three or four moves on Miz just 10 seconds before... brilliant work, boys.

Both of them are bad. There was also the line right after the pin with Morrison acting like he just won the World Series and Lawler says "I bet Morrison thinks it was his move that won them the match!" Well, it WAS.

The positive to that is it seemed they were trying to give out a lot of history notes about characters and feuds. Taking time to do things like this is a good way to retain new viewers (hint hint, other wrestling company), though with their 2.9 rating it's not like they had any.

I agree, to a point.

The problem with that is, and it's my main gripe with Cole who I don't think is as bad in general as most do, when Cole does it he tends to quote entire promos. I swear he repeated that Kane promo about Mysterio near verbatum 5 times in the run-up to Cyber Sunday. Just keep it to the point, there's no need to repeat word for word what somebody said three weeks ago.

The problem with that is, and it's my main gripe with Cole who I don't think is as bad in general as most do, when Cole does it he tends to quote entire promos. I swear he repeated that Kane promo about Mysterio near verbatum 5 times in the run-up to Cyber Sunday. Just keep it to the point, there's no need to repeat word for word what somebody said three weeks ago.

If someone's promo consists of words like "fart" and "family jewels", Cole would probably quote that too.

I agree, to a point.

You can tell when Cole has McMahon in his ear on the headset. He'll be having a normal conversation, then reach a talking point about a wrestler or a feud that needs to be put over to the audience and he just loses all rhythm. He just sounds so forced sometimes.

"Kane is so... CONFLICTED~! as of late."

"John Cena... the CONTROVERSIAL~!!! former WWE champion!"

I still hate Mike Tenay and Don West more. But I used to like the old Lawler better, you know, the one that supported the heels and acted as a foil to J.R. I don't mind Cole but Morrison coming in and superkicking HBK's head off doesn not warrant a NOT THIS WAY NOT THIS WAY scream.

But I used to like the old Lawler better, you know, the one that supported the heels and acted as a foil to J.R.

Lawler's been a face for too long, and it happened just because Evolution beat him up 4 years ago.

Whatever happened to the days of a heel color anyway?

You had Heenan in WCW and The Body and Lawler in the WWF. Those were some great color guys and now each announcer is exactly the same. There is no play off each other, nothing. It's just two guys repeating back and forth to each other how much they love the face wrestler and hate that darn heel guy.